• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I just had a really old school Aviar crack (I just got it from biscoe last week :(). Is it a combination of the cold and the age of the plastic that makes it more brittle than new plastic or is it a function of the age of the disc? Related question: what is it that causes older discs to become brittle/weaker? TIA.

It would be a combination of both the cold and age of the disc. Also older discs seem to have a higher chance of having bubbles in them (probably because the molding process wasn't as refined and you can't see internal bubbles in DX or KC plastic) and all the older discs I've had crack have been on a line that had a bubble in it.

Stress, use and age make older discs weaker and brittle. The plastic they are made from is not meant to last a super long time. Sun exposure, bouncing into trees and rocks, heating and cooling, those are the things that will make your disc break.

p.s. I have no old school wizards in the bag from nov-mar usually b/c of the cold.

I was looking into buying a comet, but I have seen recently in the marketplace that certain types are more desirable. What plastic and weight is the most sought out?

ESP Comets are OOP. If you're thinking about buying a Comet, go with a Z Comet because they're readily available and can withstand some damage while maintaining their original flight characteristics. Maybe if you fall in love with the Comet, consider stocking up on the rare plastic, but just to kick the tires, stick with something more common.

I just had a really old school Aviar crack (I just got it from biscoe last week :(). Is it a combination of the cold and the age of the plastic that makes it more brittle than new plastic or is it a function of the age of the disc? Related question: what is it that causes older discs to become brittle/weaker? TIA.

cold and age for sure... back in the 90's i saw someone break a newish cyclone in half tapping it on their leg to get snow out of it. rim configuration also is a contributing factor- stingrays for instance were always extra fragile...

which one was it? (and what are you doing hitting trees with my old discs??:doh::p)

Last edited:
Maybe one of the Consultants could temporarily take this thread over until/if frankd comes back. Seems a shame for the thread to die. I think most of it has answered peoples' questions.

I may have to go meet him for a beer just so I can hear him say something mean about me. Anyone else need any insults? I could get a list from him.

Latest posts