• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-matching Practice Basket

Doesn't Idlewild have like 10 different basket types? It did when I played it. That course is "considered" a top 20 course in the world.

This past summer, when I played, there were technically three. The original 18 had rusted out light green Mach IIIs, the lettered holes were Discatchers, and the practice basket was an extremely weird homemade design.

However, all the holes and the practice basket are Pro-28 Discatchers.

I feel like I should add that I also played the course with the Discatchers (installed for the DGPT, but also permanently there now), and warming up on a different basket versus the same didn't really matter. As long as I can get a few repetitions in and work the form in sync, it doesn't really matter whether I'm putting on some homemade basket or a Pro-28; as long as I am hitting where I'm aiming I'm good to go.

I always feel ANY practice basket is a Pro.
Most players probably won't even notice the difference, unless it is drastic.

Find the closest thing to the baskets on the course and go with that!! :thmbup:

I actually like the idea of a different practice basket, as it should eliminate any grey area about what is and isn't part of the course.

If a practice basket is that close to actual play where it can be confused for an actual basket, it should be relocated. IMO, practice areas should only be included if there is room for it.

Practice baskets are fun, but a lot of the time I feel that I will play the first hole, and warm-up my putting then, rather than before.

Thank you everyone for the responses and input. I wasn't to concerned about having a mis-matched basket and getting negative feedback. The response I was looking for was "Should the practice basket look somewhat similar to the course baskets or does that not really matter?" And based on everyone's response, it doesn't seem to matter. Whatever works best with my budget seems to be a popular response and as long as I'm not going to get something that is far superior to the baskets on the course.

I may have the opportunity to buy a used basket that is the same style as those on the course and would need to get it powder coated to match the rest. This option came available after posting this thread and looking for options on social media.

Dude...if you're willing to go through the trouble of powder coating the basket so it matches the color you have my permission to throat-punch anyone that complains. People like you are what is right about this sport.

If I had a choice, I would prefer a practice basket with only one layer of chains. A putt that sinks on a single chain will certainly fall with three chains. Id rather the target of practice be less forgiving than the actual baskets

Thus, it shouldn't matter what the practice basket is, and cheaper options shouldn't be looked at as a con

If I had a choice, I would prefer a practice basket with only one layer of chains. A putt that sinks on a single chain will certainly fall with three chains. Id rather the target of practice be less forgiving than the actual baskets

Thus, it shouldn't matter what the practice basket is, and cheaper options shouldn't be looked at as a con

I agree. Ours is a simple basket, and all I look at it as is a place to warm up. It doesn't even matter a lot whether it catches all my good putts (though I do like not bending down to pick them off the ground).

With the caveat that too cheap a basket might not be durable.

If a practice basket is that close to actual play where it can be confused for an actual basket, it should be relocated. IMO, practice areas should only be included if there is room for it.

Practice baskets are fun, but a lot of the time I feel that I will play the first hole, and warm-up my putting then, rather than before.

I disagree---it depends on the course.

Otherwise, you get people warming up on actual holes, often #18. No big deal, but I'd rather risk throwing to the wrong basket (the first time or two, after which I'll know better).

I actually like the idea of a different practice basket, as it should eliminate any grey area about what is and isn't part of the course.
It is part of the course in the rules. Play it as it lies.

I recently modified our Mach I practice basket with a second layer of chains. It's so much better now, actually haven't seen a spit out or cut through on it. Before that it hardly caught anything, it was ridiculous.

An old local course in Dallas (BB Owen) has a "special" practice basket with a deeper basket to narrow the target vertically. Practicing on it regularly would certainly help you to reduce low putts. Maybe a custom basket like this one would be beneficial to install.

Of course some would complain, but it's for practice and we all know there's nothing more frustrating than a putt that's half an inch low. Regular practice on a basket that requires a better grasp of altitude would only make the player better. Similar to the "bullet" basket that only has narrow chains...

When I see the pic it immediately looks to me like some kind of Mach. Get one of those. I wouldn't care at all about the powder coating but it could add to your course's visual appeal.

One of the courses I play most frequently has a practice basket (Discatcher, I believe) on a course with Mach IIs or something. I always practice on hole 18 instead of the practice basket because there's enough difference between the 2 types of baskets, unless there are people throwing the hole.

Any practice basket is a plus, in my book, unless it's a super cheap one that doesn't catch. I have never seen a ~$100 personal/home practice basket set up on a course, and I suppose that would seem kinda janky.

This past summer, when I played, there were technically three. The original 18 had rusted out light green Mach IIIs, the lettered holes were Discatchers, and the practice basket was an extremely weird homemade design.

However, all the holes and the practice basket are Pro-28 Discatchers.

Looks like things have changed since the NT.

Here's a cheap option. Get a Mach II ($240), alter the inner set, and add one more tier to match the spacing of the Arachnid basket's three layers of chains. DGA sells a number plate to fit the Mach II to complete the look.
mach-2-portable-basket-580x1200.jpg

That is what our local club did, took a Mach II for a short Practice hole with a smaller cement Tee pad in Honor of a local player that helped the club in its dormant period get active. He died in a work at a Coal or Oil mining place in Wyoming. the basket is fine, but it does not translate as well to a Mach III the newer ones in blue from 2016 when they were installed. It was better for the old Mach III, still a bonus for that local course. The Mach II translates best to a Mach 4 as that has a similar style to the Mach II. However I saw a old Mach II as a practice basket before when they got all new Mach II baskets in the 1990's for that course. The other Baskets in town DB-5 Lighting ones had the tops of old Mach III taken off and put on the old DB-5 basket the original had extra inner chain so both courses have essentially modern Mach III.

When I see the pic it immediately looks to me like some kind of Mach. Get one of those. I wouldn't care at all about the powder coating but it could add to your course's visual appeal.

One of the courses I play most frequently has a practice basket (Discatcher, I believe) on a course with Mach IIs or something. I always practice on hole 18 instead of the practice basket because there's enough difference between the 2 types of baskets, unless there are people throwing the hole.

Any practice basket is a plus, in my book, unless it's a super cheap one that doesn't catch. I have never seen a ~$100 personal/home practice basket set up on a course, and I suppose that would seem kinda janky.

This Disc Golf Basket just over $100 and to me is like a Discatcher Sport the single chain model and to me seems like it would catch fine for a practice basket or for a home private course if you had the land to make such a course. https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Catche...673512&sr=8-3&keywords=titan+disc+golf+basket

I want to install a practice basket at my local 9 hole course. The only problem and hold-back is that I cannot get a matching basket to those on the course. The course has locally built Arachnid baskets, but the builder is no longer building baskets. I've attached a photo of one of the baskets on the course. What basket should I go with to purchase as a practice basket? Is it going to be a CON to have a mis-matching practice basket?

This Disc Golf Basket just over $100 and to me is like a Discatcher Sport the single chain model and to me seems like it would catch fine for a practice basket or for a home private course if you had the land to make such a course. https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Catche...673512&sr=8-3&keywords=titan+disc+golf+basket

OOP but now I would recommend modifying a Lighting DB-5 sold off Gotta Go Gotta Throw site, by powder coating two parts as well as getting more Gavanised chain for the inner most set with thin aluminum S hooks to crimp the inner set in place. Then taking every 3 outer set and moving that to the inner ring set, possibly using 2 or more S hooks to get the inner chains the right length so the chains sit right on that ring. Can get a Mach number top to have the baskets be the right style for the basket brand that is no longer made.

Did you ever get a Practice basket? I kind of want to see pictures please.

Last edited:

Latest posts