• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-matching Practice Basket

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I want to install a practice basket at my local 9 hole course. The only problem and hold-back is that I cannot get a matching basket to those on the course. The course has locally built Arachnid baskets, but the builder is no longer building baskets. I've attached a photo of one of the baskets on the course. What basket should I go with to purchase as a practice basket? Is it going to be a CON to have a mis-matching practice basket?

Attachments

• Hole 1 Basket.jpg
    Hole 1 Basket.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 163
I want to install a practice basket at my local 9 hole course. The only problem and hold-back is that I cannot get a matching basket to those on the course. The course has locally built Arachnid baskets, but the builder is no longer building baskets. I've attached a photo of one of the baskets on the course. What basket should I go with to purchase as a practice basket? Is it going to be a CON to have a mis-matching practice basket?

It has the three tier chains like the new Chainstar Pro:
cspro_ad.jpg

No matter what you do, some will complain.

If you cannot find a matching basket, go with your best judgment on getting something similar.

Trying to make everyone happy is like grasping water.

Funny I have been debating this myself. We have two local public courses. The older one has Chainstars while the newer one has Mach V. I thinking of approaching the club members about putting a practice basket in at the older course with Chainstars but would rather start converting over to Mach V at that course if a basket got stolen or needed replacing for whatever reason.

No matter what you do, some will complain.

If you cannot find a matching basket, go with your best judgment on getting something similar.

Trying to make everyone happy is like grasping water.

That's an easy complaint to manage.

Caveman Complainer said:
Practice basket no look like rest of baskets. Me no like.

Volunteer Sacrificing Personal time to deal with this nonsense said:
Ok, fair enough now go online and find me a matching one and we will buy it

Caveman Complainer said:
duuuuuuhhhhhhh

Sadly though, not everyone will be happy

I am leaning on purchasing something without a band. Thanks for the input all.

Here's a cheap option. Get a Mach II ($240), alter the inner set, and add one more tier to match the spacing of the Arachnid basket's three layers of chains. DGA sells a number plate to fit the Mach II to complete the look.
mach-2-portable-basket-580x1200.jpg

We have a course with 3 types of baskets---more, if you count versions of disccatchers acquired over the years---and a cheesy practice basket. No one has ever complained about either.

Arachnids and cones are two types of baskets I've been wanting to try for a few years. One of these days...

In regards to the OP's question, I can only think of one reason a reasonable person would knock you for a mismatched practice basket. That would be if you had some wildly different style practice basket on a course supposedly designed for high level tourney play. Say you had a Mach X practice basket on a Mach III course. You're practice would be rewarding firm putts, while the baskets in play reward finesse. Even that would stretch the definition of reasonable. To me, a practice basket is always a welcome bonus. Never required, but appreciated.

Here's a cheap option. Get a Mach II ($240), alter the inner set, and add one more tier to match the spacing of the Arachnid basket's three layers of chains. DGA sells a number plate to fit the Mach II to complete the look.
mach-2-portable-basket-580x1200.jpg

I'd just go with the cheap option, sans improvements. The standard baskets ought to catch great after warming up on a Mach II.

It seems like it would be weird to have the practice basket being the best basket on the course unless you're slowly going to convert the other baskets later. That's my 2 cents.

I have never con'd a course that had a mismatched practice basket, and have personally seen this occur numerous times. The fact that you would be introducing practice basket at all is only a pro for the course in my book.

Would it be cool to have a small target practice basket, like a Marksman or Bullseye? Not sure if it would be cool or annoying.

I'd just go with the cheap option, sans improvements. The standard baskets ought to catch great after warming up on a Mach II.

I'd get behind either of these ideas. A practice basket's purpose is to warm up. Unless you expect to maybe use it as a 10th hole with a temp tee or something, whether it matches the course is irrelevant. I'd go with something that does the job. If it doesn't catch as well as the baskets on the course, oh well. It's not like practice putts count for anything.

Thank you everyone for the responses and input. I wasn't to concerned about having a mis-matched basket and getting negative feedback. The response I was looking for was "Should the practice basket look somewhat similar to the course baskets or does that not really matter?" And based on everyone's response, it doesn't seem to matter. Whatever works best with my budget seems to be a popular response and as long as I'm not going to get something that is far superior to the baskets on the course.

I may have the opportunity to buy a used basket that is the same style as those on the course and would need to get it powder coated to match the rest. This option came available after posting this thread and looking for options on social media.

Doesn't Idlewild have like 10 different basket types? It did when I played it. That course is "considered" a top 20 course in the world.

Latest posts