• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

It's gonna be pretty concentrated, I don't think you need to make it even more so. And yes, hot but not boiling. I brought mine up to the edge of boiling, then pulled off the stove for about a minute before submerging the disc. Then I checked the disc color and flipped it over about every 5 minutes or so until the desired color was achieved. The hot water really opens up the pores of the plastic and allows for a surprising amount of color saturation. Also, I found that this process made the discs permanently more grippy and pliable. So there is some risk that you will experience some post-dye differences in hand feel.

I also considered the worm dye, but didn't go that route because a) $10 dye for a $15 disc seemed disproportionate, and b) I could only find scented worm dyes and I didn't want my discin' bag and car trunk to stink. And I dyed for the exact same reason as you -- just wanted a disc that's easier to find. I don't care so much about the aesthetics of my discs. The grippier handfeel was an added benefit, but has made me leery of dying discs that are already 'perfect'.

if i didnt do the heat would the dye still stick

you use a like a big ass spaghetti pot or what to submerge the disc

longer or shorter in water to make it more visible on the course

the main disc i wanna do is my putting putter and main approach disc :eek: well see

and do you usually buy it off amazon

thank you for all your responses and helping me i really appreciate it!!

if i didnt do the heat would the dye still stick -- No. I tried using lukewarm water, and the results were bad. Barely any dye soaked through. It has to be hot.

you use a like a big ass spaghetti pot or what to submerge the disc -- yes. stainless steel.

longer or shorter in water to make it more visible on the course -- it's a balance. Too short in the water, and you won't really notice much difference from before. Too long, and the color will darken more than desired. Hence why I would check about every 5 minutes or so. The hotter the water, the less time needed.

the main disc i wanna do is my putting putter and main approach disc :eek: well see

and do you usually buy it off amazon -- yes.

thank you for all your responses and helping me i really appreciate it!!

No problem man! Answers above.

perfect now i have everything else and am off to amazon to order the dye

i will report back in about a week thanks a million!!

What kind of plastic are you trying to dye?

Different Plastics take Dye differently. Like DX type and PRO type plastic will take dye but it takes a long time and it fades really fast. A lot of people wont even go to the trouble to dye that type of plastic but I have had some good results it just fades sooner than the others.

Star type takes dye super fast and holds it pretty well where champ type plastic takes the dye pretty fast and seems to hold the color better and the lines stay crisper longer.

Where you are dying the whole disc dye migration and blur doesn't really matter but if your putter is soft plastic like DX (Innova) or super soft (Gateway) or the likes you will need to heat your dye up and then remove the heat and put your disc in and basically let it sit overnight to get that type of plastic to take the color. Where as the more premium plastics will go much quicker 2 - 30 minutes depending on how dark you want it.

I mix an Idye poly packet with 1 Quart of water heat it up in the pan remove the heat and put the disc in. When your done just store the dye mixture in a quart canning bottle and you can use it again and again. Good luck!

What kind of plastic are you trying to dye?

Different Plastics take Dye differently. Like DX type and PRO type plastic will take dye but it takes a long time and it fades really fast. A lot of people wont even go to the trouble to dye that type of plastic but I have had some good results it just fades sooner than the others.

Star type takes dye super fast and holds it pretty well where champ type plastic takes the dye pretty fast and seems to hold the color better and the lines stay crisper longer.

Where you are dying the whole disc dye migration and blur doesn't really matter but if your putter is soft plastic like DX (Innova) or super soft (Gateway) or the likes you will need to heat your dye up and then remove the heat and put your disc in and basically let it sit overnight to get that type of plastic to take the color. Where as the more premium plastics will go much quicker 2 - 30 minutes depending on how dark you want it.

I mix an Idye poly packet with 1 Quart of water heat it up in the pan remove the heat and put the disc in. When your done just store the dye mixture in a quart canning bottle and you can use it again and again. Good luck!

mvp plasma

and i think i have a proton or two that needs some brightening up too

I guess I should have read all of the posts! Plasma plastic should dye pretty well and pretty fast. Post some before and after pictures so we can see the results!

thank you all for the help

i used idye pink and ordered it off amazon

i completely messed up my first dye i went way too hot with the water and way too long **** came out almost purple

i found 2-3 minutes and flipping it in the water worked better than 5 minutes but i may have had the water pretty hot

my discs are gstar feel now but thats ok by me

this really should ease my finding the discs after i throw them its night and day difference sorry old phone so it looks a little janky

i saved the leftover dye water mix

i would do this again and if i dont lose my discs ill post back with year update if the dye fades or burns holes into the disc or stays perfect

QcCOtcC.jpg

5E5xGpM.jpg

thank you all for the help

i used idye pink and ordered it off amazon

i completely messed up my first dye i went way too hot with the water and way too long **** came out almost purple

i found 2-3 minutes and flipping it in the water worked better than 5 minutes but i may have had the water pretty hot

my discs are gstar feel now but thats ok by me

this really should ease my finding the discs after i throw them its night and day difference sorry old phone so it looks a little janky

i saved the leftover dye water mix

i would do this again and if i dont lose my discs ill post back with year update if the dye fades or burns holes into the disc or stays perfect

QcCOtcC.jpg

5E5xGpM.jpg

That Proton Ion turned out awesome! The others look solid too, but that P Ion looks even better than new. Glad it worked out for you! And hope the difference in grip doesn't bother you too much. The grip change is admittedly the one downside.

That Proton Ion turned out awesome! The others look solid too, but that P Ion looks even better than new. Glad it worked out for you! And hope the difference in grip doesn't bother you too much. The grip change is admittedly the one downside.

it was initially darker than intended but i think a little sun fade and its going to be great

well it couldnt get any worse really cuz it would just be sitting in the basement if i didnt dye it

the grip will be fine its better than electron anyday ;)

fwiw my plaz ion stuck out very brightly in the fallen leaves i could actually see it before i got within ten feet of it

and the rest lit up too

well worth the money and time

lets see if the sun fades it or if the dye holds

:popcorn:

Dyeing ?

Hey everyone, so I'm about to send off some discs to Huk Labs to have the giant black Tri Fly dye put on them. But I'm confused by a few things and need some help clarifying how it all works?

So I notice on their website, they have lots of discs already for sale that have the large Dye on it WITH the stamp STILL on the disc. And I've noticed if you look closely at them, it looks like the Dye is sometimes underneath the stamp from the company! Which first of all, how does that even work? If they get the disc in from Discmania with the stamp already on it, THEN dye it, how do they get the dye underneath the stamp? That seems impossible. But it could be simple since I have no idea how they dye.

And then they do the opposite on other discs. They put the black dye on TOP of the stamp from the factory.

So does anyone know how they are doing that? Are they ordering blank discs from the company, putting their dye on it, THEN stamping it with the company stamp? Take the below discs for ex. How does it work? It never says on their website that you have to take the stamp off. It just states that if you take the stamp off it's 15 per disc. And if they take the stamp off it's 20 per disc.

But what if I just want the stamp to stay on there and have them put the dye under or over the stamp, like the majority of their discs show on the site? Can they do that? Because, if you look at these photos on their site, it looks like they can and do. But They don't really make that part clear.

This one looks like it has the Dye on TOP of the stamp
TFD_LoneHowl_1__99516.1567719582.jpg

This one looks like it has the Dye UNDERNEATH the stamp
TFDLoneHowl_2__55702.1567719662.jpg

Thanks guys

So I've done some shaving cream dyes in the past with pretty solid results. So yesterday I went and snagged some black iDye Poly to do some straight up solid black dyes to cover up some ink. After letting a disc sit in dye for 8 hours, I pulled it and washed it. To my surprise...it's now purple instead of black. I would have thought that something as easy as a solid black dyed disc should be a no-brainer. I didn't use the color intensifier and I heated the dye after mixing like I usually do for my shaving cream dyes.

Any thoughts on what I need to change?

Hey all,

Can anyone point me in a good general direction for some tips on dyeing dark forest green discs? I have 4 really sweet discs that I'd love to bag one day but they are impossible to see even lying in the grass, nonetheless in the Michigan shule on an actual course. I'll probably reach out to someone local and have them done, but if there is any good general info I should know going in that would be helpful. Is this a pretty easy job for someone to do who is experienced with dyeing? I'm not picky about dyes or colors, anything pink/red/etc. that stands out would work. Thanks.

• Echo Star Wraith
  • Elite Z Express
  • Echo Star Leopard
  • Swirly AJ Star Teebird

Hey all,

Can anyone point me in a good general direction for some tips on dyeing dark forest green discs? I have 4 really sweet discs that I'd love to bag one day but they are impossible to see even lying in the grass, nonetheless in the Michigan shule on an actual course. I'll probably reach out to someone local and have them done, but if there is any good general info I should know going in that would be helpful. Is this a pretty easy job for someone to do who is experienced with dyeing? I'm not picky about dyes or colors, anything pink/red/etc. that stands out would work. Thanks.

• Echo Star Wraith
  • Elite Z Express
  • Echo Star Leopard
  • Swirly AJ Star Teebird

General rule of thumb, you can never dye a lighter color than the disc is itself. Your best bet is to do stippling with metallic sharpies. Stippling keeps the sharpies from running.

Here is a tutorial done with ink and paper, but it's the same concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE5JgjgOw7M

General rule of thumb, you can never dye a lighter color than the disc is itself. Your best bet is to do stippling with metallic sharpies. Stippling keeps the sharpies from running.

Here is a tutorial done with ink and paper, but it's the same concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE5JgjgOw7M

Metallic sharpie, never would have thought of that. I guess I could just draw a nice big star in the middle of the disc, keeping it away from the outer handle where I grip it.

Just any old metallic sharpie like this would work huh?

Metallic sharpie, never would have thought of that. I guess I could just draw a nice big star in the middle of the disc, keeping it away from the outer handle where I grip it.

Just any old metallic sharpie like this would work huh?

It should. Use stippling or very short lines to do the fill, otherwise the sharpie will smear and look horrid.... been there, done that.

Let the disc set for a few days before playing. Sharpies 'bleed' into the disc and do not fully set for a few days.

It should. Use stippling or very short lines to do the fill, otherwise the sharpie will smear and look horrid.... been there, done that.

Let the disc set for a few days before playing. Sharpies 'bleed' into the disc and do not fully set for a few days.

Thanks. I'm a terrible artist, but I can probably manage a basic star pattern. I have an old pearly OOP Elite Z Express that is perfectly beat in and flies and glides for absolute days that sits collecting dust in my closet. Been wanting to bag it for a long time now but it's forest green. I've taken it out for some test flights in the open field and it flew so nice but even sitting in open short grass caused way too many long searches for.

Thanks. I'm a terrible artist, but I can probably manage a basic star pattern. I have an old pearly OOP Elite Z Express that is perfectly beat in and flies and glides for absolute days that sits collecting dust in my closet. Been wanting to bag it for a long time now but it's forest green. I've taken it out for some test flights in the open field and it flew so nice but even sitting in open short grass caused way too many long searches for.

If you have a hobby lobby nearby, they have all kinds of template patterns in all sizes. Just tape the stencil onto the disc and fill in with dots

If the disc is 'see through' enough, you could print out a design and tape it to the bottom of the disc. Then do your tracing/coloring on the top.

Hey everyone, so I'm about to send off some discs to Huk Labs to have the giant black Tri Fly dye put on them. But I'm confused by a few things and need some help clarifying how it all works?

So I notice on their website, they have lots of discs already for sale that have the large Dye on it WITH the stamp STILL on the disc. And I've noticed if you look closely at them, it looks like the Dye is sometimes underneath the stamp from the company! Which first of all, how does that even work? If they get the disc in from Discmania with the stamp already on it, THEN dye it, how do they get the dye underneath the stamp? That seems impossible. But it could be simple since I have no idea how they dye.

And then they do the opposite on other discs. They put the black dye on TOP of the stamp from the factory.

So does anyone know how they are doing that? Are they ordering blank discs from the company, putting their dye on it, THEN stamping it with the company stamp? Take the below discs for ex. How does it work? It never says on their website that you have to take the stamp off. It just states that if you take the stamp off it's 15 per disc. And if they take the stamp off it's 20 per disc.

But what if I just want the stamp to stay on there and have them put the dye under or over the stamp, like the majority of their discs show on the site? Can they do that? Because, if you look at these photos on their site, it looks like they can and do. But They don't really make that part clear.

Thanks guys

Send them an email. Let them know you are planning on sending them some discs to dye and you are trying to figure out if you want the design over the disc stamp or the stamp over the design. Include both examples in the email. Ask them how they get the stamp over the design and if it costs more to have it done that way.

It's your discs and you are the customer, so it's right that you should ask questions before getting your discs dyed. The 'under stamp' method may be a 'trade secret' but at least they can tell you if it is an option. Maybe they have a deal with some companies where they get blank discs, dye them, and send them back to be stamped....but I doubt that.