• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I've posted on a different site, but haven't gotten a response, maybe this is just a really bad question, I'm not sure.

So, since I started playing, I wanted to throw on a straight, flat line. Starting out I thought hyzer and anhyzer were types of throws one did to force the disc on a line, instead of relying on the hyzer line to be the go to line. I started playing the hyzer line now, pretty much giving up on throwing a flat line with my buzzz, I can nail a nice flat line with my putter out to about 200-250 feet, the buzzz still has some fade to it, which I'm guessing that's what it's actually supposed to be doing. Am I on the right track now? I started out just buying some recommended discs and playing, didn't read up much or watch many pro videos until recently to get more tips and such on flight path and I noticed many of the top guys throw on a hyzer line, or at least play the hyzer starting out.

I've posted on a different site, but haven't gotten a response, maybe this is just a really bad question, I'm not sure.

So, since I started playing, I wanted to throw on a straight, flat line. Starting out I thought hyzer and anhyzer were types of throws one did to force the disc on a line, instead of relying on the hyzer line to be the go to line. I started playing the hyzer line now, pretty much giving up on throwing a flat line with my buzzz, I can nail a nice flat line with my putter out to about 200-250 feet, the buzzz still has some fade to it, which I'm guessing that's what it's actually supposed to be doing. Am I on the right track now? I started out just buying some recommended discs and playing, didn't read up much or watch many pro videos until recently to get more tips and such on flight path and I noticed many of the top guys throw on a hyzer line, or at least play the hyzer starting out.
Most BH dominant guys throw with some sort of hyzer. It just gives your disc's flight an extra gear that you wouldn't necessarily get throwing flat or anny. It's also a lot easier to hyzer flip something to flat for a straight shot than throw something perfectly flat and not roll your wrist over. Extends the usefulness/line-shaping ability of a lot of understable discs.

That's not to say it's the end all be all, just one tool in the Swiss Army knife. Powering a really HSS (overstable) disc on a flat/anny release for a straight shot is really useful if you have early obstacles on the right you want to go left of as well as flex shots on winding tunnels.

Most BH dominant guys throw with some sort of hyzer. It just gives your disc's flight an extra gear that you wouldn't necessarily get throwing flat or anny. It's also a lot easier to hyzer flip something to flat for a straight shot than throw something perfectly flat and not roll your wrist over. Extends the usefulness/line-shaping ability of a lot of understable discs.

That's not to say it's the end all be all, just one tool in the Swiss Army knife. Powering a really HSS (overstable) disc on a flat/anny release for a straight shot is really useful if you have early obstacles on the right you want to go left of as well as flex shots on winding tunnels.

Thanks so much for the information. Just to clarify the last part, for longer, straighter shots an overstable disc would suit a bh dominant player? On my home course, there are several tight shots in the trees, and I've usually thrown my putter and it flies awesomely straight unless I really FUBAR my throw, so right now that's my plan to stick with, but knowing I could throw a HSS disc through the same spots, in theory, and hold that straight tight line would be beneficial for the future for sure.

Thanks so much for the information. Just to clarify the last part, for longer, straighter shots an overstable disc would suit a bh dominant player? On my home course, there are several tight shots in the trees, and I've usually thrown my putter and it flies awesomely straight unless I really FUBAR my throw, so right now that's my plan to stick with, but knowing I could throw a HSS disc through the same spots, in theory, and hold that straight tight line would be beneficial for the future for sure.

It depends on how you want that last leg of flight to look.

Scenario 1) Wooded tunnel hole, straightness and staying on the fairway a priority

Choose: Putter/neutral mid. Dull rim profile kicks less harshly off trees, keeping you on the FW better and easy to throw straight and stay straight.

Scenario 2) Wooded tunnel hole, low ceiling, finishing straight and long a priority

Choose: Understable driver. Sharper profile/faster disc flies farther on lower lines, throw it hyzer with zip so it flips flat and sails dead straight/tracks right depending on stability.

Scenario 3) Wooded tunnel hole, finishing left/staying away from OB/obstacles on right a priority

Choose: Stable to overstable putter/mid/driver depending on hole length and ceiling. Throw flat and use HSS to hit crucial gap and time the fade correctly. Putters will be straightest but drivers will give you extra lateral movement thanks to skip and whatnot.

Scenario 4) Wooded tunnel hole that finishes slightly to the left, straightness and distance around the corner a priority

Choose: Neutral/stable putter/mid/driver depending on hole length and ceiling. Throw on slight hyzer to pure the tunnel and fade/finish left without dump fading hard into the ground.

That's just 4 I could think of, thanks to trees and DG there are lots more. :popcorn:

^^ It's neither in the rulebook or a universal custom. Think of it as a local form of etiquette.

I just ran into this in a tournament a few weeks ago, and we all agreed that 4 and 4p were equivalent.

Thanks Teemkey and Roggenb3 for your responses. I have difficulty wrapping my head around how any local etiquette could ever preempt the rule book in a tournament setting, but whatever. Order of play is not that big a deal. This is just an annoyance more than anything.

Fairly new player here, just got into playing a lot over the summer.

Question on putters: Are there certain putters you'd recommend for spin putts or is it basically personal preference? (At least I think I am spin putting. I just shorten my normal backhand throwing motion. Putting with my chest facing the basket never felt natural to me) I'm currently putting with an old DX Aviar putt & approach but I'm looking for something else to try. Appreciate any comments!

Fairly new player here, just got into playing a lot over the summer.

Question on putters: Are there certain putters you'd recommend for spin putts or is it basically personal preference? (At least I think I am spin putting. I just shorten my normal backhand throwing motion. Putting with my chest facing the basket never felt natural to me) I'm currently putting with an old DX Aviar putt & approach but I'm looking for something else to try. Appreciate any comments!

dx aviar all day

Thanks. Might just pick up a few more of those then. Mine is so beat I can't drive with it anymore.

how far are you throwing consistently and accurately and with what?

i had one going on years, wavy rim, creased and taco'd. could still get hyzers out to 250 with it

how far are you throwing consistently and accurately and with what?

i had one going on years, wavy rim, creased and taco'd. could still get hyzers out to 250 with it

I'm throwing my roc and mako3 out to 220-240. I don't throw much else really. Fastest disc I have is a Leopard.

I don't really have problems turning the mako3 over but the aviar just dives straight right with a power grip. Maybe I just can't power grip putters? The aviar is pretty beat. It has a big gash on the rim.

Thanks. Might just pick up a few more of those then. Mine is so beat I can't drive with it anymore.

well regardless of how far youre throwing. do not discard that dx aviar. they season but season very well. you can throw short turn overs, hyzer flips and much more with it. getting a fresh back up is a good idea. also if you want a hit and stick plastic the gstarrr is the good stuff. they make the aviar in pretty much any of their plastics so you will be able to pick out what you want.

i pair a gstarrr aviar driver, with a beat to piss dx aviar (ran over at least 3 times, hella road rash, puddle top). gstarrr aviar d for wind, slightly os. then the beat dx aviar is turn overs or lasers. but i can still throw it on hyzer if needed.

well regardless of how far youre throwing. do not discard that dx aviar. they season but season very well. you can throw short turn overs, hyzer flips and much more with it. getting a fresh back up is a good idea. also if you want a hit and stick plastic the gstarrr is the good stuff. they make the aviar in pretty much any of their plastics so you will be able to pick out what you want.

i pair a gstarrr aviar driver, with a beat to piss dx aviar (ran over at least 3 times, hella road rash, puddle top). gstarrr aviar d for wind, slightly os. then the beat dx aviar is turn overs or lasers. but i can still throw it on hyzer if needed.

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely keep the DX then. I noticed the Gstar stuff at the shop and those felt real good so that may be my next purchase.

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely keep the DX then. I noticed the Gstar stuff at the shop and those felt real good so that may be my next purchase.

let me know your decision!

feel free to pm me if you have any future questions ive thrown my fair share of aviars. so maybe i could provide a little insight

and best of luck to you!!

Rules Question

If it would be more appropriate to post this question in a different thread, please let me know and I will do just that.

During a round in our local indoor putting league, I got involved in a discussion regarding a possible rules violation. Though the current PDGA rule book seemed to me to give a clear-cut answer, some of the players present either disagreed or had different opinions based on experience. So, I went looking for a more detailed answer and couldn't find one readily available.

Here is what happened:
Our marked lie for the particular shot was represented by two pieces of tape laid in an in "x" shape on the floor. The basket was located behind a large vertical steel beam. There was a mandatory in play, forcing players to throw to the left of the beam. A player was setting up his stance with one supporting point (left foot) about a foot behind the marked lie on line with the basket and the other supporting point (right foot) slightly further from the basket than his left foot and stretched out to his left.

I questioned his legality of his stance, since his supporting point behind the marked lie was about a foot away from the mark, instead of directly behind the mark, as stated in the current rule book (802.4 B):

When the disc is released, a player must:

1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
2. Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
3. Have all supporting points in-bounds.

The player stated that by rule, he was always entitled to have a supporting point up to 11 inches behind the marked lie, provided it was still online with the basket and the marked lie.

I haven't found any mention of this "11 inch rule" in the official rules. Some of the players present mentioned that they had heard from other "pro" players that it was acceptable to take this extra space behind the marked lie. I could see this being reasonable when there is a run-up and a follow-through is involved, to give the thrower space to plant their point of support behind the marker without stepping on it. However, I fail to see how this applies to a still stance, with a supporting point planted on the marked lie.

Anyone have a reference to this "11 inch rule?" Is it based on an outdated rule, maybe? Any opinions on the application of the current rule to the situation that I was applying it to?

Thanks,
D Love

I thought I remembered the 30cm text being in the rules section you quoted, but maybe it never was. The relevant piece of text for your situation is found in 800.02, the definitions section (which is a stupid way of organizing the rules IMO):

Lie: The spot on the playing surface behind the marker, upon which the player takes a stance in accordance with the rules. It is a line 30 centimeters in length extending back along the line of play from the rear edge of the marker disc. The lie for the first throw on a hole is the teeing area. A drop zone is also a lie.

In contact with the lie means in contact with that 30cm line segment, not necessarily directly behind the mark.

the answer lies within the definition of THE LIE itself :D

Lie
The spot on the playing surface behind the marker, upon which
the player takes a stance in accordance with the rules. It is a line
30 centimeters in length extending back along the line of play
from the rear edge of the marker disc. The lie for the first throw
on a hole is the teeing area. A drop zone is also a lie.

Well recently I was playing with someone who was convinced that, in the case of a tie, if one person had say a 4 and the other had a 4p, then the player without the penalty would shoot first. Is there any validity to this? As far as I know, there is no difference between a 4 and a 4p. I have never heard of this before, and I can't find it in the rule book. I asked the tournament organizer about this and he said that, for the purposes of determining tee off order, a 4 does trump a 4p. I asked him if this was in the rule book, and he said no.

What's a 4p?

Thanks for the easy answer!

Thanks.

That definition should be included in the "Throwing From a Stance" section as well! It would have helped our group to clarify that much, much more efficiently.

I think he means a circle 4. A 4 including a penalty stroke.

The rulebook says: "Teeing order on all subsequent holes is determined by the scores on the previous hole, with the lowest score throwing first, and so on. If the previous hole was a tie, the scores are to be counted back until the order is resolved. "

Nothing about penalty strokes. A 4 is a 4.

I did a little searching and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask here.

Why are champ eagles so opaque compared to other champ discs?

Latest posts