• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

could you dye your disc when the dye is at room temp?, will it just take longer or will it not turn out?

Not a problem, the only thing to be careful of is if you've recently dyed on the top, the heat can extract the fresher dye and you'll get a blotchy effect on the undyed areas. A quick mask will prevent this.

When I do a bottom dye, I heat up a pan of just plain water and keep that warm and float the disc in it, then spoon in warm dyes, my dye times are about equivalent this way.

When working with paste, mine seem to take forever. Would this idea also help speed up that process, just float the disc top-side up?

When working with paste, mine seem to take forever. Would this idea also help speed up that process, just float the disc top-side up?

I'd imagine it would although I've never dyed with paste. The heat does help the dye take to the plastic, so I'd imagine the additional heat would help speed up your process. I've heard of people baking at very low temperatures in an over, around 120-130, but never tried that either though. I'd imagine if you could find a way to heat your paste up initially that would also help.

I'd imagine it would although I've never dyed with paste. The heat does help the dye take to the plastic, so I'd imagine the additional heat would help speed up your process. I've heard of people baking at very low temperatures in an over, around 120-130, but never tried that either though. I'd imagine if you could find a way to heat your paste up initially that would also help.

I tried it only a couple times, when I had only a small area to dye, instead of remasking the whole disc, but I was so discouraged by the lack of progress, I gave up. I always started with warm paste, but it cooled so quickly, I guess that's why the process never worked for me.

for those of you with a USCutter plotter, will the blades for a Cri-Cut work in the plotter? if so, i can get my hands on a bunch of cheap blades/cartridges if anyone is interested.

Not sure if this is a good enough pic but here it is.

117928DD.jpg

You could always buy a blade from Joann's as a test and return it. That way you can see if it will work and won't be out any money unless you forget to return it lol. You know with all the dyes you have to do. lol

they do look extremely similar, but they would need to be precisely the same size

after looking around online, a couple places said that roland blades fit cricuts, so I guess it would work the other way as well.

someone try it out!

*also on a similar note: Does anyone use anything other than a 45 degree blade?

How can I get this type of fading/coloring onto a disc???

SRV_STRAT.jpg

Im actually going to try and recreate the original version of his guitar (with all of the imperfections and scuffs, etc...) Any Idea how I could do the sunburst? And also any ideas on how to get a nice woodgrain?

dye and disc combinations

I've tried dying a scarlet red disc before with a yellow rit, but had no luck whatsoever. the yellow just didn't want to take; is there a way to do a lighter color of dye, on the darker color disc?

Any advice for painting with dye? ei, what kind of dye should I use (or mixture) and how do i get it to set?

i use 1 bottle of rit to 1/4-1/8 bottle of acetone(measured in rit bottle). mix it and i paint it on with a foam brush, let sit for 30 seconds to a minute, wash off and re apple if i want darker

I've tried dying a scarlet red disc before with a yellow rit, but had no luck whatsoever. the yellow just didn't want to take; is there a way to do a lighter color of dye, on the darker color disc?

not really; dye doesn't go on top of a color like paint would, so you can't really cover up or lighten any existing color

Latest posts