• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

also.. can someone explain to me.. oh boy.. how to post pics to a thread. I have a flickr, was wondering if I could use that to host?

click the little mountain copy the url, past ethe url

but put your pic's url in the parentheses

I am dyeing a cryZtal Nuke and was wanting to dye the bottom rim so when looking through the disc you could see the dyed rim. I believe I may have seen this on a cryZtal disc somewhere in the Dye a Day thread before. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to only dye the bottom rim?

Build handles out of tape or put a suction cup on the top so you have something to hold on to. Then just float in the dye with the bottom rim down.

wear gloves, or suffer stained fingers, if you don't want to tape on some handles. Lately, I've had a couple incidents with the tape handles coming off while the disc is 3-4 inches above the dye. Splash

All the major craft stores. A lot of grocery stores in the laundry detergent section and Wal-marts and stores like that. Make sure you look for dyes without the ND stamp on them. If you can find dyes with a lot marking ending in 10 (the year packaged) or earlier you should be ok. With liquid dyes the ND stamp would be on top with the lot #. On powders inside on the packaging if you are lucky enough to find one you can read.

enhance/darken color of disc

what is the best way to simply just darken or enhance a discs's color? i have a bright yellow opto disc that i would like to dye with a darker yellow to enhance it's visibility.

i do not not want to remove the stamp, just add layers or so of related colors.

i have zero dyeing skills and am as freekin' noobie as you can get in this regards.

thanks.

what is the best way to simply just darken or enhance a discs's color? i have a bright yellow opto disc that i would like to dye with a darker yellow to enhance it's visibility.

i have zero dyeing skills and am as freekin' noobie as you can get in this regards.

thanks.

Sounds like all you need to do is find the color of dye you want to use. Mix it with water in a pan (preferably just slightly larger than your disc) and heat it up to near boiling... back the heat off a bit.. then drop the disc in ... shouldn't mess with the stamp on the disc and be sure to use gloves when taking your disc out

thanks.

I strongly recommend dyeing the back of the flightplate.

Tape off the inside rim.
Heat dye and spoon or carefully pour it into the back if the plate.
Check every min or so until desired color reached.

This will give a yellow rim and colored flight plate and actually easier to see on the ground as well

I have to second NoThingness here. Underside dyes look cooler, seem to require less work, and typically make the rim color appear more vibrant. If you want a simple design, I am pretty sure you could draw on the back of the flight plate with a crayon instead of masking it off with vinyl(have not tried it). Go heavy with the crayon to get a good wax coating. Also, you don't need to heat up the dye, but it will take 4-6 hours to get a deep color if you do it room temperature.

I'm new to the forum and I read someone's post saying that they freeze the disc after dying. Does that help set the dye?

Tape off the inside rim.

This will give a yellow rim and colored flight plate and actually easier to see on the ground as well

thank you bro, i will give this a shot!

Tape off the inside rim.

are there any videos out of doing this?

Latest posts