• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Thanks. Will check it out. I'm sure there was some info already on here but finding out would probably have been a lot of reading.

I've seen people say that Lat 64 Opto plastic takes dye well, but does anyone have experience with the Gold Line plastic? I'm looking to dye a Gold Line river this weekend.

I've seen people say that Lat 64 Opto plastic takes dye well, but does anyone have experience with the Gold Line plastic? I'm looking to dye a Gold Line river this weekend.

GL is awesome. It's my second favorite behind Ultrium.

Can you dye champion plastic? Some videos I've watched say you can. Other say you can't

yep, champion/z/opto plastic are the best plastic to dye, because they hold the dye the best over time. sometimes it takes a bit longer to dye, but the dye stays crisper for longer once the disc is dyed.

Anyone have any examples of 2 colors of plastic bag dye on top of each other?

Just wondering what that looks like. Doing a disc that I want 2 different colors of plastic bag method for the background, but I don't want to have to do an extra mask for it. So I figure I can do one section, then unmask the rest and do another color, so some parts have both colors and others have only the second color.

It may not be exactly what you're looking to do but for this one I let it sit on the blue for a while, then added red and let it sit some more....
picture.php

picture.php

I have a strange problem with a dye I'm doing. I did a dip dye in black for an outline, then mixed gun metal grey with alcohol and laundry soap to paint in some of the form. I did the same thing with pink, then with turquois. All the same mixture of 91% rubbing alcohol, liquid laundry detergent and idye poly. The grey took well. The pink was a little light, but with a second coat looks good. The turquoise didn't take at all. I reapplied a second time and increased the alcohol and dye, just in case. Still nothing. I threw out that mixture and just used the soap and dye in equal parts, letting it set for 24 hours. It has the faintest trace of blue where I painted it, but really, it's still white.
Is it bad dye?
Did I miss something? My only thought was, maybe the turquoise isn't poly, and was mislabeled.
Has anyone had this problem before?

I've heard of that happening every so often with idye. Seems they occasionally mislabel a stock dye as poly. Probably the third time I've heard of this.

Is there any way to take dye off, did a design and it came out very bad and would love to be able to start over

Is there any way to take dye off, did a design and it came out very bad and would love to be able to start over

Once the dye is in it is a done deal! Dye will continue to soak/leach into the plastic till it gets blurry and comes out the other side of the disc.

Just chalk it up to the learning curve :doh:.

Yes and no. You can do a black dip, but expect to leave it in the dye for a couple days, and for it fade rather quickly. Colors and multi shades are probably a bad idea for dx.

Bennett has posted some real nice dx dyes from long ago.

Been thinking about trying to dye a pro rhyno recently. I have no experience with dyeing but I was gonna start with something simple like a small huk lab stamp. I've read varying opinions about dying pro plastic, any thoughts or advice would be helpful as I don't want to f**k up a $30 disc. Thanks!!