• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No 10 Meter Circle

Should we:

• Eliminate the 10m Circle

Votes: 61 24.6%
  • Keep the 10m Circle as is

Votes: 147 59.3%
  • Allow course designers to designate custom areas where stand-still putting is required

Votes: 28 11.3%
  • Players can jump from behind their lie and shoot before touching down.

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters
Making every throw, including a drive, a standstill

:clap:

Please don't encourage him...ever...;)

I agree with you brutalbrutus how does this make it a standstill? The player can still do a run up to the marker but can't go over the marker on any throw until the disc has come to rest with supporting ground contact points. That eliminates the walk through putt, and the over the marker jump putt but still allows jump style putting behind the Marker, be it a disc or a mini. Tepad rules are the same. Yes this makes game play a bit longer waiting for the disc to come to rest but hey it would About 5-10 min more per round at most.

I did point out the one flaw that could happen if unlucky at most 1% of the time in PDGA Sanctioned tournaments and disc just keeps going forever.

Last edited:
Can we add an option that course designers who place baskets within 10 meters of OB should be stoned to death?

There's nothing wrong with doing that Jenb. As long as there is room to land a well thrown shot if you chose to go for it and a bail out zone if you dont, that's exactly the kind of thing that should be used to test the top players.

Should it be every hole? No, but there should always be greens on the course have risk/reward. That's how you get scoring separation. There should be a variety of holes on the courses that test your ability to control the disc at different points in the flight. Beginning, middle and end.

Last edited:
I agree with you brutalbrutus how does this make it a standstill? The player can still do a run up to the marker but can't go over the marker on any throw until the disc has come to rest with supporting ground contact points. That eliminates the walk through putt, and the over the marker jump putt but still allows jump style putting behind the Marker, be it a disc or a mini. Tepad rules are the same. Yes this makes game play a bit longer waiting for the disc to come to rest but hey it would About 5-10 min more per round at most.

I did point out the one flaw that could happen if unlucky at most 1% of the time in PDGA Sanctioned tournaments and disc just keeps going forever.

Welcome to physics. I'll call your foot fault on 100% of your throws.

There's nothing wrong with doing that Jenb. As long as there is room to land a well thrown shot if you chose to go for it and a bail out zone if you dont, that's exactly the kind of thing that should be used to test the top players.

Should it be every hole? No, but there should always be greens on the course have risk/reward. That's how you get scoring separation. There should be a variety of holes on the courses that test your ability to control the disc at different points in the flight. Beginning, middle and end.

I recall an article, though I can't find it now, where a poll of the pros indicated that obstacles that force a certain line of approach are considered fair. But a basket on the edge of a cliff or water is widely loathed. No one wants to lose their putter. And even OB string is not considered fair. So trees, bushes, etc are ok, but there needs to be a fair landing area around the basket. The point is, there is no risk/reward without both a high risk/reward route and a safe route that has lower reward. Failure to provide a 10 meter landing zone is viewed as there being no safe route. All players are forced to assume high risk.

How many thousands of holes would have to be changed in order for your plan to be implemented? Of course pros are going to side against having OB near the basket, it makes their job harder. If you are worried about losing your putter then layup or throw an approach shot that leaves you on the best side of the basket to have a safe run.

Last edited:
How many thousands of holes would have to be changed in order for your plan to be implemented? Of course pros are going to side against having OB near the basket, it makes their job harder. If you are worried about losing your putter then layup or throw an approach shot that leaves you on the best side of the basket to have a safe run.

It would spoil all of the courses I play regularly, for starters.

There's always a safe landing zone---it's just not always centered on the basket.

It strikes me that, as pros and others are trying to drum up spectator interest that would lead to sponsorships and more money, "safe" greens might not be the way to go. Pro putting inside the circle is already boring enough---a little excitement, on the approach or putts, shouldn't be feared.

It can be done poorly, of course, but that's not a reason to never do it.

However, I'll compromise on the "being stoned to death" part, and advise those carrying rocks to take Stoney Hill off their bucket list. There's only 1 green with a level, treeless, OB-less circle, and we only did that to throw people off.

Yea. Coming from a golf background, having a good/bad side of the target just seems like a natural thing to me. The phrase "don't shortside yourself" comes to mind. I get that losing discs sucks but no one is forcing them to play the course.

Side benefit of abolishing the circle (and allowing current outside-the-circle rules, everywhere):
no worries about whether OB is inside the circle.

Welcome to physics. I'll call your foot fault on 100% of your throws.

I worded it wired but the Physics you can have the ground contact points stay behind the mini or disc marking the lie and not foot fault or body fault while still having a run up behind the mini. The new rule just means when you end your throw as disc about to leave your hands you have to be in the contact point of __cm X __cm size of a piece of A4 printer paper to the mini in any direction. It was supposed to make foot faults easier but in my mind may have made things a bit harder as you during tournaments now need to carry the paper to have the foot fault called on players who seem to constantly flirt with this rule. I always had the feet being the disc/mini during my throw in PDGA tournaments with the ground contact points except when the rules allowed me to stand on the fallen tree above my lie as I could not get to my disc to throw. Yep same hole a player bashed be with an Avenger he put OS on in Sharpie in the exact way they had it on other discs in 2008.

My rule eliminates jump putts or jumps on a overhand throw at any point now that I think about it, even behind the marker jump putts. Nobody releases discs on an X step while they are in the air, they have at least one contact point on the ground at all times. Neither do they on a forehand shot.

The current issue is that some cases are too close to call. (The issue of players being unwilling to call them is something else).

And, for some people, an aesthetic objection to jump putts and step-through putts, beyond the difficult call.

Your solution is to keep the player on the lie---prohibit follow-throughs, even for long full-power fairway shots, and to nail the thrower to that spot until the disc comes to rest, however long it may take, and whether it's visible or not.

My own opinion would be that it's a cure that's worse than the disease.

I recall an article, though I can't find it now, where a poll of the pros indicated that obstacles that force a certain line of approach are considered fair. But a basket on the edge of a cliff or water is widely loathed. No one wants to lose their putter. And even OB string is not considered fair. So trees, bushes, etc are ok, but there needs to be a fair landing area around the basket. The point is, there is no risk/reward without both a high risk/reward route and a safe route that has lower reward. Failure to provide a 10 meter landing zone is viewed as there being no safe route. All players are forced to assume high risk.

Eh, it's a balancing act. Put too much OB around a green and you get layups and nobody wants that. That's the natural deterrent. Punishing over or under throws or forcing the left/right side is necessary for design, especially to combat Par 2 syndrome and to keep putting from being too easy. But I see your side of it, too. My biggest pet peeve is OB around greens that can lose putters. Barely missing your putt, catching edge and having it roll into the drink to be gone forever is unnecessarily harsh. Lining the bank with logs or something to catch rollaways but not necessarily skips is something I'd like to see more of.

I don't like a lot of obstacles within the circle either. Skinny trees or similar that force players to straddle out and hinder putts are ideal but impenetrable plants that wall you off from a putt within the circle are stupid. I hate seeing practically perfect drives ruined b/c it took a skip behind the conifer so that the player has to pitch out or throw a cut roller.

Another point is that folks are saying that OB greens are needed for top pros or gold courses. But then there aren't other pin positions for casual play, and both pro and am tees/fields play to the same punishing pin in casual/tournament play..

When I started this thread in 2014, my main goal was to simplify the rulebook and eliminate some tough calls.

As my kids have grown a bit, I've realized that maybe the best reason to eliminate the "10m-show-balance" rule is for our growing demographic that is younger, weaker, or may have disabilities.

If full grown males need to follow through for a clean shot at 10.1m, consider being a 5-year old.

Latest posts