• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noodle Arms, Need Your Input

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Looking to hear from anyone who's having trouble getting the distance they want (I'm sure we all want more ;) ).

Have you tried doing anything to increase your distance, or have you been content with where you're at? If you've tried anything, can you mention what has and hasn't seemed to help you improve your distance? Also, are you aware of something that keeps you from throwing far, or do you not know why you're only capable of throwing how far you can?

Mike C, I'm so glad ur concerned about my lack of distance, lol. I can really only get decent distance with throwing FH, but I'm working hard on the BH, which is pretty pathetic right now. I literally couldn't throw a backhand 100 ft., but now I get it maybe out to 200 ft. The biggest help has been to really try to break it down by starting from a standstill, then one step, etc. And also getting all my weight forward at the finish of the shot and of course trying to get that magical snap as much as possible. One thing that screws me up more than anything is in trying to emulate the pros with a long reach back. When I don't try for an ultra long reachback, I find the shot usually comes off better. What tips would u recommend?

Mike C, I'm so glad ur concerned about my lack of distance, lol.

Writing some guides to try to help players (Including myself) better understand what it takes to achieve distance. I figured people's input could assist me. If anyone would like to PM me rather than post in this thread that's cool too.

One thing that screws me up more than anything is in trying to emulate the pros with a long reach back. When I don't try for an ultra long reachback, I find the shot usually comes off better. What tips would u recommend?

Good observation. The full reach back can actually make it more difficult to get snap unless you're pretty advanced with your BH throw. I'd say reach back to about your left shoulder and no further. It can be difficult to reach back really far and still maintain late acceleration until you've really developed a feel for snap.

Anyone not happy with their current distance, but tbh I probably can't offer players throwing 450'+ much help :)

Writing some guides to try to help players (Including myself) better understand what it takes to achieve distance. I figured people's input could assist me. If anyone would like to PM me rather than post in this thread that's cool too.

I hope people will post them here--I'd love to read through them all!

I use to have the same problem so all I threw was a forehand. At the beginning of this summer though I decided to work on my backhand and I talked to some of the upper level players in St. Louis. I started out by bringing my arm back farther than i use to and pulling the disc through closer to my chest. I also dont have big arms at all so I found that by putting more wrist snap in my throw right before my release extremely increased the distance I was getting out of my drives.

For me, I think most of my form is ok--footwork, getting fully turned, reachback, straight pull--but I don't think I'm getting anything out of my wrist. I think it's just along for the ride. I rarely feel the rip. I think the rest of my game is decent for a beginner, so this winter (in my garage), I'll really be working on snap.

For me, I think most of my form is ok--footwork, getting fully turned, reachback, straight pull--but I don't think I'm getting anything out of my wrist. I think it's just along for the ride. I rarely feel the rip. I think the rest of my game is decent for a beginner, so this winter (in my garage), I'll really be working on snap.

Snap is more than just about the wrist though. There's some good videos on utube about snap--have u watched any of those?

it's a a myth cause no body has the "secret" and everyone claims to have the "secret"

i have snap, but i couldn't tell you why or how to do it yourself. it just happens

Snap is mainly a combination of these things IMO:

-Using proper footwork and body rotation to drive your power from the legs up
-Having a solid grip
-Throwing hard
-Applying that effort late, i.e. Late Acceleration

-Having a solid grip
-Throwing hard

I'd say the first 3 of those can contribute to the last, and the last thing is a main component of snap. Have u guys seen the 'more snap' videos on utube?? Those changed my whole way of thinking of a DG throw!

-Having a solid grip
-Throwing hard

i agree. but have you ever tried to teach someone how to "snap" a disc? it's pretty hard to explain and have them get the hang of it.

i can't stand those videos. must be the dudes gear.

ok....have u happened to see his thread on DGR? He goes into a lot more detail than on his videos. Seems to me the guy is onto something. Wish others would chime in on the whole issue of snap...I can't be the only one to believe in it, lol.

Latest posts