• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

What is a hyzer spike? I know what hyzer and anhyzer mean, but not in conjunction with spiking a disc...
Hyzer spike - also known as spike hyzer or knife hyzer. An extremely deep hyzer angle release that is thrown high, usually to get around an obstacle, and is designed to drop down and land hard but stick in a certain area. Can be used to get out of trouble or as a technical strategy shot.
This would be worth a bookmark. :)
Disc Golf Glossary

Are discs above max weight PDGA legal?

Does Innova still mold X/L molds(not talking SL FL TL)? Are the Starfire, Firebird, and Teebird technically X molds or were there 3 molds(X/L/Standard?)?

Thanks in advance, my brain is hungry! :D

There were 3 molds of both the Firebird and Starfire, 2 for the Eagle and Teebird. The middle molds for both Firebird and Starfire were abandoned. The X and L molds of all of those are still in production.

Thanks Matt, any info why overweightedness(lol) really makes a difference or just because they say so?

It has to do with inertia. Under the right conditions, heavier weights would provide an unfair distance advantage in smaller diameter discs.

I believe the rim diameter to weight rule came about because of Super Puppies.

It has to do with inertia. Under the right conditions, heavier weights would provide an unfair distance advantage in smaller diameter discs.

I believe the rim diameter to weight rule came about because of Super Puppies.
Lighter weights also give an advantage, but I'm guessing no one would've thought of how light discs are getting, so there wasn't a concern on that end...

Sounds interesting, do tell?

Well, I'm not sure of the details, but back in the early 80's Destiny was running Super Puppies out past 200 grams, and they were 21cm discs.
I guess if you had the arm you could really huk them far.

My theory is Dunipace was jealous because he couldnt make Aviars that heavy, so he helped write the current guidelines with the 8.3g. per cm. rule.

I do remember some heavy Puppy fans that were really pissed off.

Destiny also got the boot on the Dimple because it wouldnt flex enough, I think Dave helped shape the flex guidelines too.

Probably why they went out of business, and now everybody that hears the name Dynamic discs thinks of the guys who tattoo a crown on everything.

There were 3 molds of both the Firebird and Starfire, 2 for the Eagle and Teebird. The middle molds for both Firebird and Starfire were abandoned. The X and L molds of all of those are still in production.
Perfect answer, thank you

Well, I'm not sure of the details, but back in the early 80's Destiny was running Super Puppies out past 200 grams, and they were 21cm discs.
I guess if you had the arm you could really huk them far.

My theory is Dunipace was jealous because he couldnt make Aviars that heavy, so he helped write the current guidelines with the 8.3g. per cm. rule.

I do remember some heavy Puppy fans that were really pissed off.

Destiny also got the boot on the Dimple because it wouldnt flex enough, I think Dave helped shape the flex guidelines too.

Probably why they went out of business, and now everybody that hears the name Dynamic discs thinks of the guys who tattoo a crown on everything.
Thanks for engaging in my unending thirst for knowledge. :D
The more I learn, it seems Innova wants things their way and often gets it.

when buying a new disc how do you know which are over or under stable? I realise Innova's usually have their ratings printed on them, but after looking at their disc chart these ratings don't seem to match. Also some discs are rated different on the charts then on the disc - example Innova's Starfire Pro is marked 10/5/-1/2 on the disc but on the charts it's 10/4/0/3. It's all getting me confuzzled.Some discs have ratings that would indicate overstable and are actually understable.

when buying a new disc how do you know which are over or under stable? I realise Innova's usually have their ratings printed on them, but after looking at their disc chart these ratings don't seem to match. Also some discs are rated different on the charts then on the disc - example Innova's Starfire Pro is marked 10/5/-1/2 on the disc but on the charts it's 10/4/0/3. It's all getting me confuzzled.Some discs have ratings that would indicate overstable and are actually understable.

If you rub your thumb on the lip, you can get a somewhat idea of the flight of the disc.

If you feel a "bump" like on a firebird or eagle, this means its overstable. If it's smooth, like a Leopard or roadrunner, this usually means it's understable.

Now obviously this isn't a golden rule, but it's close to accurate.

One good thing you can also do is go to innovas site and look at the disc you are throwing. It tells you a disc that would be good in comparison to that disc. Like your starfire, it states if you need more fade, try a monster. More turn, try an orc. More glide, the mako.

I find this to be extremely handy:

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/media/flightguide.html

It may not be super accurate but it's plenty accurate for hacks like me.

All of these flight numbers are generally relative and extremely ambiguous. In my experience, the best chart for comparing discs across companies is Joe's Universal Flight Chart. Joe's is a little more scientific b/c it's Blake from DGR and some professional throwers, then they get a lot of feedback from DGR posters aka disc nerds so at least there is a baseline of comparison rather than just going by what the manufacturers' say about their products. I am not a fan of Marshall St's at all.

The other thing to remember is that certain plastics fly a bit different. For example, a Champ Leopard is going to fly more overstable than a Pro Leopard. It generally goes Champ/Star/Pro/DX from overstable to understable but parting line height and dome are huge factors also.

All of these flight numbers are generally relative and extremely ambiguous. In my experience, the best chart for comparing discs across companies is Joe's Universal Flight Chart. Joe's is a little more scientific b/c it's Blake from DGR and some professional throwers, then they get a lot of feedback from DGR posters aka disc nerds so at least there is a baseline of comparison rather than just going by what the manufacturers' say about their products. I am not a fan of Marshall St's at all.

The other thing to remember is that certain plastics fly a bit different. For example, a Champ Leopard is going to fly more overstable than a Pro Leopard. It generally goes Champ/Star/Pro/DX from overstable to understable but parting line height and dome are huge factors also.

Bro D, I'm probably missing something obvious - but why are the discs highlighted in certain colours? For example, Force, Blitz, Teerex and Pulse are all green

Bro D, I'm probably missing something obvious - but why are the discs highlighted in certain colours? For example, Force, Blitz, Teerex and Pulse are all green

They all have the same HSS (turn). I think they use color to break up the monotony to make it easier to read, so all discs with similar HSS within a certain speed are colored the same.