• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No fairway drivers?

Vonbeezy1

Banned
Do any competitive players on here not bag any fairway drivers? I stopped bagging them a month or so ago and have not noticed the difference. I figure why take up extra space I don't need.
Here is my current setup
2 wizards
2 magics
3 rocs
Firechicken
2 thunderbirds (overstable, dead straight)
Sidewinder
Roadrunner
2 xcals
Blizzard destroyer

Do any competitive players on here not bag any fairway drivers? I stopped bagging them a month or so ago and have not noticed the difference. I figure why take up extra space I don't need.
Here is my current setup
2 wizards
2 magics
3 rocs
Firechicken
2 thunderbirds (overstable, dead straight)
Sidewinder
Roadrunner
2 xcals
Blizzard destroyer

Don't want to get too much into semantics and where the line is drawn between fairway/control driver and distance driver, but I'd say the thunderbirds, sidewinder, roadrunner would be considered by some as control drivers. Firebird, too, for that matter.

But your point is noted. For the courses some people play on, there's a range that may be 'not needed'. For me, that range is between my Valkyrie and Thunderbird up to the Wave... just don't truly need anything else between them.

Don't want to get too much into semantics and where the line is drawn between fairway/control driver and distance driver, but I'd say the thunderbirds, sidewinder, roadrunner would be considered by some as control drivers. Firebird, too, for that matter.

But your point is noted. For the courses some people play on, there's a range that may be 'not needed'. For me, that range is between my Valkyrie and Thunderbird up to the Wave... just don't truly need anything else between them.

Yep on both points.

Those are all fairway drivers, and I don't carry anything between a speed 5 and a speed 9 and between a speed 9 and speed 13.

2 years ago I carried one River and never used it. I now carry 7 speed 6-9 drivers and less actual distance drivers. I'm old, don't have a canon for and arm and when I'm playing well, I can throw a Teebird as far as any of my distance drivers with far more accuracy. It's always good to know the point of diminishing returns.

Guess it depends on your game, distance and the types of courses you play.

I'm old, don't have a canon for and arm and when I'm playing well, I can throw a Teebird as far as any of my distance drivers with far more accuracy.

Same. My go-to driver is still my Leopard, and I get it 275' - 300' accurately. I do about the same with a Teebird. I bag an Orc and can occasionally get another 25' out of it, but that is about it. I mostly play wooded courses where accuracy far outweighs distance, so it is mostly fairway drivers for me.

Same. My go-to driver is still my Leopard, and I get it 275' - 300' accurately. I do about the same with a Teebird. I bag an Orc and can occasionally get another 25' out of it, but that is about it. I mostly play wooded courses where accuracy far outweighs distance, so it is mostly fairway drivers for me.

This. I agree with grotto about diminishing returns, too. I don't throw a Leopard 300 feet, but I've found that my TL and I have grown into each other to the point that I could play a 3-disc round with a Colt, TL, and Wave and do just fine.

I did find that I can get the Wave significantly farther than other drivers of its speed range as well as the control drivers, and that's all I need for my max distance driver.

Same. My go-to driver is still my Leopard, and I get it 275' - 300' accurately. I do about the same with a Teebird.

Yep, ditto. Except I substitute an FD for longer shots over the Leo.

Depends on the courses you play...I love speed 7ish stuff because it goes far with minimal effort and generally doesn't fade that much. If you have wooded/tight courses then I think it's super useful to have, since it's easy to shape shots and you don't get punished as badly on poor releases. But if you play more open courses, I can see just going up to speed 9ish stuff. If I have a 330' tunnel shot I'd way rather throw a Teebird than a Thunderbird for example. But if it's an open 330' shot you can just hyzer bomb something in there and be done with it.

I just like them for being able to get easy distance, where you need to hit a gap and you don't necessarily want to throw it harder than ~70%. I prefer that than to going up to a higher speed control driver that you have to throw a certain speed or else it'll start acting too stable.

Depends on the courses you play...I love speed 7ish stuff because it goes far with minimal effort and generally doesn't fade that much. If you have wooded/tight courses then I think it's super useful to have, since it's easy to shape shots and you don't get punished as badly on poor releases. But if you play more open courses, I can see just going up to speed 9ish stuff. If I have a 330' tunnel shot I'd way rather throw a Teebird than a Thunderbird for example. But if it's an open 330' shot you can just hyzer bomb something in there and be done with it.

I just like them for being able to get easy distance, where you need to hit a gap and you don't necessarily want to throw it harder than ~70%. I prefer that than to going up to a higher speed control driver that you have to throw a certain speed or else it'll start acting too stable.

I agree with this sentiment completely. Heavily wooded courses i'm throwing the slowest possible disc that can reach the pin or landing zone. The speed of the disc makes a big difference in the kinds of kicks you get in the woods.

I am not a big fairway driver or midrange guy. Courses around here you throw a driver & putt. No mids, no fairways needed. I do bag a Leo and this past weekend in the rain it was my go to. It was just easy to grip in the wet as I did not need to use full power to get it out straight.

Courses around here you throw a driver & putt. No mids, no fairways needed.

I'm the same way on open courses. Wave, putter. On courses that are all technical/wooded, I can leave the drivers at home and the TL is my longest-range disc in the bag. "Horses for courses", as they say.

P.S. Very cool avatar pic with the eagle, there...

Most of the wooded courses j play most often I seldom use distance drivers, couldn't leave home without my teebirds firebirds and patriots

I am somewhat of a lower-powered player (threw one that got me within 10' of a 330' hole last night, that's about the best I got) but the only two "distance" driver molds I carry are Valkyries and Firebirds. The rest of my drivers are Teebirds and Rivers. I am obsessed with mid-range discs though, that's where I try to keep most of my game.

When I lived and played in phoenix, most of the courses needed a driver and a putter for the most part. Now I live in Flagstaff, I rarely use my distance drivers and mostly use speed 9 and lower.

When McCabe was on Discraft, he went straight from Buzzz's up to a Predator.

No Eagle, Teebird type disc.

Ack. I can't imagine not carrying true fairways. I'm the exact opposite of what is being discussed here; I go straight from tradtitional fairway drivers to the highspeed stuff. I also bag a Monster and FD3, but those are utility discs, not go to throwers. I tried to like the thunderbird as a control driver but I'd rather mash a teebird or 80% a destroyer.

Ack. I can't imagine not carrying true fairways.
Thing is, prior to 2006 or so, there were no such thing as a "fairway" driver. Here's two 11X Eagles that I have.

2pry62h.gif

Latest posts