• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nicknames for Holes

Tiny

Double Eagle Member
Do any of you give nicknames for holes at your home courses? I give most of mine a nickname. Just curious what others have called theirs.

Hole 1 - The Pedestrian Battle Royale. - There is always pedestrians on the fairway, there is a certain bench that I move out of the way almost every time I play the course. Every time it's moved back into the fairway :/
Hole 12 - The Gulch of Frogs. - to the right there is a gulch with a ton of frogs in it.

I call hole 6 at fallasburg the lumberjack hole. As there are a bunch of trees.

Haha my friends dg club is called the lumberjacks. I call 3b at bicentennial the Faux Hole. Due to it not being a real hole. It's an extra basket for 18. Lol

Hole 4 Mesker Park - Sasquatch - Named for the large tree that is 75' in front of teepad, whose long arms knock your disc down, like I assume Sasquatch would do?
Hole 14 Mesker Park - Devil's Triangle - This is an island hole. The way the roads come together makes the island into a triangle.
Hole 8 Atkinson Park - Valley of Souls - It's a 440' shot across a valley.
Holes 10 & 11 Atkinson Park - Dolly Parton - Baskets are on mounds.
Hole 14 Atkinson Park - Thumb City - Thumber is the primary shot choice here.

Sometimes, you almost have to nickname the holes...
I did so at Williamsburg
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=879&page=1&mode=rev#38589
because I always got confused at the numbering. :confused:
If holes had nicknames as a standard practice, course redesign would allow for more continuity.
It's frustrating as a noob to have folks tell you to start on 'old 16' when you aren't aware they added four holes in the middle a few years ago! :doh:

Shawshank's holes in Huntsville, TX all have prison related names.

the fourth holes plays open about 100ft to a grid of trees and the basket in the middle about another 150 ft. so the first four holes are:
1. 1st offense
2. 2nd offense
3. 3rd offense
4. Jail

There's a long par four that has a clear fairway and lined with rows of trees. This one is called the green mile. 16 which is a shot about 250 across a pond with the basket on a pedestal its called conjugal visit.

Gauntlet at Hornets Nest
Cedar Ally - Bradford 8-11

Im sure there are more in Charlotte but my mind is failing me right now.

We name courses more here.

Angry Beaver
Scrapyard - Idlewild
Eager Beaver
Mule Trail
Nightmare - Nevin
Charlotte's Web - Hornets Nest
Plantation Ruins - Winget

We call hole A on the Monster course at Hudson Mills the A hole. Not very clever, but accurate. Where holes A,F, and 14 come together, we call that malfunction junction. Tourney back ups centralized in one spot, very convenient for water distribution. I love the naming tradition at some ball golf courses, disc golfers make up more colorful names, I think.

Hole 7 at bradford "Schleppy's family jewel".

The Freak:

ab09a2b5.jpg

It's frustrating as a noob to have folks tell you to start on 'old 16' when you aren't aware they added four holes in the middle a few years ago! :doh:

I know a course that has had several redesigns for expansion in the past 4 years. When you end up saying "old old 9," it gets even worse. Nicknames are definitely a benefit.

I don't do this but I'm going to start calling #4 Gold at Leigh Farm "F_@K" because that's what I think every time I step on the tee.

I have a couple of nicknames for holes at Flip City:

hole 3a, most people call this "vietnam" for the amount of trees... I've begun to call it "the john mccain experience..."
1099220c_m.jpg

hole 6a, I call this "the intimidator"
eaf2da89.jpg

93a90607_m.jpg

Hole #16 at Ham Lake in Ham Lake, MN was called the Devils Vagina before they ended up taking the back half of the course out due to flooding and punks vandalizing the course. Basically the hole is 175 ft but you have a couple lines at it that are 3 ft wide basically you have to throw a skip shot into a wet or muddy area. There are a thousand small trees in the middle so you cant go over it either.

I call hole 6 at fallasburg the lumberjack hole. As there are a bunch of trees.

That is pretty fitting name for that hole, found snow still sitting on the north side of that hill once in early summer, pretty crazy. A good nickname for hole 5 there is "f*cking imposible"

We nicknamed Hole 12 at Cass Benton "Island Thunder" after my dyslexic friend called it this while reading its true name on the sign "Swamp Monster".