• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noodle Arms, Need Your Input

OK so I figured I'd post on this now...I have been learning RHBH for about 2-3 months now I think. In my bag, I have a champ leopard, 3 buzzz's (esp, elite z, glo z) and I prefer the esp right now...its also my most beat in buzzz, but not very beat in at that....and then aviars. Well lately I have felt like I am putting in a lot of energy into my throwing motion but when the disc is released, I feel like 90% of that energy was wasted...I don't think I have a weak arm but I know I am doing something wrong...also everyonce in a while if I overpower or when I try to do powerful anhyzer releases...my shoulder pops followed by severe pain, so I get a little nervous to really put a lot of power behind my throws. I will try to get a vid up at some point soon, or PM it to someone...any help is welcome.

Without seeing your throw, here's one thing you could try. Slow down your entire x-step and throwing motion, up until the disc is coming in front of your right pec, then accelerate fast as you can at the point but not before that point. Also make sure to follow through and pivot, that should help you avoid stressing your arm and shoulder much.

I was recently doing the Beto excercise: no walkup full arm and threw a buzzz ~240', farther than all my other discs that day. It was at that point I realized the x-step was hurting me more than helping me. Now I got to my local course and do just that, stand, full reach, full spin, buzzz 240' or my XL 250-280 (300 max, on a good day, no wind, with a glidey XL X).

At some point I'll rework the cross step in but I'll take accuracy over distance for now. I was playing over lunch one day and a group of 4 were ahead of me throwing really fast drivers. It was a dogleg left 480' hole and they all, every single one of them, threw it high and into the woods. I threw my XL 260' out...in the center of the fairway, 2nd shot was a Buzzz that hit the pole.

Obviously I need to get more distance than that, but I'll go one step at a time. I also have a shoulder injury which means I can only throw at 75%. That Beto exercise + snap (which you can't really teach) = the $$$.

^I do sort of the same, except I've left it at a 1 step(and never really did the full beto exercise), just (one step)forward ever since I've started. Sometimes a friend will say that I should add a run up or something, but then all I think is how that will really mess with my shot and likely add no significant distance.

100-200ft;(stand still) Some beginners use to hold the arm around the disc and use a short pull and don´t pull the disc straight. When doing so the disc will not get any speed and will drop faster to the ground because it has no balance and no air to get under the disc at slow speeds.

200-300ft;(slow walk) On their way to progress they use a straighter pull so the disc will get a higher speed and more glide.

300-400ft;(quite fast x-step) They start working on the grip so the disc will get more spin so the disc will hold itself longer up in the air and fly faster.

400-500ft;(fast and controled x-step) They have figured the most things out and they are pulling the disc on a straighter line before release and they have gotten an almost perfect grip and they have a good weight transfer.

600-800+ft(quite fast runup and a very fast but very well controled 360 turnaround )They have figured out everything they need to know and gotten very good on throwing explosive throws and using all parts of the body to generate speed and power.

This thread is being resurrected!!! Mike C, we need your help!

Disclaimer:

"Mike isn't a pro but he seems to have a few things down. Plus he's an accessible DG forum nerd and has a camera, so any questions he's asked he can respond to with videos."

Basically, this thread is for people who enjoy his videos and have some more specific questions, or even for requests of some different throws, i.e., if 'some guy wants to know how a Fuse works for FH turnovers, I can go out and shoot a video of it or w/e.

OK, so my (first) question is:

When you are doing a typical BH throw, do you turn your hips, and the torso follows, or do your hips and torso pretty much move together?

Trying some new things earlier today, I was trying to let my hips turn my torso, but lost a lot of control. I think it really put a huge hitch in my swing too. But, if that's the way it goes, I'll have to learn.

You want your hips to lead and your torso to follow. Thats where you get the "whip" effect as your body speed increases. This speed increase is also more important to come secondary to your upper body with your hips as a lead because the upper body speed directly translates into your throw speed where hips (although as important) are secondary. Does this make sense?

Yeah, I guess it does. You're saying, the hip speed doesn't really translate to disc speed; the upper body speed does. But, the best way to get good upper body speed is to have good hip speed. That makes total sense.

Maybe I'm getting hung up on the torso vs. shoulder relationship. Are you saying that the torso and shoulders are really just one unit moving together? That makes sense, I think I was having the hips/gut moving together and the shoulders following, which was not working so well.

You use your hips to lead your torso, your torso will then in turn lead your shoulder/arm, that's when you rip it, you use your body to get into position up to that point.

Or at least that's what I think. :|

^I do sort of the same, except I've left it at a 1 step(and never really did the full beto exercise), just (one step)forward ever since I've started. Sometimes a friend will say that I should add a run up or something, but then all I think is how that will really mess with my shot and likely add no significant distance.

THIS! When I decided that I wanted to throw better, the Beto video became my bible (among other videos). I started doing the tight pec only throw and was getting mid ranges out 200' or more fairly straight. When I added a step it seriously added 50' right off the bat. I kept working on a one step. The course I started playing the most is a fairly short open course and never had a desire to work in more of a run up or x step. Most all of the private courses around here have natural (i.e. less than perfect) tee pads, so I never needed or wanted to throw in an x step with there either.

Long story short, I out drive most people I play with when it comes to pure distance. I can't stand when somebody tries to imply that I need to add in more of a run up. The only people that do that are people who I can easily out drive. I think the better players who can out drive me appreciate the distance I get with the little effort I put into it.

Nose Down

Mike, I've watched some of your videos and you can crush. I need help with keeping the nose down, while still giving the disc enough height to work a line. I'm maxing out around 375 with a Wraith, but I can't get it over maybe 10 ft off the ground without throwing nose up, and you know what happens next : stalls out and fades hard. Any tips?

I've been getting better with nose down issues, but i'm losing my progress with the colder months. My distance improves when I focus on following through.

Jeasy you could try watching this video if you haven't.

Another thing that makes throwing high and nose down easier is using hyzer or anhyzer. I have a discussion going on this subject at DGR and Blake T made a very good post on the subject. JR posted some nice info too but he's kind of difficult to understand at times (I think he might use translator software or something...plus he likes to write a lot :) )

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23996

One last thing I've played around with some is forcing my wrist further down than normal to literally get the nose down and not just level, when I know I'm going to be aiming high. I've had mixed success with this myself...I find throwing high shots with hyzer the best option, but that can also mean using a different disc if the one you're currently using is too overstable for you to hyzerflip.

Alright. Wasn't trying to be rude, I just thought I read that somewhere on DGR. Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else.

Another way to work on the nose down of your throw is to increase the downward pressure from your thumb onto the flight plate of the disc. This will help the disc keep the proper nose angle on your release. This is just one small part of fighting nose-up but in my experience one that has some of the fastest results for players struggling with the issue.

RHBH is my main style.
Max D 300'. Average with any accuracy 250-270' and that's still iffy.

That vid in #134 from today, I've seen that style touted a lot and it's awesome. Just a little nose down with a little thumb pressure and wrist makes the difference between throwing a disc and throwing a disc shaped boomerang. Adding his way of wrapping my hand around the disc was another huge improvement. I do have to remind myself to do it instead of doing it how he showed was the wrong way. It still feels weird, even though it's right.

When it come to throwing straight or straight and long, I think I have 3 problems. This here what I'm talking about is long straight drives like off the tee or in a fairway.

Early release which results in way far left from the get go. That I can probably correct that by feeling better for the rip, which was another big improvement for me. At first it felt out of control to let it rip. Now it feels correct.

Late release which results in way far right from the get go. I dunno. Over thinking the throw maybe. I almost always know I've done it right before the disc leaves my hand. It feels like, "Oh crap! I better let go now because... it's already too late."

Biggest problem. Upward motion. Sometimes I do it with my whole body. Most times with just my arm. Sometimes, I think, I'm doing it from half way through. Most times it seems like I'm whipping my arm upward like Adolf toward the end. I've stopped myself right at the end of my throw, after the disc has left, and I'm standing there seeking Kyle. Any tips on correcting that?

THIS! When I decided that I wanted to throw better, the Beto video became my bible (among other videos). I started doing the tight pec only throw and was getting mid ranges out 200' or more fairly straight. When I added a step it seriously added 50' right off the bat. I kept working on a one step. The course I started playing the most is a fairly short open course and never had a desire to work in more of a run up or x step. Most all of the private courses around here have natural (i.e. less than perfect) tee pads, so I never needed or wanted to throw in an x step with there either.

Long story short, I out drive most people I play with when it comes to pure distance. I can't stand when somebody tries to imply that I need to add in more of a run up. The only people that do that are people who I can easily out drive. I think the better players who can out drive me appreciate the distance I get with the little effort I put into it.

I have a friend who started with the beto exercise and he does a one step too. He's tried to put in an x step, but sort of quit since it was more of a walk up than a run up and wasn't adding a lot of distance. I think though that part of his distance difference comes from his full turn backwards, where as I think most of the time I don't get a full reach back. One of those friends of mine who has told me I should start a run up has to be the farthest throwing of my friends...but he also throws discus and is rather muscular.

Anyways I think the major reason that the beto exercise works for so many people is it attempts to keep people from going too fast into a full reach back and x step. Also to teach people to get their elbow out instead of just swinging their arm around in an almost circular motion. I might have to start on the beto exercise once this snow goes away...only disc I've thrown in the past few months has been my dog's 110g frisbee :/. Though for being such a light weight disc and very understable being a frisbee and all, I've gotten fairly good at throwing it.

Last edited:
There are two simple steps to keeping the disc low in it's flight.

1. Keep your weight forward. As you're releasing your disc your weight should be forward. It's common for players to release with their body straight up and down and even leaning back. This can be difficult to fix because often players with these habits have tricked themselves into feeling like that forward movement will cost them balance. A day of practice should help a player developthe necessary balance for this.

2. Following through with your throwing arm on the same plane you want the disc to fly. If you want to keep the disc lower and straighter have your arm come across your body and behind it in a straight line. If your hand starts just below your chest it needs to be at the same height as it passes in front of you and behind your back. It seems subtle but when your arm finishes on another plane it gets their through a motion that begins just microseconds before the snap and hugely helps determine flight angles and flight path.

Latest posts