• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Next step?

tlandegent

Hello dg-ers,

This past summer, I hit my nearby course at least once every day, watched a pile of discraft's youtube videos, posted a few key questions here, and improved my game dramatically. I've been pumped to run into the problem of consistently overthrowing holes with my drivers. I recently played a whole round without my drivers, only my Leopard and Polecat... and still got -3. Wow... good problem. Here's where I was... here's where I am now... what is the next step?

Home Course - Le Mars, IA Municipal Park (open, beginner course)
Was:
2-4 shots on 250 foot holes
Avg. max drive = 225 ft (FH)
Max tomahawk distance = 150 ft
Putting within 30 ft = always at least 2 shots
Shots: FH, tommy, big hyzers, RH putt

Now:
2-3 shots on 250 ft. holes
Avg. max drive = 325-350 (now BH)
Max tomahawk distance = 225
Putting withing 30 = 40/60 1-2 shots
Shots: FH, BH (holy crap, power grip is awesome), tommy, annies, hyzers

My current arsenal:
Avenger - 174g
Champ Valk - 175g
Pro D Buzzz - 168g
DX Leopard - 160g
DX Polecat - 170g

I know there's many more shot types out there... some of them I've seen videos of and tried to do myself, but no luck. Haha. Where I live, there are disc players, but none of them are very good, so I haven't been around a local pro, nor is there one.
I shied away from the Iowa State Tourney this summer because of the driving time and not knowing ANY tourney rules. I've yet to be in one.

So there's the dirt on me as a growing disc golfer... what's next? How can I still improve? Shots to learn? I know I'm not even at an intermediate level in my game, so don't think this is my "I AM EPIC" factsheet post... I just wanna learn more. Have at it, all!

Last edited:
pray you don't regress... :)

Seriously, now it just sounds like you need to go out and just keep playing new courses to give to new challenges to think about. Practice throwing thumbers as well as tomahawk shots, and continue working on your putts by using things like perfect putt 360. It sounds like you have the will, now just keep practicing. Also, are you equally good backhand and forehand? You may want to focus on that as well.

Working with a stable putter (Wizard, Warlock, BB Aviar, Challenger, Banger, etc.) and a stable midrange (Roc, Wasp, Buzzz, etc) will help out a lot. Those are pretty much the two most important slots in any bag.

Great feedback all...
Solomon, I've been using my leopard for tomahawk. Finally figuring out how a disc wants to move, then throwing it accordingly... wow... it's pretty cool.

SRM520 - I've heard of perfect putt 360, I'll try it out. Thumbers are my next venture.
Since learning the BH power grip, I almost use that exclusively (I had a HORRIBLE BH grip before this summer and threw only FH). I guess working my FH wouldn't be a bad idea.

Garublador - I've been learning to throw my Buzzz, but another solid putter may not be a bad idea. Lots of people have said good stuff about the wizard and the magnet. I'll have to check em out!

Thanks all...

Yeah, another putter might do you some good, most serious DG'ers don't really rep the Polecat. 2nd the thumber advice, you might want to switch the weights of your drivers with your mids, most like driver weights in the 165-172 range and 170-to maxed out weight mids.

Congratulations on your improvement! I've got a couple of thoughts on the tomahawk, as I'm a particular fan of it, and honestly don't think most players are aware of its full potential.

First off, try tomahawking your Valkyrie. It may fly farther for you, since it's a faster, more stable disc than the Leopard. It may be counterintuitive, but the more stable-towards-overstable a disc is, the later and slower it will flip underside up. You may find a couple of discs in your bag will give you different lines for your tomahawk that you'll use for different sitations, just like you would with a backhand drive. For example, my Coyote gives me a nice "S-curve" tomahawk approach that's really handy in the right situation, but my bread-and-butter tommy approach disc is my Cro.

Second, you don't have to throw a tomahawk high up in the air. You might get a little more max-distance that way, but there are some wonderful uses for throwing a low line-drive tomahawk. With practice, you can sneak this kind of throw through some surprisingly narrow hallways. For this I recommend a Valkyrie or faster disc.

Third, experiment with different tomahawk release angles. If you get the right feel for it, you can plan for your disc to meet the ground just as it is exactly inverted upside down. This will result in a nice controlled scooby-type slide on the flight plate. I find that's a more predictable finish than having it land on edge.

Finally, I'd like to echo others' recommendations to continue working on your forehand and thumber. There are people who can throw the forehand way out over 300', which can be really useful on some courses, and I've met a local pro who's right deadly with his thumber out to over 300' as well. He claims to be able to BH drive a disc out to 600', so I don't know if I'll ever throw a thumber that far, but it's certainly worth working on. :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the amazing improvement. You remind me of me but are actually much better...sad to say. I would echo some of the suggestions (keep working with your Buzz it is my favorite disc) and try a Titanic. It is the same mold as the Magnet but lasts much longer. I just picked one up and am very impressed.

Latest posts