• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Get something called a "french curve." Or better yet, make one off a stencil on Google and then dye it. They help with weird curves more so than with true circles. And still, NoThingness and Eky8 have it right. Cut your lines like you are drawing calligraphy as opposed to printing your name on a tax form; flowing and smooth.

Pretty much what everyone else is saying, best advice I ever got for cutting smooth lines was look down the road, not directly where you're cutting.

I haven't got a response from my last post. I've heard about putting a disc in the freezer after dying. Is this a common thing to do?

I haven't got a response from my last post. I've heard about putting a disc in the freezer after dying. Is this a common thing to do?

Yes it helps to cure the dye and slows down the fading and blurring of the dyes allowing your art to look new for much longer periods of time. Minimum of 24 hrs in the freezer

If anything, 24 hr+ fridge/freezer time delays the natural and inevitable blur. I haven't seen proof of it really setting the dye, but cool and dry is always better for dye preservation.

Hey I'm sure its been said but looking through 21 pages would take forever lol. How much RIT dye do I mix with the alcohol? I'm going to try my first dye tonight.

The alcohol is really just for painting on or airbrushing I think, otherwise go with 20oz water to 1 pack of dye, will do you right:thmbup:

alright thanks! A buddy of mine used alcohol and liquid dye but couldn't remember the amounts. But if water works then I shall try that.

I am bumping this because I think it is a useful thread, especially if you just need a simple yes or no answer and you're in the middle of the dying process.

I hope it isn't used for people skipping over this:
Sticky: Disc Dyeing Basics, Techniques, and Tutorials

I'm a noob at using vinyl. What's the best way to line a disc up when doing multiple dip dyes?

For example, if I do an outline of a shape in black, then want to fill it in with another color, how do I ensure that I place the disc in exactly the correct spot?

This is something I didn't have to think about using contact paper and cutting the stencil out on the disc.

TSo been following the dye threads for little while and want to give it a try...my biggest question right now is I'm ordering the the starter set from prochemical, does that com with enough carrier and syntrapol to mix all the colors in the set...don't want to get all ready to start dyeing and have to order more, rather get it all in one shipment since shipping cost a bit...last of all I want to thank all you ppl that have experimented and shared the good and bads of dyeing, hopefully I'll be able to share my experiences soon

TSo been following the dye threads for little while and want to give it a try...my biggest question right now is I'm ordering the the starter set from prochemical, does that com with enough carrier and syntrapol to mix all the colors in the set...don't want to get all ready to start dyeing and have to order more, rather get it all in one shipment since shipping cost a bit...last of all I want to thank all you ppl that have experimented and shared the good and bads of dyeing, hopefully I'll be able to share my experiences soon
Here is a link to my post explaining the ratios I used. If you go by these ratios you shouldn't even go through barely half of the additives. I came up with these ratios trying to calculate down to my own mix going off from the prochemicals instructions that come with the sampler pack. I had to do a ton of conversions. Not a 100% it is right, but it isn't exactly a science...yet ;)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2371306&postcount=137

Man Ty so much I've followed these threads for past few months, by way you do awesome work. I'm placing my order tomorrow for the dyes.. I got addicted to this game bad and went crazy buying disc from factory pro shop and have lots of disc to play with. Granted there may be a few I don't keep cause still trying to figure it all out, but down with making them all my own desing. Maybe a while before I do it but trust once I do you will see pictures .Ty again

I'm a noob at using vinyl. What's the best way to line a disc up when doing multiple dip dyes?

For example, if I do an outline of a shape in black, then want to fill it in with another color, how do I ensure that I place the disc in exactly the correct spot?

This is something I didn't have to think about using contact paper and cutting the stencil out on the disc.

I wonder this as well when I see stencil dyes with lots of different colors.

For your example, you can just dip the black outline first. Then take off the vinyl only in the spots you want to color next and dip it again because it won't dye over the black already there.

Its multiple colors that I don't have experience with. I am not positive on how people remask their discs. Either they cover the stencil already their or recut another peice. I don't know.

I believe another multiple color option is to dip the black, then paint in the color areas with laundry detergent mixtures.

I wonder this as well when I see stencil dyes with lots of different colors.

For your example, you can just dip the black outline first. Then take off the vinyl only in the spots you want to color next and dip it again because it won't dye over the black already there.

Its multiple colors that I don't have experience with. I am not positive on how people remask their discs. Either they cover the stencil already their or recut another peice. I don't know.

I believe another multiple color option is to dip the black, then paint in the color areas with laundry detergent mixtures.

As mentioned above, if you're doing black + one other color, you do the black first, then weed the vinyl off for the next color, and dye that. The black won't get any darker, so you can do any color over a black mask.

After that, it's all hand-masking. Even with a plotter and a perfect cut, it would be impossible to align perfectly. I wish you could do this, but alas, even those with a plotter have to re-mask at this stage. I bought a roll of clear vinyl specifically for this purpose, but you can use any vinyl you have if you have a solid light table.

Cover the entire disc, then carefully cut and weed the vinyl away from the areas for the next color. Use a sharp Exacto and barely touch the vinyl. Takes some practice, but it'll happen. Just don't go too deep with the blade and cut into the plastic. Best to cut very lightly, and then if it isn't cut through you can go over it again, carefully. It's a touch-and-feel thing. Try it first on a DX/bunk disc, just to get the feel of how much(little) pressure it takes to cut through vinyl with a fresh Exacto blade.

Latest posts