• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-retrieval Areas Lining a Fairway

John Rock

Double Eagle Member
What's the general consensus on putting a course (or a single hole) next to an area where you cannot easily retrieve your disc if you throw in there?

How about if you have those areas on BOTH sides of a fairway?

Some players that I know justify it by saying just don't throw in there, but with the consistent high winds in my area, it's almost impossible not to have a wide spray pattern on any given TEE box.

How wide does a fairway need to be to have this type of hazard on both sides?

It's usually a bummer unless there is a bail out area where you can play it safe and take your par/bogey.

I think it's all about designing proper (difficult yet fun) risk/reward.

Mando rollers...

Crazy-Oprah-fans-reactions.gif
[/url][/IMG]

What?

Mando rollers...

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck.... what would Ed say?!? I'm sure he is looking down from the roof and shaking his head!

Mando rollers are fine for courses designed primarily for advanced and open players, but on a course for amateur players you should offer a makeable flight path for the less skilled. ;)

You'd find a lot of juniors who've discovered they can get farther rolling when they're first starting. The terrain where John's from probably doesn't provide sufficient or appropraite trees to do this but having limbs you must throw under either as mandos or creating a low ceiling where it's the only viable shot can help keep throws from going into these OB areas.

Fort Snelling course in St.Paul is backed up right to an airport. Hole two, which is 900ft long runs right along a fence separating the course from the airport property. Disc goes over the fence and you're probably never seeing it again.

Fort Snelling course in St.Paul is backed up right to an airport. Hole two, which is 900ft long runs right along a fence separating the course from the airport property. Disc goes over the fence and you're probably never seeing it again.

Off Topic:
Those "Basket #" signs are neat but jeez they must knock down a bunch of shots headed away from the basket.

Wait a week or two. At least one of the guys who patrols that area of the airport is a player. Discs do make their way back to the Clubhouse. No guarantees, though.

Interesting topic. I talked with a private land owner today in GA that is interested in a course. The property has a large creek that goes through the property with very fast moving water. I would think retrieving a disc that went in would be dangerous.

Because I'm working with them through this discovery period, I didn't bring up that danger...would love to see a course here...the lay of the land almost dictates playing along side the creek or over the creek on at least have or more of the holes.

They have a protected habitat area along holes 1, 2 and 4 at Kit Carson DGC in Escondido, CA. Players are not allowed to enter to retrieve discs: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3845&mode=hi#

Aaaand that doesn't stop anyone that I've seen/played with. I know people that have even raided that once a month or so looking for free plastic.

If i throw a disc and its OB, I'm getting that disc back as long as it can be grabbed safely. I'm not losing 15 bucks for that.

In case you all are wondering, yes that is a nice young lady who traveled 3 hours to play Hibbing with us! Kelsey, your awesome!

Aaaand that doesn't stop anyone that I've seen/played with. I know people that have even raided that once a month or so looking for free plastic.

If i throw a disc and its OB, I'm getting that disc back as long as it can be grabbed safely. I'm not losing 15 bucks for that.

Designers need to assume that discers will ignore posted signs and go to any lengths to retrieve errant throws. There's a hole at Barnett Park in Orlando (hole 6, northside) which requires a big spike hyzer out of a shoot over a fenced retention pond for the first 1/2 of the disc's flight. Roughly 20-30% of throws from that tee end up over the fence. As would be expected, the fence has been vandalized to create an opening for disc golfers to retrieve their discs.