• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night Time DG?

Ok, another question. How do you see the baskets? Do the courses provide lights or is there a product(s) that you can put on the pole? Thanks

Lots of people hang glow sticks on them. Ive also heard of people aiming flashlights from the top of them.

I love night DG. I use LEDs with the watch batteries. I also have a few nighttime fishing bobber LEDs. The baskets we play on are lit up by park lights for the most part.

I'm a bit nervous about the idea of playing night time dg - which won't happen until May with my group at Horning's Hideout in North Plains, Oregon.

I have a large LED flashlight that I put on top of the basket faceing down. It is a little hard to throw in the dark though. This is in Brenham ,TX at 10:30 at night. I am still suprised the cops didn't stop when they drove by.

0202092300.jpg

0202092259.jpg

I just want to say, I don't know if is the chains or what, by these baskets at this course are some of the best catching baskets I have ever seen.

Guess I'm one of the lucky few, but we have a course about 6 miles away that has lights, and during the summer is open until 10-11pm. It's on a par 3 golf course/driving range/putt-putt course. You utilize the fairways that the ball golfers use, and then the basket is tucked away into the woods each hole away from the ball golf hole. There are a few areas on the course where even the lights don't get to very well, but overall it's bright enough to play. It's only 9 holes, but it is a lot of fun. I do have a glow sidewinder, and if you use a good flashlight, it holds it's "charge" for a good 2 hours.

Guess I'm one of the lucky few, but we have a course about 6 miles away that has lights, and during the summer is open until 10-11pm. It's on a par 3 golf course/driving range/putt-putt course. You utilize the fairways that the ball golfers use, and then the basket is tucked away into the woods each hole away from the ball golf hole. There are a few areas on the course where even the lights don't get to very well, but overall it's bright enough to play. It's only 9 holes, but it is a lot of fun. I do have a glow sidewinder, and if you use a good flashlight, it holds it's "charge" for a good 2 hours.

Is that Tupelo Bay?

One thing to remember about the Nite-Ize attachment is that because you have to punch a hole in the disc to install it, you won't be able to use the disc in an "official" PDGA tournament. It's a good idea, and I'm sure it works really well, but before you buy it, be aware that it's going to be a permanent attachment.

I was practicing at the school field in my neighborhood and some bitch called the cops on me last night! So I had a nice chat with the police again. The cop said its private property, and I said the sign says it only closed from 11pm - 5am, and it was only 1030pm. He then said well I'm not argue that and left. He laughed after I told him I was just practicing disc golf. I can't believe someone called the cops, its not like there's any kids to molest out there at that hour.

I was practicing at the school field in my neighborhood and some bitch called the cops on me last night! So I had a nice chat with the police again. The cop said its private property, and I said the sign says it only closed from 11pm - 5am, and it was only 1030pm. He then said well I'm not argue that and left. He laughed after I told him I was just practicing disc golf. I can't believe someone called the cops, its not like there's any kids to molest out there at that hour.

I love it when people call the cops on you and you're not doing anything wrong (not that it happens to me).

Talking about a different type of night time disc golf, has anyone played disc golf in Alaska or Canada in the summer, when it doesn't get dark until midnight? With Alaska only having a couple hours of darkness each night during the summer, I think someone needs to have an all-day tourney, where you're playing for 18 - 20 hours straight.

Also make sure the park is open after dark or doesnt close at 6pm. I found out the hard way by being arrested, although they let me off with a warning. They asked me what I was doin in the park while I have five glow discs and flashlite in my hands! Um...I was smoking crack with these discs and the flashlite shoots fire!
when i read the part about the crack i almost crapped myself thats hillarious . the only con i can think of is hearing a big buck moving around and not being able to see anything that sux . i heard a croc once and decided to skip the water holes .

What are your thoughts on reviewing/rating night courses? Should a course have a seperate rating for night play?

I know most courses arent designed specifically for night play but occasionally youll find some that are. Chestnut Grove at Highbridge Hills in WI, for instance, was built intended for the campers. As a day course its just ho hum but when the sun goes down it transforms into an amazing disc golf experience. Saturday nights has the bonfire as a fire hazard where you actually throw through the inferno!

Like I said, during the day its a pretty simple course but when you bring in the elements of darkness and hidden obstacles it becomes a little more challenging. So how dow we rate that in comparison with day play?

Wow, thread rises from the grave....

What are your thoughts on reviewing/rating night courses? Should a course have a seperate rating for night play?
There are a few courses on here that have a novelty aspect to them. You review them the same as any course and point this out in the review.

No, they should not have a separate rating.

I'd rather play a "real" course in the dark, Blueberry was a much more enjoyable night adventure as far as I'm concerned. Chestnut made me want to shove rusty nails into my eyeballs with what other options are available, both at night and during the day... but I suppose it's the experience that makes it, I might enjoy it more if there were a bonfire, ample beer and a fun crowd of people.

Last edited:
I'd rather play a "real" course in the dark, Blueberry was a much more enjoyable night adventure as far as I'm concerned. Chestnut made me want to shove rusty nails into my eyeballs with what other options are available, both at night and during the day... but I suppose it's the experience that makes it, I might enjoy it more if there were a bonfire, ample beer and a fun crowd of people.

Yeah, the bonfire, ample beer, fun crowd, and live music definately helped make the experience more memorable! The 18 foot basket with giant basket mowed into the hillside is a pretty cool Highbridge Hills landmark worth seeeing as well!

As far as comparing it to Blueberry, well... there is no comparison. Just thought the entire "experience" that came with Chestnut Grove was worth noting!

Latest posts