• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko Calls Foot Fault on Gurthie ... "Don't you shake his hand, bro.."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its tough to judge from that angle. His right foot could be back from the mini, and left foot be forward of his right one, but still not fouling. Your lines could be off too Dave.

What is closer to the basket in this picture, the little white dot (between the back of the mini and the yellow arrow) or the back of the mini

attachment.php

BTW, I agree with you NOS that these pictures do not "prove" anything....I am just messing around with ideas for the Internet Marshall Plan. :D

Your lines could be off too Dave.

No doubt about that....but I tried hard to be off clearly in favor of RW, and I could not get far enough off to make it seem legal to me.

Attachments

• FFRWg.jpg
    FFRWg.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Like i said, that angle is tough.
The pic is at an angle. He is standing at an angle. Tough call. I could see someone making that call because of how close it is. I wouldnt make it based on that angle and I wouldnt second it either. I could be wrong in that spot. But if it isnt conclusive, im not calling it.

it's so tough to look at the dot and the mini, because my eye sees the dot ON the screen, and the mini IN the screen, ya know?

Look a the little light colored fleck on the ground that the yellow arrow is pointing at. (hint - his toe lines up with that after he steps forward)

I'm starting to think this Internet Marshall thing is not such a hot idea. Angles are so hard to capture and LOP is so hard to visualize and capture too on curving fairways.....and that is probably important to get right in a big majority of stance violation cases. It is hard enough in real life as 3Putt aptly noted upthread.

Wait wasn't this thread locked yesterday?

Who the hell has the burglar kit? ;)

If someone had seconded it, he would get to rethrow with no penalty. Maybe Nikko was trying to do him a solid?

He may have been doing him a solid or either a kindness.

:)

another proud member of team suggested guidelines for play checking in. the association appreciates your support. ill ask again why call them rules when so many people would rather ask why they have to call the rules?

I'm not saying don't follow the rules. I'm saying I don't go out looking at a player's foot as they throw. Obviously if the foot position is egregious then you would notice it. I didn't think it was in the video. Rules should be followed. If he felt it was a ff then he should call it.

Look a the little light colored fleck on the ground that the yellow arrow is pointing at. (hint - his toe lines up with that after he steps forward)

I'm starting to think this Internet Marshall thing is not such a hot idea. Angles are so hard to capture and LOP is so hard to visualize and capture too on curving fairways.....and that is probably important to get right in a big majority of stance violation cases. It is hard enough in real life as 3Putt aptly noted upthread.

Ya, I'm afraid all it does for me is prove how incredibly hard it would be to actually call these rules as they are written in real time. It definitely isn't "straightforward" to call these rules consistently every time they occur. It isn't even straightforward to call them with videos and images using photoshop.

In my opinion, only the most egregious and obvious violations are worth calling, especially if they give an obvious advantage. The rest of the time if the player is making an effort to throw from where their disc landed and they don't get an advantage, I'm going to let that pass. To me the spirit of the game here is clear - throw with one foot next to where your disc landed, and get no closer to the Pin.

Last edited:
Just asked my 9-year old daughter, who plays, but has no idea what this discussion is about. I asked her which is closer -- the back of the mini (i.e. his toe) or the white dot. She said the back of the mini.

Yay, another single data point!

Wow, I go to work, and the Avengers have already assembled. Or are we the League of Extraordinary Gentleman?

Status
Not open for further replies.