• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Sorry. I guess you did say Rit.

Did you use the I-dye stuff meant for synthetics?

That does make sense, that was probably part of my issue for sure. Yeah I used the dye more which is the synthetic one. I did the same process on a different disc with shaving cream and it was night and day different. It worked a lot better. I'm wondering if it was just that lotion or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does make sense, that was probably part of my issue for sure. Yeah I used the dye more which is the synthetic one. I did the same process on a different disc with shaving cream and it was night and day different. It worked a lot better. I'm wondering if it was just that lotion or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With champion type plastic you really need to add heat. If I am doing a shaving cream or lotion bed I usually use star plastic and let it sit over night. Its hard to do bed dyes with champ plastic because you need heat and the heat can change or wreck your bed.

I have a G* red roc3 with a blue owl stamp. What colors would be good to go with this and will the colors actually take in the red plastic. It's a bright red, method I'm using is lotion mix in a clear glue bed.

I have a G* red roc3 with a blue owl stamp. What colors would be good to go with this and will the colors actually take in the red plastic. It's a bright red, method I'm using is lotion mix in a clear glue bed.
Red is hard but for sure black and blue will show up and look good with red.

So...got a discraft big Z disc in the mail...it is Grass/leaf GREEN.....

Anything I can do to get it a more visible color?

Im about to buy my first dyes.
Without putting my life savings into it (and getting every color in the rainbow), what are some of the recommended colors to start with?

Also, I really want to dye an Innova Dragon DX for a buddy's birthday. I has to be this disc because it floats. It only seems to come in DX plastic, and I gather that it doesn't take dye well. Anything I can do to make it more successful?

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
ProChem sells a beginner pack for discs that will give you plenty of high quality dye for many disks. It's a great way to start.

As far as DX plastic, it's a polyolefin resin. It doesn't take dye well, and there's nothing that will change that.

fwiw my plaz ion stuck out very brightly in the fallen leaves i could actually see it before i got within ten feet of it

and the rest lit up too

well worth the money and time

lets see if the sun fades it or if the dye holds

:popcorn:

held for a little over 2 years

going to redye tonight same routine and same color

hopefully my canned and stored dye solution reapplies to the discs

i have a purple pro d buzzz that im considering doing as well

but for sure tonight i will do the plaz ion and fizz volt

I tried my first dye job yesterday. Shaving cream, pro chem, GStar, 12 hours. I cleaned the disc and wiped with a micro fiber. After pulling the disc out , it had a noticeable and visible grit on it. Any idea what went wrong? Any tips to get rid of it? Im sure its gonna affect the flight a bit.

Out of curiosity, I love dyes but there's no art in me, I get other people to do it. Wish I had the talent....

I was getting a job done, threw some money at a fundraiser, guy offered to do a dye job if you tossed in and donated.... So....

Can you dye a blue axiom rim to purple? Add some red and youre good?

Latest posts