• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

noobie, what next?

I would suggest trying different shots. It's a lot easier to make yourself practice a forehand while you can't throw an anhyzer around a corner. While your skills are at a general even level, you learn which shots work best for certain situations.

E.g. I started turbo putting before backhand putting. I now have a very good turbo putt that gets me out of some silly situations where others without a turbo would not have had such an advantageous out.

So much great advice! Really appreciate it guys. Good point on don't get burned out as I've always been an all or nothing guy. I'm just pretty competitive with myself and want to continue to improve.

I'm going keep working on my putting
I'm going to work on the hammer drills
I'm going to work on some new lines
I'm going to try some new shots

Another quick question..What's a good under stable disc to work on my anhyzers? Like I said I use a Roc but would I be better off with something else? any links on how to try a hyzer flip?

Thanks

I would suggest trying different shots. It's a lot easier to make yourself practice a forehand while you can't throw an anhyzer around a corner. While your skills are at a general even level, you learn which shots work best for certain situations.

E.g. I started turbo putting before backhand putting. I now have a very good turbo putt that gets me out of some silly situations where others without a turbo would not have had such an advantageous out.

I'll just play devil's advocate because this is something that always interested me. When I started playing, I quickly became a j"ack of all trades, master of none" kind of golfer b/c my home course required so many different lines to get out of trouble and save par and such. So I got a competent BH, FH, and OH but really it wasn't until I buckled down and really worked on the BH that I felt like I reached a new level. Of course, I focused on the BH so much that my FH and OH got rusty and now I've got to pick them back up.

So I guess it kind of depends on the person is what I'm trying to say, because for me personally, I feel like it would have shortened my learning curve dramatically if I had really figured out the BH first instead of using FH and OH as sorts of form shortcuts. Interesting to think about.

Another quick question..What's a good under stable disc to work on my anhyzers? Like I said I use a Roc but would I be better off with something else? any links on how to try a hyzer flip?
Just about anything out of the box understable really. DX Leopard is what most people usually start out with. A beat Roc can do them easily, Comet if you don't have one beat in enough.

Hyzer flip is pretty much any understable disc thrown with hyzer that if thrown with enough power/fast enough will flip out of hyzer to flat or even all the way over, depending on stability and amount of power used. A hyzer flip that doesn't end straight or fade back at the end is basically a turnover, i.e. turned over into an anhyzer angle and stayed turned over. A hyzer flip is a fantastically useful line and really teaches you about line shaping because you can control just about every aspect of the disc's flight (amount or duration of turn, amount or duration of fade). Practice throwing hyzers that flip flat and fade back, flip flat and stay straight, turn over a little and track right, turn over and "fade" hard right (for RHBH).

#1 tip: Find someone who has played the sport for a while, and play a few rounds with them. Ask them to critique your technique, footwork, etc. Take their advice and practice in a field; playing a standard DG round is not practice.

Welcome to the game.

So much great advice! Really appreciate it guys. Good point on don't get burned out as I've always been an all or nothing guy. I'm just pretty competitive with myself and want to continue to improve.

I'm going keep working on my putting
I'm going to work on the hammer drills
I'm going to work on some new lines
I'm going to try some new shots

Given your distance, try a Roadrunner, Sidewinder, or, if you really want something that'll flip hard, a Mamba.

As someone who throws BH and FH almost equally, I'd suggest doing what I did, learning to BH well first, then working on the FH. This will do two things: 1) By not immediately depending on your FH, you will be forced to learn annie routes, which is great for your overall game and knowledge of disc physics; 2) It will make your transition to FH easier and quicker because you'll have all the core basics (footwork, release point, arm speed etc.) nearly mastered, and you'll know a lot more about the discs you're throwing.

I waited about two years to learn to throw a FH, and after two months I was throwing it over 400'. I was about a 920-rated player before adding the FH to my game, and I was 970 rated a year later. It's a tremendous advantage, but give your BH time to develop first.

And putt, putt, putt, then practice your putting.

I'll just play devil's advocate because this is something that always interested me. When I started playing, I quickly became a j"ack of all trades, master of none" kind of golfer b/c my home course required so many different lines to get out of trouble and save par and such. So I got a competent BH, FH, and OH but really it wasn't until I buckled down and really worked on the BH that I felt like I reached a new level. Of course, I focused on the BH so much that my FH and OH got rusty and now I've got to pick them back up.

So I guess it kind of depends on the person is what I'm trying to say, because for me personally, I feel like it would have shortened my learning curve dramatically if I had really figured out the BH first instead of using FH and OH as sorts of form shortcuts. Interesting to think about.

Just about anything out of the box understable really. DX Leopard is what most people usually start out with. A beat Roc can do them easily, Comet if you don't have one beat in enough.

Hyzer flip is pretty much any understable disc thrown with hyzer that if thrown with enough power/fast enough will flip out of hyzer to flat or even all the way over, depending on stability and amount of power used. A hyzer flip that doesn't end straight or fade back at the end is basically a turnover, i.e. turned over into an anhyzer angle and stayed turned over. A hyzer flip is a fantastically useful line and really teaches you about line shaping because you can control just about every aspect of the disc's flight (amount or duration of turn, amount or duration of fade). Practice throwing hyzers that flip flat and fade back, flip flat and stay straight, turn over a little and track right, turn over and "fade" hard right (for RHBH).

Thanks Brother Dave, I was thinking the same thing, that it would be better to really get my RHBH down and then try to incorporate other shots.

I have a Pro Leopard would that be comparable to a DX Leopard? I also have a beat Roc and a new Comet. And how is a hyzer flip thrown compared to just a regular hyzer? is it all in the disc and power? Also how would I differ my hyzers like you suggested?

Thanks

Thanks Brother Dave, I was thinking the same thing, that it would be better to really get my RHBH down and then try to incorporate other shots.

I have a Pro Leopard would that be comparable to a DX Leopard?
Yeah, definitely. Leopards in DX and Pro are much flippier right away than ones in Star or Champ.
I also have a beat Roc and a new Comet. And how is a hyzer flip thrown compared to just a regular hyzer?
Either one would work as well, as long as you can throw either hard enough that they turn over. Remember that hyzer is just the angle you start the disc on. Discs that stay hyzer from start to finish are called hyzers but really it's just the angle of release.
is it all in the disc and power? Also how would I differ my hyzers like you suggested?
Pretty much. Short and easy recipe for throwing a hyzer-flip: Take an understable disc and throw with hyzer. Throw hard enough that disc flips away from hyzer angle to either flat or turned over into anhyzer angle. To throw different kinds of hyzer-flips, experiment with degree of hyzer* and/or
amount of power used. I'll also emphasize the importance of staying hyzer throughout the throw and into the follow through because it's very easy to roll your wrist over from hyzer to anhyzer which imparts off-axis torque and can cause turn-and-burns (unintentional roller).

*Just to clarify the hyzer, flat, anhyzer thing, think of a clock face. For a RHBH, hyzer angles will range from a slight hyzer just below 9 o'clock to an extreme hyzer of near 6 o'clock. Flat is as close to 9 o'clock as possible (practically impossible, it's better to err on the side of slight hyzer often). Anhyzer starts at past 9 o'clock with an extreme anny around 11 o'clock. From ~10:30 to 12 o'clock is potentially roller territory depending on how understable the disc.

It's hard to go wrong with a leopard and teebird combo. I like the pro leopard for generally going straight, but for turnovers and rollers, I prefer a dx that's beat flippy.

Don't spend a bunch of money on faster plastic until you've explored a full range of putters and mids in different plastics.