• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob disc/bag suggestion

Zen Golfer

First post on this forum, I've been reading up on this site and a few others for a couple months. Great site and helpful information! Very addicted to this sport and want to improve my game.

Vitals:
Home course: Shady Oaks, Sacramento CA. (I play Rocklin once a month)
Favorite course beer: PBR
Years playing/experience: DG 7 months, a few years of ultimate.
How often do I play: I've been tossing twice a week for the last six months.

Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Left handed
Throwing Style: LHBH, some FH, and OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Aviar: ~175/225; Buzzz: 225/275; Valk: 275/325

Sex: Male
Injuries/handicaps: None yet, I did pull a muscle on the back of my shoulder from throwing too many drives a few months back. Healed up now. :thmbup:
Other sport proficiencies: Basketball, Softball, Ping Pong, Beer Pong.

Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I feel pretty good about my bag but I'd like some feedback on some basic discs to work with. Yes I did read Garabudor's?? post on suggested discs. I don't have a stable/overstable driver or an understable fairway disc yet. Thinking about a Teebird and a Leopard combo.
Specific areas of desired feedback: I'd like to gain a bit more distance on my drives and would like some suggestions on a good straight distance driver. I tried a new Champ 175 Wraith recently and couldn't throw it any further than my Valks and it cut/faded really hard. I don't think I have the arm speed/power yet for a speed 11 stable disc. Was considering an Orc or a Beast. My mid range game is really good and my putting is also a strength, bought a basket for my back yard a couple months ago.

Bag:
Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
172 Star Valk (newer) - main driver
174 Elite Pro XL (used) - straight fairway driver, anny's (becoming my favorite)
171 DX Beast (beat) - Found this 2 weeks ago and it'll go farther than my valk but it doesn't fly real straight.

Mids:
177 Star Buzzz (new) - main mid
179 DX Roc (used) - some hyzer shots (one mean dog leg in particular)

Putters:
175 DX Aviar P&A, (new) - main putter

Thanks guys and gals! :hfive:

Welcome to the forums!

1. Star buzzz? Maybe esp. Star is innova and discmania.

If you like the XL I'd suggest getting an XS as well. They complement each other well.

I would also suggest picking up a couple more Aviars of the same weight and plastic to practice with.

Your drivers look fine. If you wanted to step up in speed, an orc is a great disc for 10 speeds

If I had to choose between an Orc and Beast, I'd go Beast.
The Nuke SS has been a reliable straight-flying driver for me, so I'd suggest trying that one out.

The Nuke SS has been a reliable straight-flying driver for me, so I'd suggest trying that one out.

If he doesn't have the power for a champ Wraith he won't have the power to make a Nuke SS go straight.

Anyway.. Only a couple things I have to say.. try replacing that DX beast with a pro Beast. I threw one for a while and it was my max distance driver until I started throwing Wraiths. Off the shelf it's super straight then it beats in to "Beast-like" characteristics.. then after a while it gets really flippy and you can still use it as a nice turn over. I think once you get that Beast up to 350' consistently, you're ready for a Wraith. Then what Erthbndr said.. if you got that basket in your back yard, get identical putters and use that thing until youre 7/10 or better from 30'-50' away. Even if you only drive 300' you'll still be bangin birdies. Then, I would decide which you like throwing better, the Roc or Buzzz. The Roc is Innovas Buzzz and the Buzzz is Discrafts Roc. Get a couple more of each which ever one you choose and season them differently. Then you'll have an understable, stable, and overstable mid, all in the same mold so you don't have to learn how to throw multiple molds to fill those slots. All in all less is more. Meaning the less molds you have, the more you'll achieve. If you look at the top pros, they have a bunch of discs, but they're all the same mold pretty much. Didn't mean to type a novel Haha But hope you understand every thing I said.

If he doesn't have the power for a champ Wraith he won't have the power to make a Nuke SS go straight.

Anyway.. Only a couple things I have to say.. try replacing that DX beast with a pro Beast.

Agreed. A nuke ss isn't exactly a beginner friendly disc. Probably my least favorite disc.

Why? It's a warp speed driver, with a lot of turn. To get the disc up to speed to do what it needs to, you need a cannon arm. And when you can get the disc up to speed, it's too flippy be useful in my opinion.

I'd suggest using the valk and maybe get a beast in a better plastic. They are relatively the same, ones a bit faster. Or you can hold off on getting the new beast, use the valk until you can put it out to like 350-375 in a straight line. Then switch to a wraith or surge. I love the surge and when I'm having a good day I can put it out over 415'. My biggest issue when I was finding the right disc for me was, I tried out too many discs before I had decent form and was turned off by a bunch of em. Now I have over 100 different discs I don't use lol.

For the mids, I'd suggest getting an overstable, a stable and understable. For this you can go different routes. It's about finding what works for you.

Love the idea of using different worn discs of the same mold, but the roc and buzzz are more neutral than anything. Great for beating in from straight to understable, but a truly overstable mid will open up a few more lines. This is assuming you can throw a mid 300'. Anything under and yes, you can definitely get away with using a more stable buzzz/roc for your overstable slot.

Tech9 use the enter key to make you're novel easier to read. Good advice though!

Also try lighter weights of your current molds to gain distance. Blizzards are fun, but take note of accuracy when you need it. A 300' teebird shot that lands in the fairway on a 400' hole is better than one that lands out of the fairway and needs a difficult layup.

Last edited:

If his go to driver is a Valkyrie then a nuke ss is not for him just yet. In fact from what I have read on here his bag is not bad at all. No high speed discs to mask flaws.

Agreed. A nuke ss isn't exactly a beginner friendly disc. Probably my least favorite disc.

Why? It's a warp speed driver, with a lot of turn. To get the disc up to speed to do what it needs to, you need a cannon arm. And when you can get the disc up to speed, it's too flippy be useful in my opinion.

I'd suggest using the valk and maybe get a beast in a better plastic. They are relatively the same, ones a bit faster. Or you can hold off on getting the new beast, use the valk until you can put it out to like 350-375 in a straight line. Then switch to a wraith or surge. I love the surge and when I'm having a good day I can put it out over 415'. My biggest issue when I was finding the right disc for me was, I tried out too many discs before I had decent form and was turned off by a bunch of em. Now I have over 100 different discs I don't use lol.

For the mids, I'd suggest getting an overstable, a stable and understable. For this you can go different routes. It's about finding what works for you.

What would you suggest as his into a 15mph plus headwind driver?

Hey guys, really appreciate the awesome suggestions and info. Trying to get good advice from my friends who've all been playing less than 2 years is not an option. When I mention things like over/understable they look at me like I'm crazy. Once a week someone has another new distance driver to show off with, which doesn't actually help their game. Blizzards are popular around here but I feel like I need to be improving my form and working with basic discs.

Erthbndr: Yes, I meant ESP for my buzz. So after reading Garabudor's post on basic discs to learn with it seems like an overstable driver could be helpful, possibly an Orc? My valk is obviously an understable disc but it works for me.

Johnas: Any reason I shouldn't pic up an Orc for an overstable driver to learn with. My valk flies real similiar to the beat beast I have.

Tech9: Thanks for the novel, good stuff. I have a couple Aviars that are the same weights that I practice with. I may pick up a new Beast but kind of wanted to try a more stable driver.

Beeftrout: Good tip on trying some lighter weights, I have a 168 valk that I can use for a bit more D. I refuse to throw Blizz's, I feel like it's cheating.

So any thoughts on picking up an understable and overstable fairway driver combo to work with like a teebird, leopard mix? The XL seems to be my accurate straight fairway driver right now. Cheers!

Best way to improve your game is to play with better players, not to fill your bag with new discs. Which is tough with a candy store like Final 9 at Shady and Rocklin. There are some cool DGCR members in your area that probably wouldn't mind helping you for a round or two.

Jimbo, I agree that playing with some better players would be huge for improving my game. I just wanted to check with the community hear to make sure I'm not starting off on the wrong foot with discs I shouldn't be throwing. Final 9 is definitely nice to have at the course here in Orangevale and Rocklin. Any problems with adding a teebird and leopard and possibly a orc or beast? Should I just stick with my buzz, xl, and valk combo for a while and then add discs later on? I actually started out with a leopard as my first driver and I like the way it flies, real controllable disc for me.

I think you're on the right track with what you have. An Eagle or Teebird (or Saint) wouldn't be a bad next choice. Orcs are great discs, but I would concentrate on your fairways and mids before you look for more distance. You also might consider a second putter for driving/approach.

I'd vote yes for the Teebird and maybe on the Leopard, since you already are throwing a Valk. I throw about the same distance and at that range I felt the Leopard didn't give me anything over the Valk/Teebird combo.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions. I picked up an Eagle X today and am going to hold off on the Leopard. The XL I have is going to break in and become my understable fairway driver pretty soon. I also bought a Wizard SSS, for putting, and a Wizard EVO for driving. Awesome discs.