• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Needing some help and info. Here in KS it has been super windy as of late, like the last 3 months, and I need a disc that I can get decent distance with into the head wind.
This is what I have in the bag:
Teebird, Vision, Sidewinder, Avenger, and Banshee.
The Avenger is a great utility disc for me, Tomahawks and just recently a good disc for me for a short sidearm shot. I can't get much distance with it when there is no wind and it works good fighting the wind but again I just can't get much distance with this disc. The Banshee feels better to me, because of the smaller rim, but I can throw my teebirds about 30-50 foot farther. I have tried a Firebird, again no distance and a big meat hook for me. What else would be a good choice? I am not interested in anything over a speed 9 and 10 would be pushing it. I know the Avenger is, what an 11?
Another question I have is are the Yeti Pro Avairs the same flight wise as the R Pro Aviar. I love my R Pro Aviars, but again in the wind they are just all over the place. I was curious as if the stiffer plastic of the Yetis would be better at battling the wind, or would they just be all over the place too.
Ok one more question, what is the speed of a Surge SS and is it understable?
Thanks in advance

I'm really a noob, but have been getting good success with my MVP Volt in the wind...
Hopefully you'll get some more experienced folks responding. Good question!:thmbup:

Last edited:
Needing some help and info. Here in KS it has been super windy as of late, like the last 3 months, and I need a disc that I can get decent distance with into the head wind.
The Avenger is a great utility disc for me, Tomahawks and just recently a good disc for me for a short sidearm shot. I can't get much distance with it when there is no wind and it works good fighting the wind but again I just can't get much distance with this disc. The Banshee feels better to me, because of the smaller rim, but I can throw my teebirds about 30-50 foot farther. I have tried a Firebird, again no distance and a big meat hook for me. What else would be a good choice? I am not interested in anything over a speed 9 and 10 would be pushing it. I know the Avenger is, what an 11?
Another question I have is are the Yeti Pro Avairs the same flight wise as the R Pro Aviar. I love my R Pro Aviars, but again in the wind they are just all over the place. I was curious as if the stiffer plastic of the Yetis would be better at battling the wind, or would they just be all over the place too.
Thanks in advance

Try a max weight champ eagle. I can't say on the avairs I have never thrown one.

Surge SS: 10 5 -1 2

So would this be about the same as a beast? I threw it on an west to east hole with a stiff north wind, 15+ and was really pleased. However when thrown into the wind today, on 3 different holes, it acted very under stable. Does this seem about right?

what weights are you throwing? i would try a 150 or low 160's champ firebird. you are probably throwing drivers that are too heavy for you. common noob mistake.

yeti aviar and regular aviar are very different. yeti has a good size bead and will have less turn/more fade. closer to a jk or kc aviar. the regular aviar has no bead.

Thanks in advance

I'm not that experienced, but it sounds like between the teebird and the firebird, you have some good wind fighters. That being said, I have had some good luck with the Cyclone in the wind. I have had some very nice shots with it directly into headwinds. It's a nice, smooth disc wind or not, whatever the case. Good luck in finding something that works for you! :thmbup:

Say, is it legal to put stickers on your discs? My sister and I have some identical discs, and she put stickers on hers to more easily distinguish them when we play together. They actually look really cool, but I was wondering if it's cool to do that, PDGA rule-wise. Anybody? ':)

Say, is it legal to put stickers on your discs? My sister and I have some identical discs, and she put stickers on hers to more easily distinguish them when we play together. They actually look really cool, but I was wondering if it's cool to do that, PDGA rule-wise. Anybody? ':)

Illegal, you cannot add anything to the disc except ink nothing with a thickness ie... stickers or paint

Illegal, you cannot add anything to the disc except ink nothing with a thickness ie... stickers or paint

No stickers make the disc illegal for tournament play

Thanks guys. Have to admit, I think this is kinda silly considering that foil stamps are not perfectly flat. And some discs, like Vibram, have actual molded logos on the top side of the discs. ::shrugs:: What can you do. :rolleyes:

Hot stamps and Vibram's logo are all part of the production process and therefore legal. Your sister can go nuts with a Sharpie if she wants though.

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

Last edited:
if you're not playing tournaments, then don't sweat it.

If you're not playing in any sort of competitive event, including leagues, then don't sweat it.

Nobody wants a cheat. Even if the player's intentions are not to gain an advantage by altering the disc, it can be perceived that way by others.

Edit: I'm not specifically talking about the OP...just in general.

yeti aviar and regular aviar are very different. yeti has a good size bead and will have less turn/more fade. closer to a jk or kc aviar. the regular aviar has no bead.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Well I saw that they had the same flight numbers printed on the front and was curious. What about a star Aviar? Would that have the Same flight characteristics as my r pro Aviar?

As to what weights of drivers I have thrown, the banshee that I have is a 175g and the firebird that I tried was like 172g. Both of them are discs that I have found. I don't want to sink a ton of money into drivers that won't work that's why I have been experimenting with these two over stables that I have found.
What if I tried a lighter weight avenger? Mine is 171g, perhaps a 16? Would help me get a little more distance?
This overstable disc thing is kinda new to me. For the first year and a half I didn't really have a need for an overstable driver. I play at a course that surrounds a lake, the water is all on the left hand side, so throwing overstable when you have no control was just asking to lose plastic. Now that I've played different courses more and more I see the I need this in my arsenal. Just trying to pick the dg community's brain trust to see what the opinions are.
Thanks for the help everyone

You've got a couple of options:

• Get a max weight, champ or star Teebird. It should do fine in winds at your arm strength.
  • Get a max weight Eagle (any plastic). It's more overstable than a Teebird and will cut through the wind better, but will fade harder than a Teebird, so it will be shorter. I throw DX Teebirds in 170 and 150 and a DX Eagle in 150. The Teebirds are beat to straight and the Eagle is relatively fresh, but the Eagle can easily handle headwinds (thrown flat or slightly nose down) that my Teebirds can't.
  • Keep using that Banshee. It's a headwind driver, and it's likely shorter than your Teebird b/c it has more fade.
  • Try something like a Hornet, which is an overstable mid, albeit a fast overstable mid with lots of glide.

GLong's suggestion of light(er) Firebird is also good. It's my preferred headwind driver, 175 DX, and I max out for fairways at 275ish on flat ground .

Well I saw that they had the same flight numbers printed on the front and was curious.
Take flight numbers with a grain of salt. They'll tell you a little about how the disc is supposed to fly, but not a ton. I really like inFlight's guide, linked above in a prior post, and find that it does a good job at giving you an idea of how a disc should fly.

Make sure to check out How to Build a Bag and the required reading posts linked inside. The linked readings talk a lot about how to pick discs and what they are used for. For example, very overstable drivers aren't just used to make hard left turns or be thrown into headwinds. They are also meant for spike hyzers and similar shots.

Hot stamps and Vibram's logo are all part of the production process and therefore legal. Your sister can go nuts with a Sharpie if she wants though.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if stamps are legal because they are part of the production process, (even thought they do add thickness, and in a nonuniform way) and any variation from the original production is by definition illegal, then it would seem to me that more consistency should be required from the manufacturers (not that I'm advocating this :gross:). Some version of the same discs have different stamps. Full color stamps covering the entire top surface of the disc would (on a minute scale) change the disc's performance perhaps more perceivably than a small, well placed sticker might. What about X-outs? And how about custom dyes that remove the original stamp and replace it with a dyed image? These variations seem insignificant to me, and yet, if we're going to nit pick about a sticker or even a paint pen, then we might as well nit pick about these. :sick: When you think about it, manufacturers have a good bit of leeway in that, once they get a mold approved, they can make the disc in various plastics, weights and flexibility levels, all of which will change the flight characteristics to a degree. And we're supposed to worry about paint pens?! :wall:

Sharpies have proven to be a woefully disappointing solution because they have too great a tendency to wash off of certain plastics. Generally speaking, they tend to last reasonably well on premium plastics, but not so on basic plastics. So I have been looking for a good alternative to Sharpies. Unfortunately, many of the most promising solutions (such as enamel markers) seem to be disqualified based on the minute thickness that they might add, in most case to the underside of the flight plate, or the inside of the rim. Of course the amount of raised surface area would likely be less than that of the molded in manufacturer slogans, web site URLS, and PDGA approved status (irony! :). I'm not arguing the rules here, just pointing out that this seems, in my opinion, to be nitpicking on a ridiculous level. I mean, one good ding from hitting a tree is likely to cause more significant alteration to the flight characteristics of a disc than would the barely raised text from a paint marker. I appreciate your answers to my questions, I'm just expressing my disgust with what is, in my opinion, excessive restriction from the governing body.

if you're not playing tournaments, then don't sweat it.

If you're not playing in any sort of competitive event, including leagues, then don't sweat it.

Nobody wants a cheat. Even if the player's intentions are not to gain an advantage by altering the disc, it can be perceived that way by others.

Edit: I'm not specifically talking about the OP...just in general.

I have played some small tournaments, but discs were not inspected to control for any such alterations. May I ask at what level inspection is likely to take place, and what form it might take? Thank you.:popcorn: