• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I'd say in casual rounds you could tee from some close location. I do when the natural tees are muddy or feel dangerous to throw from... by dangerous I mean that the ruts could allow for spraining your ankles or etc...

In a PDGA event, the TD will have this all worked out for you and you will have to tee from the official teepad.... most likely they will put up small flags to mark the proper teepads and dropzones...

You have to throw from the designated tee box area. If the area is worn down from others teeing there, that is the tee box and you have to throw from there.

Someone should have the course maintainers mark the boxes with flags for clarity.

Is that per official rules or is that just DG Etiquette?

On a natural pad, you do have quite a bit of leeway going straight back from the tee as long as you stay between the outside edges of the tee extended back. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it's something like 5 meters.

Ive heard about discs needing to be beat in. How long does that take? How do you beat them in? I just keep throwing it. Also, do discs eventually go bad?

Some discs perform better beat in (see DX roc). Each disc takes a different time to beat in, there is no set time limit. Throwing it is a good way to beat them in.

Yes discs usually go "bad" (usually by getting too flippy) but will probably break before then.

Ive heard about discs needing to be beat in. How long does that take? How do you beat them in? I just keep throwing it. Also, do discs eventually go bad?

welcome to the forum!

it's not so much that discs NEED to break in as much as it is an inevitable occurrence. the time it takes to break in a disc depends on the plastic's durability (ie - DX will beat in faster than Champion).

how you beat them in: throw, throw, and throw! :)

yes, some discs, especially in base plastics (DX, Pro D, etc) eventually won't preform how you want them to. they'll become "flippy" and will fade to the right very quickly.

thrembos method for breaking in discs: Play a course with alot of trees on it!

Overhand shots break discs in pretty quickly too, though they also break in your body faster so you probably don't want to go throw a couple hundred of them.

Latest posts