• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No reason for me to turn discs over

The reason you're being teased about 400 feet is that it's much more likely that your throws are 250 feet with the long ones being out at 300. Especially, given the kinds of flight patterns you're describing. A 300 foot throw takes sound technique, and a 400 foot throw takes really good mechanics and superlative timing.

Every disc golfer over estimates the distance of their throws. It's easy to do. Keep in mind that the 400 foot mark is tough. That's a capital T tough. Pros make it look easy, that's why they're pros.

Stop buying discs to solve the problem. A good player can throw both Dominaters and Destroyers really well. When you write they aren't getting it done for you, you're saying I can't yet throw this disc. You will, it just takes time.

Every disc golfer over estimates the distance of their throws. It's easy to do. Keep in mind that the 400 foot mark is tough. That's a capital T tough. Pros make it look easy, that's why they're pros.

I did expect grief because i am extremely new to the sport. There's this one hole at the course i play at that has a 341 ft. hole that im kinda taking my mark from. Usually when I throw i end up about pin high, sometimes short or sometimes very long (yesterday i ended up past the pin and didnt find my disc till i got to the next tee). I dont disagree with you that i may overestimate my distances, I try to be as conservative as possible with measurements. I am honestly just looking for help to get my discs to go where i want them to, regardless of distance.

I did expect grief because i am extremely new to the sport. There's this one hole at the course i play at that has a 341 ft. hole that im kinda taking my mark from. Usually when I throw i end up about pin high, sometimes short or sometimes very long (yesterday i ended up past the pin and didnt find my disc till i got to the next tee). I dont disagree with you that i may overestimate my distances, I try to be as conservative as possible with measurements. I am honestly just looking for help to get my discs to go where i want them to, regardless of distance.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but distances on signs are not always accurate. That's a good way to have a rough estimate, but even if the hole is SLIGHTLY downhill it could play 20-40' shorter than it is marked.

I didn't understand how far I threw when I first started for exactly the same reasons. It wasn't that I was trying to brag or inflate my distance at all it was just that I didn't understand how far I was throwing. A football field is a great way to figure out how far you are throwing. 300' from 0 to 0, 360' from the end of one end zone to the end of the other end zone, and 380' from pole to pole.

And even when you go to the trouble of measuring your distance accurately no one is going to believe you anyway :p

What's the course? I'm not trying to be a jerk but a lot of the problem is that hole measurements aren't always the most accurate. I know a lot of the courses in my area are measured to the center of the green not exactly to each pin. Or the measurement is for the longest pin placement. so 340 might be for your long pin but the basket is in the short pin and it's much shorter.

As some others have mentioned give a form video a try that could help a lot.

I'm also not sure what's all in your bag and to each their own and frisbees are supposed to be fun so throw what ever you want. But you might benefit from trying to ease up on the speed 10 plus drivers and give some fairway drivers a try. They're much easier to control. You might lose 20-30 feet but you'll know where it's gonna land.

If you don't want to do that try something more overstable like an ape or monster.

Trust me, everyone here takes you seriously and really cares. People only really harass you when you start debating par and other nuts and bolts issues. Or if you decide Paul is better than Ricky or vice versa.

The distance debate is as old as the hills. Every serious player aims at the 400 foot barrier so it's a semi lethal place to start the discussion.

Some guys have a natural gift and get over 300 very quickly. Most aren't measuring or are playing bad holes. That's why the skepticism.

I have them in my bag but I think I've thrown each one less than 10 times

We'll get out and throw sometime. Red Arrow may have some "off" measurements, having played there before.

If you're truly interested in your actual distance, go to a local football field and throw goal post to goal post. If you're doing that, then you know you're at 360'.

Red Arrow park in oshkosh wi. I bag p & a aviars, sharks, makos, leopards, teebirds, valkyrie, wraith, and destroyers

Work that leopard. 70% of my throws are with that disc. To get it long, over 300 feet, you need great snap and good technique.

I have them in my bag but I think I've thrown each one less than 10 times

Lyle's advice here is solid. Once you get the hang of the Leopard it can be a fairway laser. And the WI courses I've played have been much more rewarding to accuracy than to distance.

If it's a DX leopard you might want to try to find one in premium plastic because they beat in pretty fast and get pretty understable.

Once you get to about 280--300' consistently with the Leo that Valk should fly like a longer leopard for you basically straight with slight turn and fade.

I would try to lay off the distance drivers a while for backhand. If you control them and get good distance forehand with those by all means keep throwing them for forehand shots.

:thmbup:

We'll get out and throw sometime. Red Arrow may have some "off" measurements, having played there before.

If you're truly interested in your actual distance, go to a local football field and throw goal post to goal post. If you're doing that, then you know you're at 360'.

Yeah I was gonna head out to the Congress st. athletic fields when they dry up since they are only 3 min from my house

Lyle's advice here is solid. Once you get the hang of the Leopard it can be a fairway laser. And the WI courses I've played have been much more rewarding to accuracy than to distance.

If it's a DX leopard you might want to try to find one in premium plastic because they beat in pretty fast and get pretty understable.

Once you get to about 280--300' consistently with the Leo that Valk should fly like a longer leopard for you basically straight with slight turn and fade.

I would try to lay off the distance drivers a while for backhand. If you control them and get good distance forehand with those by all means keep throwing them for forehand shots.

:thmbup:

My destroyer forehand is desc, goes about 330' and goes where I want it to nearly every time. I have a Dx and a f2 star leopard.

That's solid man I'm not good with FH at all.

Also if you can get a round in with Stardoggy he's good at playing frisbees.

That's solid man I'm not good with FH at all.

Also if you can get a round in with Stardoggy he's good at playing frisbees.

That's debatable...but I'll at least feed you enough beers to make you think I'm good.

*D needs to visit his kids in AA more often.

Take that any way you like, it works no matter what.

Seriously....just go throw putters for a week or so and then re-visit this thread. Practice throwing them very low, about 6-8 ft off the ground and try to get them out to 200 or so, level, straight, etc. Then when you can do that accurately throw them a little higher and you should be hitting 250-300. If they are turning over on you then add some hyzer on release. If you're releasing at a hyzer and still turning over then you're probably suffering from wrist roll, which is common for players who start out with discs that are too over stable. Already throwing 330+, nice, off to a great start!

If you're releasing at a hyzer and still turning over then you're probably suffering from wrist roll, which is common for players who start out with discs that are too over stable.

If releasing backhand hyzer and still flipping over, then he is throwing a very understable disc. Unless he is getting massive amounts of wobble, there is nothing about rolling your wrist that is going to make an overstable disc (or any other) released on a hyzer angle turn over.