• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina bound need advice

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Warn the trees I'm sprinting down this weekend. I'm a bit confused about what to play. Renny hornets nevin Ashe are the definites. I'm gonna come down 81 maybe hit liberty n warriors path and return up 95 hoping for grange loriella. My priority is the toughest and treasures of north Carolina I also wanna hit a good disc shoppe. I'm open to criticism and suggestions. I'm an am but prefer the toughest courses and am looking forward to Appalachian beauty elevation and woods. Gnarly and weird lines through woods make me smile. Help a brother out. Advice.

Yeah I've been reading about Renny for the past 8 yrs. I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm pretty sure it will. Does Charlotte have a good disc shoppe

I don't know how much Appalachian beauty we have this time of year with all the leaves fallen off. Ashe is still a good one.

Renny might be the toughest course around but it's not pretty in a natural way but it has a lot of precarious baskets and cool hole designs. I think Hornet's Nest, Elon Long and Nevin are a bit prettier and quite challenging in their own right. Buckhorn is a beautiful beast with the lake holes (proper lake at that). Yadkinville is a beaut too. Reidsville has some scenic holes but 1/4 of the holes are not as good as the rest, but it has a nice little disc shop on site. Burlington is still one of the best courses for the traveler b/c it's 2 nice ones in one park and you can play the figure 8 which connects them both.

Does Charlotte have a good disc shoppe

As far as a good disc shop, surprisingly it's all PIAS in Raleigh, Charlotte, etc for the most part. I don't think Charlotte has one anymore, it's all local vendors and pros in the club scene I think. I have to give a shout out to Chuck in Sanford though, he's got tons of Innova, lots of Discraft, some Discmania, some Gateway, some Lightning, some DGA, and even some Quest AT plus he has his own bags and stuff which look pretty nice. It's not too outta the way if you run over to Buckhorn. Let me know if you need some can't fail directions.

I live near warriors and if you are going to be in western nc then play richmond hill. If you are going to play warriors then stop in Johnson City and play winged deer park. Pretty fun and is more of a precise throwing course.

if you want appalachian beauty and elevation come to richmond hill in asheville, nc. we also have a local vendor who brings her trailer out to the course on certain days. all innova and discraft. nothing too special but she has a large selection and is a very nice person.

Warn the trees I'm sprinting down this weekend. I'm a bit confused about what to play. Renny hornets nevin Ashe are the definites. I'm gonna come down 81 maybe hit liberty n warriors path and return up 95 hoping for grange loriella. My priority is the toughest and treasures of north Carolina I also wanna hit a good disc shoppe. I'm open to criticism and suggestions. I'm an am but prefer the toughest courses and am looking forward to Appalachian beauty elevation and woods. Gnarly and weird lines through woods make me smile. Help a brother out. Advice.

Coming down I-81 to I-77, your best bets are, from north to south:
- High Country (Ashe) - about an hour off 77 (exit 73)
- Yadkin & Highland Hills - both within 30 minutes of 77 (exit 73)
- Stumpy Creek - 15 minutes off exit 36
- All your Charlotte courses

There will be snow on the ground in Jefferson, and maybe Wilkesboro & Yadkinville. It's pretty much melted here in Charlotte, and will be gone with a couple 60 degree days this weekend.

Buckhorn.........tough course....
Fins Furs And Feathers (sanford)..........nice shoppe

let me know if your playing buckhorn i might be able to meet you ....im about an hour southwest......and i can show you the way to chucks shop.......

Renny and Hornets Nest are must plays. If you like a challenge then you'll definitely want to play Renny Gold and Charlotte's Web at the Nest. That's not meant to take anything away from the original layouts as they are certainly challenging in their own right.

If you should play Renny, you might want to try to meet up with a local to be a guide. Navigation can be confusing for the uninitiated. You can take a map as a reference but the maps are outdated and at least three of the holes no longer exist (Renny Black/Original).

I suggest taking a map of Hornets Nest too. Some holes can be easily missed on the Web layout (like hole #3).

Nevin, IMO, is even more difficult than Renny and Hornets Nest. It's an incredible course that can be absolutely brutal.

Elon Long is certainly demanding. That's a favorite among quite a few people.

As for disc shops, check out Alpine Ski Center. They have a large selection of Innova and Discraft. They also have Gateway but most of the inventory is pretty much centered on putters. At least that was the case when I was last there but I admit it's been about nine months since I was last there. Duffy Smith is the store manager, a real nice guy. Alpine Ski Center sponsors one of the leagues here in Charlotte so I tend to encourage people support them.

There's also Infinity's End. I've never been there so I don't know what kind of selection they have.

Lastly, if you should find yourself wandering down to Rock Hill, SC for some reason, there's a shop right next to #1 tee on the Winthrop course. In their stock you'll find Innnova, Innova, Innova and oh yeah Innova. If you're a Innova thrower, you should be quite happy here. I don't know about their hours of operation though. I've only been this shop during the USDGC.

I'd love to meet up with you but I won't be available Saturday afternoon or Sunday. SmoothSailor, from Ohio is in town. I think he's here all weekend. Of course, you may want to hit up chain-addicted, a local guide for several courses here in the QC.

Have a safe trip and have fun down here. I'll be interested to read about you're experiences down here.

i have been to infinitys end (head shop) they have a nice selection .......

another good one is PIAS at crossroads in cary......lots of discs but not that cheap............chuck has the best deals that i know of

Last edited:
Buckhorn hmmmm maybe it's time to buy a wahoo lol. This is gonna be fun. Leaving in 2 hrs
been wondering how nc stacks up to pennsy for awhile. Really excited. Is Winthrop worth it or is it only good in the tourney layout. Gold?

Buckhorn hmmmm maybe it's time to buy a wahoo lol. This is gonna be fun. Leaving in 2 hrs
been wondering how nc stacks up to pennsy for awhile. Really excited. Is Winthrop worth it or is it only good in the tourney layout. Gold?

I dont think you will have very much fun trying to play Winny Gold when it doesnt have the ropes up. Also: some of the baskets on critical holes get moved back to "non-tourney" positions if you know-whum-sayin'.

Come join the party down in Crown Town this weekend.... we have a goooood tyme.....:thmbup:

Renny & Hornets Nest, with their two overlapping layouts, amount to 4 courses. You can happily expend a bunch of your disc golf energy right there.

I'd skip Winthrop---it's good, but there are better choices with less driving.

Elon Long has long, tough, sometimes gnarly lines through the woods (14 of the 18 holes), sounds like your kind of place. I haven't played Nevin, but am told it has the same, but moreso.

Consider Castle Hayne, near Wilmington, NC, but it's probably out of your way.
The course is rated highly and compares favorably to the best Charlotte courses.
The local PIAS has a good, but not spectacular, disc selection of Innova and Discraft.
If you decide to come, let me know and I'll make sure you get the guided tour.

Up the road is the Jacksonville and Richlands courses. They're not really worth a trip, but the Women's US Championship was held on them this year.

Latest posts