• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Is my Proto Prodigy D2 legal for tournament play?
Should be as long it isn't overweight or too stiff. Google "pdga approved discs" to find the legal weight limit of that one. Drivers are usually around 175g I think.
So the goal of these bag tags are to swap them instead of playing to get the lowest number?
Yep, that's correct.

I have managed to scrape up my discs on trees/concrete/rocks what not.
How much scraping can a disc take till it's flight is affected?

Premium plastic can last a pretty long time before showing any major flight changes. Base line plastic like DX will start to show flight changes much quicker. If you were to throw a DX driver for max distance and hit a tree 10ft in front of you I imagine that disc is going to need a little love and care to get back to its old self.

If you were to throw a DX driver for max distance and hit a tree 10ft in front of you I imagine that disc is going to need a little love and care to get back to its old self.

I assume by love you mean sanding?

I threw a DX driver as far as I could and at the end it of the drive it hit a walking path and got scraped on the edge :doh:

I suppose its better not get attached to something that will eventually get scraped all to hell and/or lost.

Sanding and possibly some reshaping because of tacoing. If you are throwing a lot of DX drivers, in the woods especially, it is def. a good idea to keep some sandpaper in your bag so you aren't trying to throw saw blades.

Mid-ranges will normally last a good bit longer than drivers.

I have managed to scrape up my discs on trees/concrete/rocks what not.
How much scraping can a disc take till it's flight is affected?

All long as its not super light or a mold thats super flippy out of the box its nothing to worry about.
Dont be afraid to rub it on carpet or bend the crap out of it.

I have boxes of back ups but keep my beat up discs in the bag b/c theyre so moch more valuable to me. Some, like challengers have been in the bag for almost ten yrs. My cyclones usually last a couple years....and theyre still usefull, just for a different role (or roll).

Base plastic will usally fly farther and truer for new players and when beat will offer lines that no premium will fly any time soon.

Better plastic is literally more economical in the long run. Unless you lose a lot of plastic.

I have an aviar and a roc in the bag, that between them, are running 6+ years each. Both DX.

Drivers are a different story. Gouges and scrapes create more drag and resistance. Thus the more beat, the more flippy.

What does pearly mean in a disc description.. is it some sort of variation in the plastic.. aesthetic only?

What does pearly mean in a disc description.. is it some sort of variation in the plastic.. aesthetic only?

Basically you have your high end plastics which are clear like opto, champion etc.. Some discs will mold up either with a mix of plastics giving them a "pearly" look vs being translucent and clear. If you know what real pearls look like with different colors muted together its similar to that.

search "pearly' innova disc you will see many on google.

How much does throwing a disc in an open field affect stability? Especially compared to lets say, hitting a tree?

How much does throwing a disc in an open field affect stability? Especially compared to lets say, hitting a tree?

:confused:

Unless said "open field" is a parking lot, hitting the ground at the end of the discs flight shouldn't affect the stability for a very very long time.

Depends on how you're throwing. If you're throwing overhands and big spike hyzers into the ground it's going to break the disc in almost as fast as hitting a tree. Your usual backhand/forehand throws in a grassy field effects stability very little as long as the disc isn't repeatedly hitting the ground at a direct angle.