• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Question about Rule 801.02F. Does it matter where on the disc you place your mark? on the top? inside rim? underneath? I name and number my discs on the inside rim. thanks.

Question about Rule 801.02F. Does it matter where on the disc you place your mark? on the top? inside rim? underneath? I name and number my discs on the inside rim. thanks.

Not to my knowledge. I've seen players just initial the disc or just put their PDGA #. As long as mark the disc with something that doesn't add any detectable thickness, i.e. no stickers or paint, you're good to go.

Wait. I'm new, but I throw a Blizzard Ape furthest...is this wrong?

You might have to come up with a personal definition of wrong. ;)

The Blizzard discs were designed to mold the faster, wider rimmed drivers in lower weights. Lighter discs, especially drivers, are great for new players, players with low snap/arm speed, and/or older players looking for distance without throwing as hard.

The Ape is a very fast and overstable disc. I don't know how a Blizzard Ape is but the only thing you could be doing that can be interpreted as wrong is if the only way you can get your Ape to go far/straight is if you have to throw it on a big flex shot/S-curve/helix, etc. That means the disc is too overstable for you (for general throwing, overstable "meathooks" do have their uses on the course) and may be reinforcing bad form that might make it difficult to throw other slower and/or less overstable discs.

In terms of grammar, it would be more appropriate to say farthest instead of furthest but your question is still technically okay. :D

Hmm. I see. Now another question.

I can throw my DX TeeBird almost as far with much greater accuracy. What long distance driver would you suggest I try out?

Hmm. I see. Now another question.

I can throw my DX TeeBird almost as far with much greater accuracy. What long distance driver would you suggest I try out?

"How far are you throwing this Teebird with regularity?" is the million dollar question. Teebirds (and most any driver) are capable of going pretty far, like 400'+ when given enough height. The faster the driver, i.e. the wider the rim, the easier to throw on lower lines. But the faster drivers require better form and arm speed b/c they tend to be more nose angle sensitive so the vast majority of disc golfers are better off with slower distance drivers they can get up to speed than fast ones.

Generally, if you are getting the Teebird out to ~250-300', I'd work with it to see if you can push it out a bit farther before going up. The speed 9-10 drivers like the Valkyrie, Orc, PD, River etc are great distance drivers to move up to, capable of 350' for most and possibly 400' for the bombers. And so on.

The trick is finding your cut-off point where the drivers are decidedly too fast for you, i.e. really erratic throws with the disc fading too much too soon usually. Take all your drivers out to a field and see if your Teebird or other fairway/slower drivers are that much shorter than your faster drivers. If not, your distance drivers aren't that necessary or too fast. But if you have a driver that routinely gives you an extra 15-25' sometimes it's useful to bag for wide open holes where accuracy isn't as important.

Whats the love with Sweedish Plastic?

I just threw my first Lat 64 (Flow) and it felt beautiful coming out. Picked up a gold line online today. It felt very stable and I got good rips, it even seemed to hide my OAT problems. Is this why people seem to be trending toward the Sweeds? Is is just that simple?

Whats the love with Sweedish Plastic?

I just threw my first Lat 64 (Flow) and it felt beautiful coming out. Picked up a gold line online today. It felt very stable and I got good rips, it even seemed to hide my OAT problems. Is this why people seem to be trending toward the Sweeds? Is is just that simple?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Not to mention the company's consistency, the awesome GL colors, discs that rock, etc., etc.

Okay. Time to just throw it out there. I just got back from an open football field, and I threw for a good hour, and I took y'all's advice and contrary to what I wanted...left my blizzard ape and destroyer in my bag.
I threw a:
DX Wolf
x2 DX Wraith
Pro Hydra
Z Xpress
Wham-O Fairway
DX TeeBird
Star Lycan
S Karma
Champion Roc3
Elite X Avenger

I found out that I CAN'T throw a Roc. Literally. At all
Also, I was most accurate and was throwing around 60yds consistently with my Hydra.
I couldn't throw my DX Wraiths more than 60yds and they had such a heavy hyzer that I wanted to burn them
I threw my Avenger and Xpress decently
I threw my TeeBird about 75-80yds everytime
I threw my Fairway about 85yds everytime
I had good accuracy with my wolf, Lycan, and karma

Can someone help me with what this means.. Am I trying to throw discs above my "pay grade" or what? I'm very frustrated. I took out my steps and just focused on my RHBH form, but I still feel like I can't throw worth a darn.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the lengthy comment. Hehe

Yep, stick with the Teebird as your main driver and don't bother with faster stuff yet. The only thing the faster discs will do right now is frustrate you.

In the long run I would prefer a very simple bag. Possibly only 1-2 Driver molds in duplications of course in different degrees of wear, 1 Fairway and 1-2 Midrange similar to my drivers, multiple discs in different stages of wear and preferably one putter mold for Putting, Long/short/ Approaches ( guessing they would have to be in different weights, or degree's of wear as well to hit all marks)

My Main question, has this ever been discussed on potential tips/suggestions on making this happen? Or is this one of those things where you need to really put your time in, find the disc/discs that work for you and can easily manipulate the flight... right now for only playing for my ongoing 3rd year my bag seems a little intimidating. 7 driver molds, 3 midrange and only 1 putter mold but 3 at 173g and 2 at 175g.

Thanks for any assistance, I thought this would be the place to post my Noobie question ;) :doh::gross:

Yep, stick with the Teebird as your main driver and don't bother with faster stuff yet. The only thing the faster discs will do right now is frustrate you.

well agreed, I am no pro but I am just starting to handle more high speed drivers well enough and it has taken 2 years of form tweaking and loads of winter stand still practice here in MN to correct many flaws. :popcorn:

I found out that I CAN'T throw a Roc. Literally. At all
Also, I was most accurate and was throwing around 60yds consistently with my Hydra.
I couldn't throw my DX Wraiths more than 60yds and they had such a heavy hyzer that I wanted to burn them
I threw my Avenger and Xpress decently
I threw my TeeBird about 75-80yds everytime
I threw my Fairway about 85yds everytime
I had good accuracy with my wolf, Lycan, and karma

Can someone help me with what this means.. Am I trying to throw discs above my "pay grade" or what? I'm very frustrated. I took out my steps and just focused on my RHBH form, but I still feel like I can't throw worth a darn.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the lengthy comment. Hehe
Sounds like you have the classic beginner flaw of nose up in your throw (stalling out and fading left) and you might not be getting anything faster than the mids up to much speed.

Check this out first to make sure your grip is correct. After that, peruse the Technique Sticky for more form related goodies. I would drop the Wolf immediately, it's a terrible disc (I don't say that about many discs). What's the Roc doing? Wobbling a lot or anything? But yeah, stick to the Teebird, Lycan and Karma for now.
In the long run I would prefer a very simple bag. Possibly only 1-2 Driver molds in duplications of course in different degrees of wear, 1 Fairway and 1-2 Midrange similar to my drivers, multiple discs in different stages of wear and preferably one putter mold for Putting, Long/short/ Approaches ( guessing they would have to be in different weights, or degree's of wear as well to hit all marks)

My Main question, has this ever been discussed on potential tips/suggestions on making this happen? Or is this one of those things where you need to really put your time in, find the disc/discs that work for you and can easily manipulate the flight... right now for only playing for my ongoing 3rd year my bag seems a little intimidating. 7 driver molds, 3 midrange and only 1 putter mold but 3 at 173g and 2 at 175g.

Thanks for any assistance, I thought this would be the place to post my Noobie question ;) :doh::gross:

Oh god yes it's been discussed. Start here: Garublador's How to Build a Bag. What you're describing is known in our parlance as "mold minimalism." Related topics: "discing down" and "cycling." Search using those terms and you'll bring up a lot. If you want to weed through a lot of chaff, look that stuff up on discgolfreview.com/forums/.

How to Build a Bag. What you're describing is known in our parlance as "mold minimalism." Related topics: "discing down" and "cycling." Search using those terms and you'll bring up a lot. If you want to weed through a lot of chaff, look that stuff up on discgolfreview.com/forums/.[/QUOTE]
Thank You good sir!

Gummy Star Aviars

I figured I would post this here before creating a thread. Chances are I just haven't handled enough Star Aviars.
I got an F2 Star Aviar that is gummy as hell(more gummy than my GMD1 from the proshop). Did they do a special run of these or is it just a fluke? I don't seem to recall stock Star Aviars being this gummy.

Also, there is a hair in the plastic lol