• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I really don't wanna go through 308 pages and look if you answered this or not so here it goes.
You said to noobs on the first page not to throw double digits speed. I have a star vulcan that I found and it has 13 speed like the boss. Why not use it? What should I use instead?

high speed drivers hide form flaws. like strong arming the disc instead of using your whole body. slower more neutral discs make you learn good form if you want them to fly correctly.

if you're serious about getting better, slow your bag down. my suggestion would be to go to the sticky thread about how to build a bag. thats a good start. discs like leopards, eagles, rocs, comets and throwing your putters will help your learn good form and how to shape lines.

once you get those down imagine how far you can throw your speed 13 disc.

Also, to answer the question, try something slower when you first start playing.
High speed discs , like the Vulcan, are " nose sensistive ", which means if you throw them with any up angle they will just climb and die.
Most new players I see think they should throw a disc like a baseball.
I call these throws " rainbow hyzers ", the disc climbs rapidy, stalls, then curves steeply back down to the ground.
This tendency, combined with any superfast disc will only make it harder for a new player to play well.

As a general rule, the sharper the nose is on a disc, the harder it will be to throw flat, so look for blunt noses when your starting out.

What causes a disc to "clover" and what happens to the disc's flight once its clovered? (I've seen photos that look like the flight plate looks like a couple big ripples or water, and never experienced it myself). Are some discs/plastics more prone to it?

Discs can clover due to heat or use.

They can clover through heat because the thin flight plate will soften and sink if left in a car or out in any high heat area.

The can clover through use due to thumb pressure and tree hits. The thin flight plate slowly sinks as you apply downward pressure and the tree hits slowly stress it. Discs with thinner and/or softer flight plates are more prone to this type of clovering, that is why you see it a lot in older soft wizards. Their extra thin soft flight plate made them easy to collapse.

clovered discs are usually less stable and have less glide than their non-clovered couterparts. Some people prefer clovered discs due to the shorter depth of the disc.

How did you guys like the discraft misprint 10 packs on dynamic discs? I was going to get an esp less than 170 one hoping for comets, meteors, and drones and was wondering what disc you guys got in yours?

Check it:

Disc - Max Wt.(g) - Dia(cm) - Hgt(cm) - RmDepth(cm) - InRimDia(cm) - RimThk(cm) - RimDepthDiam(%) - RimConfig - Flex(kg)
Roc - 180.11 - 21.7 - 2 - 1.3 - 19.3 - 1.2 - 5.9907 - 43 - 8.51
Shark - 180.11 - 21.7 - 2.1 - 1.3 - 19.3 - 1.2 - 5.9907 - 39.5 - 11.32
Wasp - 179.3 - 21.6 - 1.8 - 1.3 - 19.2 - 1.2 - 6.0185 - 37 - 8.39
Buzzz - 180.11 - 21.7 - 1.9 - 1.3 - 19.3 - 1.2 - 5.9907 - 44 - 6.24

I have newbie etiquette question. My sister and I were playing a new course today, and some better players were playing behind us. I kept looking back to see if they would like to play through, but they kept hanging back, and never caught up to us at the tee. Then my sister threw to the wrong side of a manod. After recovering the disc, we had to back track to where it had gone out. I saw the other players waiting at the tee, and I yelled to them to play through, because we were totally slowing them down. They did so, but one of them came up to me and complained that we should have let them play through much earlier, as they had been playing behind us since the first hole. I was a bit irritated by this complaint, as I felt that if they had wanted to play through, they should have approached us rather than hanging back as they had done. I would have gladly let them play through earlier if they had caught up to us at a tee, but I wasn't about to run back from the basket to the previous tee to suggest it. Was I wrong? Am I missing something? Thanks.

I have newbie etiquette question. My sister and I were playing a new course today, and some better players were playing behind us. I kept looking back to see if they would like to play through, but they kept hanging back, and never caught up to us at the tee. Then my sister threw to the wrong side of a manod. After recovering the disc, we had to back track to where it had gone out. I saw the other players waiting at the tee, and I yelled to them to play through, because we were totally slowing them down. They did so, but one of them came up to me and complained that we should have let them play through much earlier, as they had been playing behind us since the first hole. I was a bit irritated by this complaint, as I felt that if they had wanted to play through, they should have approached us rather than hanging back as they had done. I would have gladly let them play through earlier if they had caught up to us at a tee, but I wasn't about to run back from the basket to the previous tee to suggest it. Was I wrong? Am I missing something? Thanks.

You should wait for them at the next tee if you notice they're catching you. They would have to play ridiculously fast or you would have to play ridiculously slow for them to finish an entire hole before 2 people tee off.

Around here it's common courtesy to offer smaller groups, singles or faster groups to play through. However, you couldn't have known they wanted to play through. You don't have psychic powers, how were you suppose to know? Especially if they didn't ask you earlier. In my opinion, you were in the clear. You didn't ask, they didn't ask. You were nice about it however where they were not.

You should wait for them at the next tee if you notice they're catching you. They would have to play ridiculously fast or you would have to play ridiculously slow for them to finish an entire hole before 2 people tee off.

Thank you four response. Please define "catching".

How about instead of psychic powers or assumtion of a universally known etiquette code, either the group in front or in back could emply the awesome power of speech?

Sorry if that sounded uppity, but it just strikes me as odd that such a option should not occur to everyone. It's good to know the etiquette but does that mean that people shouldn't communicate, but rather silently rely on said eitiquette? The situation could have been resolved much earlier had someone just spoken up.

I also often let the people creeping up to me play through during the hole I'm on. I may have teed off and if I see them stepping up to the tee I can yell "You guys wanna play through, just tee off, I'll spot you from here!" There's no danger to me, as I'll watch their shots all the way, and I let them hole out before I take my next shot.

I don't know if that's against the etiquette, but it saves time and so far nobody has complained.

Pretty much if anyone has to wait at the tee for me to finish a hole, I let them play through before I tee off on the next hole.