• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Distance Drivers Until Summer

sengenberger

Par Member
I have decided to forgo distance drivers until my technique is down. I can toss the fairways out to 325' consistently and the midranges around 300'. Here is what remains:

Fairway Drivers-
171 Star TL- my turnover driver and for laser straight shots
161 KC Pro Teebird- my main driver, kinda flippy because of its weight
175 Vibram Ascent- my stable driver, thinking about replacing it with a Star Eagle or heavier Teebird
173 Elite Z Predator- my overstable driver and utility disc

Midranges-
150 KC Pro Roc- My turnover midrange and for shorter shots that I don't need a lot of power on. I think the lower weight will help me get my throwing technique down
177 Elite Z Buzzz- new and stable, my workhorse midrange
178 Elite Z Buzzz- backup Buzzz, slightly more worn but still stable
175 Hornet/Drone/Gator- overstable midrange(s). I am trying to find which one I like best for now

Putters-
175 Soft Magnet- main putter inside 30'
175 SSS Wizard- my putter off the tee and I am starting to fall in love with it as a main putter as well

I'm still wondering if I have any holes or if I am going in the right direction with this. Any feedback would be great. I also have a KC Pro Whippet and a GL River in my box o' discs.

I used a setup exactly like this for a few months I'd rock a DX TB it will be stable then beat understable...Champ TB start out slightly overstable and beat stable...and a EX of your choice that will be more of utility line-shaping disc. Pred to handle the wind and overstable duties and you'd be set.

You'll learn a lot about shaping distance lines throwing slower discs on holes you used to crush a driver on. I put my drivers back in after about 2mo. and added a fairly consistent 20-30ft to my drives.

I think this is a good practice bag. To really get the results, field practice at least 1-2 times per week for just 30minutes...obviously more is better, but being realistic here. You've got the right idea in paying attention to the lighter discs, they'll be more telling of form flaws. Finally, videotaping your field practice is a really good way to get an unbiased opinion (the camera) on what you're doing right vs. wrong.

I was really happy after getting hardcore and practicing this past fall...now that the holidays are over and all I did was play for fun I'm about to get back down to business and practice hard again. I think if you stick to it you'll be really pleased with the results.

I have decided to forgo distance drivers until my technique is down. I can toss the fairways out to 325' consistently and the midranges around 300'. Here is what remains:

Fairway Drivers-
171 Star TL- my turnover driver and for laser straight shots
161 KC Pro Teebird- my main driver, kinda flippy because of its weight
175 Vibram Ascent- my stable driver, thinking about replacing it with a Star Eagle or heavier Teebird
173 Elite Z Predator- my overstable driver and utility disc

Midranges-
150 KC Pro Roc- My turnover midrange and for shorter shots that I don't need a lot of power on. I think the lower weight will help me get my throwing technique down
177 Elite Z Buzzz- new and stable, my workhorse midrange
178 Elite Z Buzzz- backup Buzzz, slightly more worn but still stable
175 Hornet/Drone/Gator- overstable midrange(s). I am trying to find which one I like best for now

Putters-
175 Soft Magnet- main putter inside 30'
175 SSS Wizard- my putter off the tee and I am starting to fall in love with it as a main putter as well

I'm still wondering if I have any holes or if I am going in the right direction with this. Any feedback would be great. I also have a KC Pro Whippet and a GL River in my box o' discs.

I like where your head's at with these thoughts. It's nice to have multiples of your favorite mold so that you can get more reps in on the field. A S or SS Wiz could do nicely to fill the driving putter gap if the SSS Wiz kicks out the Magnet.

My only real critique is that I'd rather see you throw a Fuse, Aurora MS, Meteor, worn Buzzz or something similar than a 150 Roc for an understable mid. If you want to keep a lightweight in the bag for touch shots and form then I'd opt for a lid like a Polecat or Rattler, Mark Ellis seems to like them. Plus they're great for warming up with by playing catch before a round.

Solid bag either way though. :)

I have replaced my Ascent with a 175 Champ Teebird
thank you all for your feedback, and BrotherDave, i am still looking for an understable mid since the store down here hasnt gotten a new shipment in for a while...maybe ill shell out for a Comet

Latest posts