• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I played in the intermed once. And both cards were kind of cut throat. It surprised me how it was like that on lesser brackets.

I have played almost all of the tournaments I have played in intermediate in a number of different states, both sanctioned and non-sanctioned and I didn't get this feeling at all. Every single tournament it almost seemed like I was out playing a casual round with my buddies by about the middle of the round.

i miss frankie D

He did a great service in starting and keeping this thread going for a while. If you go back and read the first several pages, you will see even the people who trolled the thread early got into the spirit of helping us noobs out with our dumb questions. That the thread is still going is a credit to how helpful the DG community in general is.

Valkyrie question. I started playing about a year ago and have researched a bunch on throwing techniques and feel I have come a long way with throwing. Yesterday I duced a 375' hole on my local course (great drive and lotta luck behind that putt). I throw RHBH and I can never get any action out of my Valkyries. I have three different weights (156, 167, and 174) all champion plastic. They are always like stable lazer beams out of my hand, straight in flight with very very little fade at the end. What the heck is up? I want to figure out how to get that "S" curve out of this thing that I have seen nearly everyone else I know who throws them get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you throwing them with hyzer? If so, just adjust your release point to a little flatter. The Valk is built to have some turn in it. With that said though, I have thrown a Valk that was nearly destroyer stable before.

Valkyrie question. I started playing about a year ago and have researched a bunch on throwing techniques and feel I have come a long way with throwing. Yesterday I duced a 375' hole on my local course (great drive and lotta luck behind that putt). I throw RHBH and I can never get any action out of my Valkyries. I have three different weights (156, 167, and 174) all champion plastic. They are always like stable lazer beams out of my hand, straight in flight with very very little fade at the end. What the heck is up? I want to figure out how to get that "S" curve out of this thing that I have seen nearly everyone else I know who throws them get.

In my development, I had a similar question with my Roadrunner (Valks did always turn for me - or at least when thrown on an anyhzer their nature became fairly clear).

I used it as my straight-ahead driver for a good long time. And, I was very slow to appreciate how much it _did_ turn even when it finished straight. I had to throw it on wooded holes, comparing it to a Buzz or an Aviar, to really appreciate the difference. They may wind up on about the same line, from teepad to basket, but they took _very_ different paths to get there!

That said, it sounds like you are aware of the flight paths - so this may not be at all relevant to your experience.

(And, the whole other story is what's happened to my Roadrunner recently - which just seems to turnover like nobody's business. I suspect bad form has crept in over the winter. I may need to wait until things thaw a bit and I can straighten out some my-hand-is-frozen grip issues.)

Are you throwing them with hyzer? If so, just adjust your release point to a little flatter. The Valk is built to have some turn in it. With that said though, I have thrown a Valk that was nearly destroyer stable before.

Not sure what is going on, I have field tested all three a bit and have tried varying releases but never get much from them. I would guess it would have to be me, as all three discs can't be overstable... can they?

I'll try to field test them next time I am out, but I am still not sure what to adjust, as this is the only disc I have any issues with. I also throw destroyers, teebirds, roadrunners, super super domey rocs, flat top buzzzes, wizzards and yeti pro aviars.

Not sure what is going on, I have field tested all three a bit and have tried varying releases but never get much from them. I would guess it would have to be me, as all three discs can't be overstable... can they?

I'll try to field test them next time I am out, but I am still not sure what to adjust, as this is the only disc I have any issues with. I also throw destroyers, teebirds, roadrunners, super super domey rocs, flat top buzzzes, wizzards and yeti pro aviars.
If you're not sure, check the parting line hight. Valks with a high PLH can be like speed 9 teebirds. Also Iv'e noticed that Valks with dome tend to be more stable too.

If you're not sure, check the parting line hight. Valks with a high PLH can be like speed 9 teebirds. Also Iv'e noticed that Valks with dome tend to be more stable too.

Yeah, that makes sense, I'll check out the dome. Spot on with the speed 9 teebirds comment, that is exactly what they look like in flight for me.

Thanks for the help!

Try a Champ Beast instead.

You can try a beast/orc/flash or surge/wraith. They will have a lil more turn and fade.

The other thing might be that youre throwin low lines. Playing around with height and hyzer might help.

What does a "plus mold" on an Innova mean? Is it a certain change to the mold that's universal to all "plus molds." Or is it just a certain character change to each different mold?

That's odd, because I've thrown a lot of Valks in different plastics (DX, Pro, Champ), and weights between 166 and 172, and they are along with the Buzzz, the discs i can predict and rely upon their fade.

What does a "plus mold" on an Innova mean? Is it a certain change to the mold that's universal to all "plus molds." Or is it just a certain character change to each different mold?

Yes it is universal to all plus molds in that the rims slant slightly outward rather than straight down. It makes it easier to release, but a lot of people don't like that if they are very experienced and grip hard. It might slip out earlier and not have the feel of the original mold. I don't know what it does to change the flight characteristics or stablilty.

If you've thrown Latitude plastic, you know the slant.
</ \> as apposed to <l l>

Latest posts