• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob, looking for some advice.

jlebreton

I just started playing a few weeks ago, and have been getting out every chance I get (3x a week).

I throw RHBH & RHFH, with equal distance (200') but have no accuracy with FH, so I am working mainly on my BH (drives especially).

My problem (or question) is, I can throw my midrange discs (Cobra, Stingray & Buzzz) the same distance if not farther flat footed than I can my drivers (with a run-up or flat footed). Is this common when starting out?

I have read everything I can on driving, and have watched a lot of youtube clips, but can't seem to get my driving down. The discs I have tried are mainly 165ish and are Wraith, Valkyrie (170 & 150), Sidewinder, XL, Stratus, Cheetah (150) and Cyclone. I tend to go with a standard 4 finger (power) grip.

My best guess is that I don't have the arm-speed to make these drivers fly as they were designed, but unsure. I'm also fairly certain my technique is sloppy. I practice as much as I can and don't planning on giving up, so any advice or links to vids or articles (any advice at all) would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

That's pretty normal. Just stick with your mid ranges for a while....along with equal or better distance, you'll get more control and accuracy until you really get your throw down. The Cobra and Stingray are some of the best discs out there to learn on.

Thank you for your response. I will stick with them, I am mainly also throwing the Cyclone & Status. I'm pretty much useless with the others.:p

I realize my request for help is pretty lame without a video of me attempting to drive also, I will try and get one.

I have been working on the drills in the Dan Beto youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo&feature=related

Is this the preferred method to learn technique and build arm speed?

Last edited:
That is the best video out there. After watching that I increased my distance by at least 60 feet.

As far as driving goes, I would stick with the stingray and then once you build some arm speed and strength, go to the valkyrie.

Good luck and welcome to the site and the sport.

Do you drivers go striaght 200' like your midrange or do they hook hard?

I used the Wolf as a transition to Drivers

i have played for almost a year now and i know that your farthest throw will look and feel diffrent than before as you play. but i asked myself the same question. as you gain more exp you will start to see the diffrence. i had the same problem and somehow worked itself out. try practiceing with duffrent types of drivers.

That is the best video out there. After watching that I increased my distance by at least 60 feet.

As far as driving goes, I would stick with the stingray and then once you build some arm speed and strength, go to the valkyrie.

Good luck and welcome to the site and the sport.

Thank you, there is a lot of great info here... I'm an avid reader/lurker.

Do you drivers go striaght 200' like your midrange or do they hook hard?

I used the Wolf as a transition to Drivers

They hook pretty hard, every now & then one will go straight. I have tried to keep them nose down, but they often gain too much height and stall out on me.

i have played for almost a year now and i know that your farthest throw will look and feel diffrent than before as you play. but i asked myself the same question. as you gain more exp you will start to see the diffrence. i had the same problem and somehow worked itself out. try practiceing with duffrent types of drivers.

Thanks for the tip, I have messed around with quite a few, but am not all that comfortable with many, excluding the "slower, higher glide" drivers.

Increasing your driving distance is great but don't neglect your upshot and putting.

Great words of wisdom, thank you. Thankfully, I'm fairly comfortable with my progress on upshots & putts. I practice them a lot around the yard and during lunch @ work. Yeah, I'm pretty addicted. :D

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

One great way to get better is to lose money. When I started, I went out to a local doubles and lost money for 2 months. I played with much better players who taught me a great deal and I got better, in a short amount of time.

I would suggest going into a field and working on one or two things at a time. One of the best things to learn first is good footwork. Watch one of the top players and learn what they are doing with your feet and why they are doing it.

In reality, there are a million different things to learn.

I would suggest that you got out into a field and practice your form. start by throwing with out your run-up and just use your arm. focus especially on keeping the disc high on ur body as you start and throwing straight through your body. "Rip the nips" u dont have to try to throw it hard just work on form. as you get better slowly continue trying to throw it harder. and then work in your approach so eventually it all blends together smoothly

Thank you, jesus & bschommer.

I think you guys have me on the right track, and have given me plenty to work on. I look forward to practicing more and will work on slowing things down and really look at what myself and others are doing. I have been trying to "give it all I've got" on each throw, and think I need to focus more on "proper" technique versus brute strength & ignorance. :)

Thanks to all for your help and insight, it is very much appreciated.

get some millennium drivers like the ls polaris or Jls in the low to mid 160s

I haven't had a chance to try these... I was thinking of picking up an Avenger SS (in FLX, I love my FLX Buzzz) in that weight range, are these comparable? Is the hype behind the Avenger SS true, or is it more marketing?

I know I still need to work on form and keep throwing my mids & slower drivers, but are the ls polaris or Jls, high glide or something? What makes them special, being honest not a wise a$$.

I just picked up an Avenger SS after hearing it was similar to a Sidewinder. After throwing it a few rounds it might as well be a Sidewinder, save your money (for now) since you already have a SW. The tip on the Millenium LS discs isn't so much about how fast or how much glide they have as it is how predictable and straight they fly. With a good tug they'll go far with a much better chance of being in the fairway. I've always said that both the good and the bad news about Sidewinder and Valkyrie type disc is that they'll go far, and that's not always a good thing if it's far into the other fairway. It's harder to learn how to fly them than a Polaris LS or maybe even an Eagle.

I second the advice about slowing things down. Concentrate on a nice steady acceleration followed by a strong snap.

off the top of my head, 2 things...

slow down, it doesn't take that much effort (ie brute strength) to throw a disc, be SMOOTH

concentrate on good technique/accuracy.... don't get caught up in the big drive hype... 200 straight is better than 300 in the schule

if you haven't yet, check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr GREAT articles to get you started....

and, not to spend your money for you, but you may wanna check out the Climo/Feldburg technique DVD sooner than later...

in closing, putt Putt PUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and learn straddle putt!
to use the old golf quote "drive for show, putt for dough"

and put a Innova TL in your bag, it's the truest disc I've ever thrown.

(Obviously the art college I went to didn't require a math class... so much for 2 things)

The tip on the Millenium LS discs isn't so much about how fast or how much glide they have as it is how predictable and straight they fly.
what he said, they do what you want not the other way around . as far as the other disc you mentioned i dont know about those i throw only innova produced discs. i dont usaully suggest putters or midranges for beginners to drive with as it takes alot of arm to get any distance ( i threw only a putter for along time and it did nothing for me) i suggest getting fast stable fairways
or slow distance drivers.

the first driver i owned was a 163 qjls and i was throwing 300 right away, before that a had some found disc mostly 175 ls polaris's which were to heavy and just hooked , the ls polaris is a little faster than the qjls so you might wanna go upper 150s first with the polaris

No I would say the lack in D difference is normal and that until the arm speed really gets up there this will not chnage so much. Most people will still be able to throw drivers further with slower arm speed simply becuase they can get a better grip for power on a slightly larger rimmed disc. At the same time I could probably still throw my mid ranges as far as my drivers if I really tried. The reality is that the slower the disc the more imperfections in form come out in the disc which will cause slower discs to not go as far as faster discs.

With that being said, work on form and remember that putting and up shots are going to be half to two-thirds of your game making those shots way more important.

I agree with those who are saying to learn how to putt. I learned how to putt early on. I could hang with much better players because I was deadly within 30 feet. Even now, it's the best part of my game. The rest of my game can be off and I can still do really well, because I don't miss many putts.

If you can find a way to practice putting that is fun, it will be worth it. If you want to, learn how to putt in every style you can, from straddle to staggered, pitch and spin and so on. Learn to putt from your knee, to putt anny's around trees and hyzers from the weeds. There is nothing I enjoy more than making a long, technical putt.

Definitely learn to putt. I didn't learn when I began. Now I can drive a little over 400 feet accurately, and well over that when I really let one go. I still, however, can't make 25-45 foot putts consistently. Rarely even 50% from 25.

off the top of my head, 2 things...

slow down, it doesn't take that much effort (ie brute strength) to throw a disc, be SMOOTH

concentrate on good technique/accuracy.... don't get caught up in the big drive hype... 200 straight is better than 300 in the schule

if you haven't yet, check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr GREAT articles to get you started....

and, not to spend your money for you, but you may wanna check out the Climo/Feldburg technique DVD sooner than later...

in closing, putt Putt PUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and learn straddle putt!
to use the old golf quote "drive for show, putt for dough"

and put a Innova TL in your bag, it's the truest disc I've ever thrown.

(Obviously the art college I went to didn't require a math class... so much for 2 things)

lol, the "extra" advice is appreciated! I ordered the DVD this morning and will hopefully have it for the weekend. Once daylight savings ends, I will be limited to occasional play on weekends (damn work schedule) so this will come in handy.
i dont usaully suggest putters or midranges for beginners to drive with as it takes alot of arm to get any distance ( i threw only a putter for along time and it did nothing for me) i suggest getting fast stable fairways
or slow distance drivers.

the first driver i owned was a 163 qjls and i was throwing 300 right away, before that a had some found disc mostly 175 ls polaris's which were to heavy and just hooked , the ls polaris is a little faster than the qjls so you might wanna go upper 150s first with the polaris

I also ordered a QJLS this morning, and am really hoping it will arrive for the weekend. I look forward to working with it.

No I would say the lack in D difference is normal and that until the arm speed really gets up there this will not chnage so much. Most people will still be able to throw drivers further with slower arm speed simply becuase they can get a better grip for power on a slightly larger rimmed disc.

With that being said, work on form and remember that putting and up shots are going to be half to two-thirds of your game making those shots way more important.

Good stuff. I think I tend to feel more comfortable with my mids, due to the larger wider rim. I have big hands and "sausage" fingers, so the proper grip can be challenging for me on faster discs.

I agree with those who are saying to learn how to putt. I learned how to putt early on. I could hang with much better players because I was deadly within 30 feet. Even now, it's the best part of my game. The rest of my game can be off and I can still do really well, because I don't miss many putts.

If you can find a way to practice putting that is fun, it will be worth it. If you want to, learn how to putt in every style you can, from straddle to staggered, pitch and spin and so on. Learn to putt from your knee, to putt anny's around trees and hyzers from the weeds. There is nothing I enjoy more than making a long, technical putt.

I am pretty happy with my putting so far, and practice this more than anything (due to time/space constraints). I have plenty of room to improve and love to practice!

Latest posts