• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

about discs breaking down. yeah it's no fun to watch TP Cyclones shatter against trees during the winter.

Why do some people put their unused discs in zip-lock bags? Does the plastic dry out over time and become brittle? Or is this just to protect the stamp?

I think it is a habit that collectors have. Anyone who collects magazines or comics does this, and also uses an acid free backer. It may not be needed for most discs, but I've noticed that some plastics, like star, can dry out, shrink, and harden over time. I expect it might be useful in preserving gumminess of gummy champ or SE.

Even a drinking glass will eventually deform into a puddle over time.

I know there's different types of throws like a hyzer,anhyzer and rollers
I hear other types as well... I can't name them but what else is there and how do you dk them and when to use them?

Are there visual characteristics that would let you know if a disc is stable or understable? If i found a disc with no markings on it, how would i know? Dome? Bead? Thanks.

Post a profile pic for us to look at and we may be able to tell you what it is. But to answer your question, parting line height is more of a accurate measurement of stability. Higher the PLH is on said disc, the more stable it will be.

Are there visual characteristics that would let you know if a disc is stable or understable? If i found a disc with no markings on it, how would i know? Dome? Bead? Thanks.

Post a profile pic for us to look at and we may be able to tell you what it is. But to answer your question, parting line height is more of a accurate measurement of stability. Higher the PLH is on said disc, the more stable it will be.

Yeah, that's the best indicator. Dome is tricky and varies a bit by mold. I think a decent general rule is that flat on a driver = overstable whereas dome on a mid/putter usually = overstable/stable. A bead adds drag so usually that means more LSS.

If a disc looks thrashed it's probably more understable than it used to be and knowing the EX vs EL wing difference is also a decent indicator, i.e. if the wing is flat like an EL, TL, etc it's usually towards the understable side but if has some concaveness to it like an Eagle-X or Teebird, etc, it's towards the more stable/overstable side.

I hear other types as well... I can't name them but what else is there and how do you dk them and when to use them?

I'm going to be describing these shots as RHBH(Right Hand Backhand) unless otherwise stated.

Hyzer: A shot that is released so that the disc will fade left.
Anhyzer(commonly called an "anny"): A shot that is released so that the shot will turn right.
Roller: A disc that is released with an exaggerated anhyzer so that it hits the ground from 45 degrees-almost vertical and rolls for distance.
HyzerFlip: A shot thrown with Hyzer(see above) with a moderatly understable to understable disc that will flip to flat and fly straight.

If you have any other questions about different shots, just ask :):hfive:

Hyzer and anhyzer are really just angles of release more than anything. Hyzers have the outer edge (away from you) pointed down towards the ground and anhyzers have the outer edge pointed up toward the sky. Shots called hyzers generally finish with a fade and anhyzers finish to the right (turn the whole way).

I make the distinction from Chuckin'Putters definitions because you can throw a disc with hyzer that finishes to the right, which is a hyzer flip into a turnover (or simply called a turnover). Likewise, a disc can be thrown with anhyzer and finish left with fade (a flex shot or helix). A 'proper' anny will start out anhyzer and finish anhyzer.

There are also the tomahawk that is thrown with a forehand grip that is thrown over your head and takes an s pattern that starts moving from the left to right (for right hand) and then as it flattens it will finish right to left.

Then there is the similar thumber that is thrown with your thumb on the rim. It would have the opposite flight path as the tomahawk for the same throwing hand.

There are all kind of different rollers and I'm not very keen and their distinctive names as I'm just starting to learn to throw them.

Is there any type of handicap system when playing Disc Golf? Seems like there should be. Just like ball golf.

Yes there is. In the Pittsburgh region we have a weekly league that runs on a handicap system so anyone could win any give week as long as they shoot better than their handicap

I use easy scorecard on my android phone and it figures handicaps for me and the wife. Just needs 3 full rounds to generate the starting handicap then uses the latest 10 rounds after that.

Latest posts