• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No reason for me to turn discs over

Donkey_Kicked

Bogey Member
So recently I have been noticing that my forehand is much better than my backhand drive. When I attempt to drive backhand my discs turns over, im throwing a 175 dx/star destroyer. I'm fairly new to the game and i know for a fact I have no business turning them over, instead i should be dealing with a lot of hyzer instead(which would be preferred to them turning over) since I am basically a beginner at the game. I would love to post a video but my friend that i play with is frequently unavailable. I use the 4 step x step-run up to do my backhand. If you guys could give me any pointers to try to watch for when i throw that would be great!

2 questions.

Are they new discs? About how far do you throw them?

Discs can get beat in over time, become less stable, and will begin to turnover. If that's not the case then you are probably forcing them to turn over. This is usually due to rolling the wrist to the right if you're right-handed.

2 questions.

Are they new discs? About how far do you throw them?

Discs can get beat in over time, become less stable, and will begin to turnover. If that's not the case then you are probably forcing them to turn over. This is usually due to rolling the wrist to the right if you're right-handed.

Brand spanking new, got them on Saturday to replace my dominators that were not cutting it for me. Um if i get a really nice throw 400', average would probably sit around the 330' mark. Yeah im right handed as well.

Sounds like an issue of form. There are people far smarter on these boards than me that will chime in but I would try throwing a disc that won't mask form flaws. The Comet is very popular for that purpose. Putters will also work.

Sounds like an issue of form. There are people far smarter on these boards than me that will chime in but I would try throwing a disc that won't mask form flaws. The Comet is very popular for that purpose. Putters will also work.

ok well ill go out some time and just throw my aviars around for a bit. I know its my form thats the problem, i havent really played with someone experienced in disc golf, i have kind of had to learn everything on my own.

If you watch and apply most of these you will be on the right track.

Closed shoulder with elbow out front and atheltic posture go a lonnnnnnnngggg way .

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328
[size=+1]#1 Essential Pro Tip!!![/size]
[size=+1]Disc Flight Basics[/size]​

[size=+1]DGCR Resident Technique Experts[/size]
Sidewinder22
HyzerUniBomber
rhatton1
[
Backhand
Distance Driving
Rollers
Tomahawk

Last edited:

I have tried to just throw with my putter for some short drives recently and they end up going sky high, and im really not sure why...

DX Destroyers can be so understable they aren't even the same disc basically. Like 30 degree hyzer to a roller if they are worked in at all. If you're throwing 330' with them then see if you can get your Aviar straight to 250' or so, if it's flipping over badly then just work your way up from like 50% power until you can throw it clean and straight.

field work with Comet and putters seems to fix my similar "problems" for a while

It's something I need to re-visit often FWIW

Strangely, a sprained knee issue forced me to power down and use better form for a while- I threw farther and with more accuracy-

i would much rather throw 300ft with accuracy than 400ft without = much better scores

i would much rather throw 300ft with accuracy than 400ft without = much better scores
Exactly! at this point I understand distance will come in time, I wanna dial in my accuracy because most of the courses in my area are 500 or less... it's also very disheartening to see your drive turnover right when it's spose hyzer out right to the basket

I would love to post a video but my friend that i play with is frequently unavailable. I use the 4 step x step-run up to do my backhand. If you guys could give me any pointers to try to watch for when i throw that would be great!

If you want advice that can help you for sure you have to post video. Plenty of people on here can tell you what is going wrong. Do yourself a favor and buy a gorilla pod so you can film yourself wherever you go. It's small and light enough you can keep it in your bag all the time if you want to.

field work with Comet and putters seems to fix my similar "problems" for a while

It's something I need to re-visit often FWIW

Strangely, a sprained knee issue forced me to power down and use better form for a while- I threw farther and with more accuracy-

this is solid advice.

But you could always try something more stable than a Destroyer like a Boss, Ape, or a Monster.

Last edited:
If you want advice that can help you for sure you have to post video. Plenty of people on here can tell you what is going wrong. Do yourself a favor and buy a gorilla pod so you can film yourself wherever you go. It's small and light enough you can keep it in your bag all the time if you want to.

It just hit me that i have friend who has a degree in videography that i could ask a favor from... :wall:

I have tried to just throw with my putter for some short drives recently and they end up going sky high, and im really not sure why...

Crazy thing with discs is that there can be a whole spectrum of form issues some subtle some horrendous that cause similar disc flight problems. The responses on this thread and generally in the forum when you have questions like this are people really wanting to not give bad conjecture. There is so much to read in everything youve been linked to so far.

Turning over a fresh star destroyer going 330' and launching an Aviar sky high is probably a combination of quite a few things from body posture to grip and arm angles. What posture? What grip? What arm angles? Too much guessing will lead you down the wrong path, I know I don't need to convince you at this point, but the truth is in the video. Just wanted to put you at ease a bit if the responses seemed a little obtuse. I think it is natural to come to the forums and ask "my disc flys like this. What does that mean I'm doing wrong?" Unfortunately its just not that simple. Welcome to the journey.

Crazy thing with discs is that there can be a whole spectrum of form issues some subtle some horrendous that cause similar disc flight problems. The responses on this thread and generally in the forum when you have questions like this are people really wanting to not give bad conjecture. There is so much to read in everything youve been linked to so far.

Turning over a fresh star destroyer going 330' and launching an Aviar sky high is probably a combination of quite a few things from body posture to grip and arm angles. What posture? What grip? What arm angles? Too much guessing will lead you down the wrong path, I know I don't need to convince you at this point, but the truth is in the video. Just wanted to put you at ease a bit if the responses seemed a little obtuse. I think it is natural to come to the forums and ask "my disc flys like this. What does that mean I'm doing wrong?" Unfortunately its just not that simple. Welcome to the journey.

Exactly. If I had to guess based on what 90% of people do at that distance with problems, is blowing past the brace leg which means your spine (which is the axis you throw on) tips forward. This causes a downward swing to throw "flat" and you can yank the disc over when trying to throw hard. Then when you try backing off on a disc like a putter the momentum is less going past the brace and angles are a bit different and it's easy to baby it which can lead to an early and high release (since you aren't coming "down" on the disc as much to correct the spine tipping issues at higher speed).

Don't take my word for this being your problem OP, you need to look at video of yourself and figure it out from there...but likely this is an issue as it's common with most disc golfers.

Latest posts