• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more BG AMs?...

It's intentional. All the public should know is what is published.

I sort of agree and sort of don't.

Are you saying that it's an offense that has no obvious victim and no one needs to watch out for it happening again in the future, both for themselves and for Kyle's sake?

I sort of agree and sort of don't.

Are you saying that it's an offense that has no obvious victim and no one needs to watch out for it happening again in the future, both for themselves and for Kyle's sake?

pretty sure he is saying that the PDGA no longer releases that info for fear of lawyers and stuff...

pretty sure he is saying that the PDGA no longer releases that info for fear of lawyers and stuff...

So someone (Doc Turner) ran off with a $60K tournament kitty plus sponsorships, PDGA does nothing but put their name on a list, and you tell me that they are scared of lawyers? Seems like they are not scared enough of class action suits. A lot of people are out a not-insignificant amount of money, and angry.

These are the growing pains of the sport, and they need to be dealt with. The longer this type of thing goes on without any accountability, the more the organization becomes a target. The Association would do well to start insuring against this type of contingency so that somebody can step up when someone under their banner falls on their face, which is going to happen again. If there is not enough money coming in from the exponential recent increase in membership to handle the cost, it needs to come in from tournament sanctioning fees.

So someone (Doc Turner) ran off with a $60K tournament kitty plus sponsorships, PDGA does nothing but put their name on a list, and you tell me that they are scared of lawyers? Seems like they are not scared enough of class action suits. A lot of people are out a not-insignificant amount of money, and angry.

These are the growing pains of the sport, and they need to be dealt with. The longer this type of thing goes on without any accountability, the more the organization becomes a target. The Association would do well to start insuring against this type of contingency so that somebody can step up when someone under their banner falls on their face, which is going to happen again. If there is not enough money coming in from the exponential recent increase in membership to handle the cost, it needs to come in from tournament sanctioning fees.

First of all....the whole situation sounds all jacked up. I have been involved in a couple of sports that ended up with a TD, league coordinator or club rep stealing a lot of peoples' money. It is as despicable as it gets.

I am not sure that the PDGA, in the form of sanctioning and maintaining a membership, is legally responsible for these type transgressions within the hundreds of TD's, that put events on.

A tournament ultimately seems like a contract between me, as a player, and the TD or club that puts their name, on the agreement I sign on DGS. I sure hate the idea of the club being on the hook for one villain, but I think they are in the position to hold a ton more liability than the PDGA.

I also think looking for the PDGA, to act in the capacity of an investigation entity and a prosecuting agent, is going to pragmatically be, far beyond the membership fees of a 30% gain in membership.

What actions typically land one on the naughty list? Are people caught cheating frequently or poor sportsmanship issues?

TDs not following PDGA guidelines?

What actions typically land one on the naughty list? Are people caught cheating frequently or poor sportsmanship issues?

TDs not following PDGA guidelines?

For players it is mostly cheating or drug use with some general bad behavior thrown in. For TD's it is not paying the PDGA their dough.

I am quite certain that the current position of the PDGA on this matter has had plenty of thought put into it and plenty of talk with their lawyers as to the consequences.

I am quite certain that the current position of the PDGA on this matter has had plenty of thought put into it and plenty of talk with their lawyers as to the consequences.

It sounds like they are making a bet that the injured parties either can't organize effectively or won't think it worth the time. May be a good bet, but it's horrible policy.

The chain of accountability does run through the club but, from a legal perspective, it runs unbroken to the organization who sanctioned the tournament. How many of the 600 people who paid for the tournament would have registered if it wasn't listed on the PDGA website?

It sounds like they are making a bet that the injured parties either can't organize effectively or won't think it worth the time. May be a good bet, but it's horrible policy.

The chain of accountability does run through the club but, from a legal perspective, it runs unbroken to the organization who sanctioned the tournament. How many of the 600 people who paid for the tournament would have registered if it wasn't listed on the PDGA website?

Bowling Green is kind of unique. Last few times I played, they did not run through Disc Golf Scene. All other tournaments I play do. On DGS, you actually sign a waiver that states that the club is responsible for all refunds due to cancellations.

I could be wrong, but I simply don't think the PDGA is responsible.

Seems like you already know what happened.

When a situation is really bad, like Doc Turner, people know.

Why did HB hand it over to Doc in the first place?

He said he and the other volunteers were getting old, which is probably true, but they were mainly tired of dealing with all of the BS associated with it. It had also become almost too big to effectively run with the amount of volunteers required for 9-10 courses. Doc was wanting to take the reigns and narrow it down to 3-4 courses with tee times and one round per day. He just got the short end of the stick as far as taking over right when COVID hit and hitting after all of the prelim stuff had been paid for. Course rentals, insurance, players pack, etc. All non refundable type stuff. people keep saying he ran off with $60k. I guarantee he did not. I would estimate he was maybe left with $10k or less after it was all said and done. He did a lot for the BG DG community and I just don't think that amount of money is worth being forced to leave the city and the sport in disgrace.

He said he and the other volunteers were getting old, which is probably true, but they were mainly tired of dealing with all of the BS associated with it. It had also become almost too big to effectively run with the amount of volunteers required for 9-10 courses. Doc was wanting to take the reigns and narrow it down to 3-4 courses with tee times and one round per day. He just got the short end of the stick as far as taking over right when COVID hit and hitting after all of the prelim stuff had been paid for. Course rentals, insurance, players pack, etc. All non refundable type stuff. people keep saying he ran off with $60k. I guarantee he did not. I would estimate he was maybe left with $10k or less after it was all said and done. He did a lot for the BG DG community and I just don't think that amount of money is worth being forced to leave the city and the sport in disgrace.

Insurance is covered by the PDGA under the sanctioning agreement. Pretty sure that he could have sent out the player's packs to all players in order to "make them whole" if they were purchased already. (That's how a lawyer described it to me when faced with a similar situation.) Profit off of those should have been enough to cover postage and any other expenses.

You are obviously much closer to the situation than I however so may know things I do not.

Insurance is covered by the PDGA under the sanctioning agreement. Pretty sure that he could have sent out the player's packs to all players in order to "make them whole" if they were purchased already. (That's how a lawyer described it to me when faced with a similar situation.) Profit off of those should have been enough to cover postage and any other expenses.

You are obviously much closer to the situation than I however so may know things I do not.

All I can say is, I highly highly doubt that his master plan was to establish a business, improve all the local courses, run tournaments, just to take over the AMs and then make a small profit and have to skip town and stop using the name "Doc"