• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

I have a GL Trident with one of those super sparkly stamps (idk what they're called...stamp is made of a bunch of tiny sparkly squares, if u no what I mean). Anyways, these stamps are tougher to get off than a normal stamp. It came off fine but took some elbow grease.

Fun fact - those stamps also seem impervious to SC / detergent and other things that dissolve other, easier-to-remove stamps. It's hard to see on this one bc of the colors, but this stamp was not affected at all by a SC dye:
picture.php

Fun fact - those stamps also seem impervious to SC / detergent and other things that dissolve other, easier-to-remove stamps. It's hard to see on this one bc of the colors, but this stamp was not affected at all by a SC dye:
picture.php

Great to know about the sparkly/metallic/flakey stamps!

I just put in a wholesale order with Dynamic Discs to get some Trilogy plastic (don't know if y'all saw my thread in the Discs section). If I see anything that might be good for dyeing, I'll let y'all know so y'all can order it from me. :D

Edit: sick dye BTW! how do you get that look with shaving cream? I can't figure out the soap/detergent mixture to get something like that but I want to dye a disc in that "style" so bad (nebula/milky).

how do you get that look with shaving cream? I can't figure out the soap/detergent mixture to get something like that but I want to dye a disc in that "style" so bad (nebula/milky).

its shaving cream, you can tell because of how it is the sunburst type effect. Nebula's are more blobby and don't burst outward. No soap/detergent needed in shaving cream dyes. Where are you having problems?

R57vlgY.jpg

This one is Dashwasher Detergent Bed, as oppose to shaving cream. So you can see the difference. It doesn't Burst out like the other one.

Last edited:
Oh, I think I kind of misread your post. If you need full shaving cream instructions, there are several videos on YouTube that can explain it fully. Probably the easiest way to learn, it is pretty straight forward. Just depends on the design on the bed to get the different looks.

its shaving cream, you can tell because of how it is the sunburst type effect. Nebula's are more blobby and don't burst outward. No soap/detergent needed in shaving cream dyes. Where are you having problems?

R57vlgY.jpg

This one is Dashwasher Detergent Bed, as oppose to shaving cream. So you can see the difference. It doesn't Burst out like the other one.

I meant that when I tried the detergent/soap method it didn't work very well (probably because I didn't have the dye in long enough prior to messing with it, or it wasn't concentrated enough).

The only shaving cream dyes I have done are the tye-dye style. I don't know how people are setting the dye on the bed to get it that perfect sunburst look. I guess I'm just not creative enough with the dyes yet... lol

Yeah, I'm sure if you have the time and discs to practice on you'll get the hang of it. I'm not much of a dyer or artist myself. But I think its fun to do it now and again. Just test out shaving cream depth and design until you nail it.

For reference, the one above was my second go at a nebula. So like you, after the first one was kind of faded. I used more powder, a small amount of vinegar, and left it in the bed for a full 48 hours. Come out 10x brighter than the first.

I have been reading through about technique and what dyes to use and really have not found an answer to my question yet so here goes:

I have some older discs that are crystal clear, champ plastic. I bought them to throw and they are not valuable but can't easily be replaced and are too hard to find when thrown (in grass or woods unless sun is out). What would be the best method to just turn the crystal clear champ plastic to a color more easy to find (dayglow yellow, red, orange)? Should I just get the iDye Poly in Red or Orange (their yellow looks darker)? I am not looking to put any kind of design on, only want to be able to find them.

thank you.

1) buy idye poly in whatever color you like
2) mix whole dye packet in water (20-36oz)
3) heat water mix until it beings steam a bit
4) remove mix from heat
5) insert disc
6) wait as long as your patience allows

I wouldn't use yellow if you're trying to make it easy to find in the woods.

1) buy idye poly in whatever color you like
2) mix whole dye packet in water (20-36oz)
3) heat water mix until it beings steam a bit
4) remove mix from heat
5) insert disc
6) wait as long as your patience allows

I wouldn't use yellow if you're trying to make it easy to find in the woods.

This. Granted I did the buzz dye first and then masked it off, but this was a glow z disc that had lost most of its glow. This is Idye Poly Pink:

Attachments

• Buzzz.jpg
    Buzzz.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 31
How well does elmer's glue/rubber cement hold up to heat?

I need to be able to cover some lines and then do a hot dip. The only times I have used glue I have been painting or doing other room temp stuff.

So it looks like a snow day for me and I have some iDye Poly, and was thinking about trying a SC dye. One quick question, do I have to worry about the iDye staining my white kitchen sink when I'm rinsing off my discs? I'm sure I'm being overly paranoid, but figured it's best to ask before making a costly mistake.

That really depends on the sink in question. If it's porcelain with a white glaze, like toilets usually have, it's probably OK. However, one of my bathroom sinks appears to have some sort of paint/coating on top and I'm afraid it would pick up some of the color. I would also stay away from fiberglass/vinyl, like in a bath tub, as it might take some of the color as well. I'm a bit paranoid about all of this, and only use dyes in my stainless steel sink...

What material is the sink? I accidentally got dye on a light switch once but they are plastic. If the sink is porcelain or metal I would think you are ok. Get a second opinion though.

I wouldn't worry about it when rinsing a SC dye. Where you really need to be careful is using any sort of acetone mix - that will stain pretty much everything, and very quickly.

SC and other stuff will also stain things you dont want them to (sinks, counters, etc) since idye is so strong, but if you are just rinsing it there shouldn't be contact between surface and dye long enough for anything to take.

To be overly cautious- you could rinse them into a mixing bowl or a large pot and dilute it, then pour it in the sink

I got granite counter tops and a stainless steel tank. Keep the splashing to a minimum and you'll be just fine! Dye on!

I use it all the time for dip dying.

How long do you let it set? Do you keep your dye lower temp when using glue?

I put the glue on last night, let it sit for 10 hours, then threw it in the dye this morning. After about 20 minutes I checked and the glue already looked to be dissolving. It was still on there, but it was getting all mushy.

I left it in while at work - not confident that there will be any glue left on the disc by 5pm tonight.

I haven't had much a problem using the glue for longer dyes..... the glue gets a little mushy.... but still seems to stick enough.

Latest posts