• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

So this begs the question, what would be a good understable fairway driver out of the box?

I would also say X XL, or maybe a star stingray. Most people call it a mid but to me it is a super slow fairway driver, because of its speed.

During a discs "lifetime", does it tend to become more stable, overstable or understable?

I understand that a disc needs to be "broken in" in order to fly somewhat like the description, but what happens *after* that? does it become more stable as it gets beat up?

During a discs "lifetime", does it tend to become more stable, overstable or understable?

I understand that a disc needs to be "broken in" in order to fly somewhat like the description, but what happens *after* that? does it become more stable as it gets beat up?

The more times you hit a tree, the less stable (more flippy) the disc gets.

A disc is most overstable when new, then beats in eventually to understable and it's last stage of life is flippy POS. So, overstable-stable-understable-flippy POS.

hmm does less stable (more flippy) mean understable or overstable, or does it mean neither of those? (apologies for not knowing, but this is the newbie thread, right? :))

@Brother dave, ah so "flippy" is neither understable or overstable - does "flippy" mean it just flips somewhat vertically and flies like a POS?

hmm does less stable (more flippy) mean understable or overstable, or does it mean neither of those? (apologies for not knowing, but this is the newbie thread, right? :))

This is a giant semantics argument in DG land born from the pseudo-scientific nature of the label of disc stability.

Stable = straight.
Understable = flippy.
Overstable = beefy/meathook/fades hard.

Often, it is common to see someone say "less stable" or "more stable" and what they mean is "more understable" and "more overstable," respectively.

@Brother Dave, thanks for the explanation! I'm trying to figure out of a Beast I've been throwing is a flippy POS yet or if I'm just poorly throwing it now.

you guys aren't utilitarian enough. the last stage of a discs playing life is ROLLER. rolling discs is soooooo much fun!!!!

@Brother dave, ah so "flippy" is neither understable or overstable - does "flippy" mean it just flips somewhat vertically and flies like a POS?

Flippy is just an adjective used to describe an understable disc. One man's flippy is another man's merely understable or even stable, it's all relative to the thrower and his form/arm speed/etc. A flippy disc is a disc that can be thrown fast enough to where it loses it's high speed stability or HSS (i.e. turns over) and flies to the right (for RHBH (right hand, backhand)), possibly never coming back left or fading, depending on it's low speed stability (LSS).

Even a really flippy disc can have its uses: Rollers, finesse/low-power/standstill shots, extreme hyzer-flips, to name a few.

Also, be aware that a disc can seem more flippy/understable than it really is, thanks to OAT (Off Axis Torque). OAT has caused many a disc golfer to think that his disc is a flippy POS when in reality it's just about perfect for a dg'er with smooth form, who promptly snatch up these gems in the used bin at your local Play it Again Sports.

@Frank - Well its a 168g DX, hit quite a few trees with it. I can only throw it about 220-230' on a good day (Yes, I've recently learned that I should be throwing slower discs, I've been really digging my 175 DX leopard which i found i can throw about the same distance, with less effort)

I should also note that I have a new 170g DX beast,which I can throw about the same distance and it doesnt go off to the left (LHBH). When I mean "go off to the left" i mean it leave my hand to the left, and also seems to hook to the left, and not fall to the right naturally (again, LHBH, not RHBH)

I haven't seen a leopard stamped like the one I just bought. Whats the deal with this disc?

picture.php

That's called a bar stamp. It's an older style stamp.

@Shyamrox: is the flight plate warped? are there chunks missing from the rim? <250 with any double digit speed driver should not produce a flight that resembles understable. you need to closet all drivers until you can throw your putters 250+.

@Frank - Well its a 168g DX, hit quite a few trees with it. I can only throw it about 220-230' on a good day (Yes, I've recently learned that I should be throwing slower discs, I've been really digging my 175 DX leopard which i found i can throw about the same distance, with less effort)

It's probably really just beat up if you have a newer 170 you aren't flipping over.

@keltik actually there is one spot on the rim which is in somewhat bad shape (small chunk missing) from hitting a tree - i dont know if this would cause it?

Not sure if this has been asked but does the color of a disc have to do with its flight as in if its a white disc will it be more overstable than say an orange disc?

Latest posts