• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Presumably, I have figured it out in the past 8 years...
Lulz, thanks tho

So what is the easiest way to post images Now?

Now that vgy needs a password and username for it I was looking for another way to do it

If you want to improve your grip in cold weather.. Store your discs inside overnight if you don't already.. It seems to help. No I don't have any sciencey reasons why.

FWIW- This makes sense for cold days provided there's no snow on the ground.

Powdery snow sticks to a warm (i.e. above freezing) disc like oatmeal on the side of a bowl. You'll be wiping every single shot that doesn't land in the basket... until the air chills your discs to freezing.

For snowy conditions: leave your bag locked in your car overnight so discs drop to the ambient temp. Then snow doesn't stick.

As far grip is concerned, avoid using Champ/ Z type plastic in the cold. Other plastics seem to provide better cold grip, especially G* and FLX.

And if the snow is more than an inch or two, I highly suggest ribbons if you don't want to lose discs.

Ok, OS/stable/US. I guess my mind is different. Since for RHBH overstable goes left and understable goes right, wouldn't it stand to reason that stable just means neutral? I hear people say "that will be more stable" To me stable = neutral. To say it is more stable I think it is more neutral. But I guess people are using more as in it is more than stable (overstable). Is it just common to say "more stable" when referring to overstable?

Ok, OS/stable/US. I guess my mind is different. Since for RHBH overstable goes left and understable goes right, wouldn't it stand to reason that stable just means neutral? I hear people say "that will be more stable" To me stable = neutral. To say it is more stable I think it is more neutral. But I guess people are using more as in it is more than stable (overstable). Is it just common to say "more stable" when referring to overstable?

I think people are using "more stable" instead of saying "overstable", which I don't like because it doesn't make sense. "More stable" should mean that it's flying closer to neutral compared to another disc.

I am trying to use "overstable", "neutral", and "understable" to describe flights.

I think people are using "more stable" instead of saying "overstable", which I don't like because it doesn't make sense. "More stable" should mean that it's flying closer to neutral compared to another disc.

I am trying to use "overstable", "neutral", and "understable" to describe flights.

You might want to check out the thread. The problem is, people have different interpretations as to what the terms mean and how they should be used. Keep in mind, they don't belong exclusively to disc golf, Ultimate players also use them to describe disc flights. It helps to understand how they were defined to begin with.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135752

Suggest you read the entire thread, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
How do you aim?

Okay I've been playing for 4 months now and I'm doing fine, but I wonder if there is a more specific way that other people aim their throws.

I base the aim of my drives off of my lead foot. I know that if I approach square to the tee and plant in the upper left corner, I will throw straight, given a hypothetically consistent release.

But for standstill shots, I don't aim at all, except for being generally oriented toward the basket, with my feet staggered so that my aiming line runs roughly from my back toe to my front heel. I just sort of feel how I'm aligned and set a focus on the target in my mind, and let the aiming software in my brain work in the background.

What do you guys do?

How do you aim?

Okay I've been playing for 4 months now and I'm doing fine, but I wonder if there is a more specific way that other people aim their throws.

I base the aim of my drives off of my lead foot. I know that if I approach square to the tee and plant in the upper left corner, I will throw straight, given a hypothetically consistent release.

But for standstill shots, I don't aim at all, except for being generally oriented toward the basket, with my feet staggered so that my aiming line runs roughly from my back toe to my front heel. I just sort of feel how I'm aligned and set a focus on the target in my mind, and let the aiming software in my brain work in the background.

What do you guys do?

I have been playing for over a year and a half and still don't know the answer! :D

From my understanding and I just checked watching my form... your aim is basically over your the ball of your lead foot. This is taking into account that you have a compact and "straight" pull in front of your chest and aren't rounding.

If you plant in the upper left corner of the tee pad in your example, you are throwing straight along the left side of the tee pad. ;)

The staggering of the feet, based on my what I think I understand, should help shift your weight from the toes of the x step to the heel of the plant step. This is for an x-step run-up. For a standstill throw, I normally keep my feet inline as I don't step into my throw for fear hitting my marker.

How do you aim?

What do you guys do?
It's not so much about aiming per se as it is timing your hit to occur inline with the direction you want the disc to go. Most new players and hordes of recreational players struggle with aiming for a long time b/c their hit is very inconsistent or nonexistent (usually from rounding and strong-arming). When a player learns how to hit (mechanics force the disc out of your hand instead of consciously releasing) it dramatically reduces the amount of "spray" your throws have. Your spray pattern will narrow more and more the better you time your hit to occur when you want it.

For example, lately I've been grip locking a bit and it's b/c I'm not closing my hips enough. This is delaying my hit just enough to cause late releases.

As a beginner, started playing in Sept/Oct. 2019 should I still be using lower weight discs?

I have some mids that are around 165 and some that are at 175. All my drivers are in the 165 to 168 range and putters are 175g.

Will throwing the 175g mids hurt my form compared to lighter ones?
Will I notice a big difference in distance compared between the lighter and heavier discs?

I know a lot of people will say it depends on the disc, so for reference we can use the 175g ESP Buzzz and 170g ESP Buzzz.
I believe I'm in the correct range for driver weight.

Last edited:
Playing for just over 1.5 years, I always went for the 173-175g range [hoping for 175]. I figured that they are going to lose a gram or so being chewed up. Heavier discs aren't affected by winds that much. If all of my discs are basically the same weight, I don't have to take weight into consideration. The more I play, the farther I will learn to throw.

The weight really won't affect your form, but it might affect how you throw it as you get better. Lighter discs will fly faster by default and are more likely to turn in their flight. Since I have only thrown one disc that was much lighter, take my advice with a grain of salt. I don't think 5 grams would be that much of a difference, especially for a midrange [Buzzz] or lower because their weight is distributed more evenly along the disc. Drivers have more weight on the outside and maybe 5 grams might make a little more difference, but I doubt by that much.

You can check out this video by Danny Lindahl to see if he can shed some light on the subject [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjiR6TDNtI].

As a beginner, started playing in Sept/Oct. 2019 should I still be using lower weight discs?

I like my putters and mids heavy (170+) or max weight because the weight seems to help with consistency (accuracy) for me. However I'm a noodle arm and run my drivers on the lighter side (160-165) so that I can get them up to speed easier.

I don't think throwing heavy mids/putters will hurt your form at all.

I like my putters and mids heavy (170+) or max weight because the weight seems to help with consistency (accuracy) for me. However I'm a noodle arm and run my drivers on the lighter side (160-165) so that I can get them up to speed easier.

I don't think throwing heavy mids/putters will hurt your form at all.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up ordering another lower weight Buzzz to see if that helps with the premium plastic stability. Currently have an X line 170 and an ESP 175 so that might be part of reason why I feel like the disc isn't working for me.

Same here. Now that I'm in my late forties, drivers above about 172 are difficult for me to throw hard. 173+ act more overstable than they're supposed to be for me. I like 165-168 (and I have a Starlite Sidewinder at 150 I love too) unless there's a decent headwind, then 170-172 is where I like to be.

On the other hand, I do better with touch shot Discs when they're max weight. I can "feel" them better. Lightweight putters and mids for some reason are more difficult to find that "sweet spot" as point and release them. This is 200' on in. I'm deadly at that range with a 2001-era Champ Stingray I have that weighs 177. Best all-around Disc I've ever owned.

Yes, I'm way better at the short game compared to throwing drives. 300-325' is the best I can get out of a PFN 168 Star Beast with 12 years of wear (and also that Starlite Sidewinder), unless I get a good roller to stand up with a 166 DX Sidewinder. Some (but not enough) of those can get past 350'.

(That wasn't the case 20 years ago when I had a good forehand and preferred max weight Banshees and X-Clones that had hit 2 or 3 trees for hyzer-flips. I'd love to have my 1998 body back!!)

Latest posts