• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Just noticed another new course today, posted by DGC.
Farris Park in Mayodan, north of the Triad.

About 4000' from the Reds and 5300' from the Blues.
Description says it has a mix of open and wooded holes.

Looking at the map on the other website :)D), it looks like the holes avoid the ballfields, but get close to the soccer fields, so you may want to be selective about when you show up to play.

I played Farris the other day. It's an enjoyable little course. I think locals and beginners will dig it. There's some fun wooded holes and a couple of open ones.

Farris does give you some opportunities to bomb but there's a stretch where it gets a little repetitive. Holes 5-8 (IIRC) do play around soccer fields. However, I don't know how much use they get. I was the only one out there on that day. Could be a different story in the summertime.

There are a couple of holes where ballfields/fence lines deceptively come into play (especially on the right side of Hole 18).

All in all, it's not a destination course by any means, but it's definitely worth a bag.

Didn't make it to Farmington until today. Wow! Gonna end up spending a lot of time out there, a couple of big boomers and a lot of technical woods golf. Roc and Roll!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention at the corner of 801 and Farmington road as you turn south you will see an older brick building on your left. This is a disc golf shop. Not sure of the name, but their selection is good. Stop in and spend a buck or two. [emoji106][emoji41]

I played Farris the other day. It's an enjoyable little course. I think locals and beginners will dig it. There's some fun wooded holes and a couple of open ones.

Farris does give you some opportunities to bomb but there's a stretch where it gets a little repetitive. Holes 5-8 (IIRC) do play around soccer fields. However, I don't know how much use they get. I was the only one out there on that day. Could be a different story in the summertime.

There are a couple of holes where ballfields/fence lines deceptively come into play (especially on the right side of Hole 18).

All in all, it's not a destination course by any means, but it's definitely worth a bag.

Played it today and posted some pictures on here. In terms of mid-range courses, I really enjoyed it. I only felt there were a couple of filler holes, maybe one or two less in the open field, but otherwise it has a nice flow to it. It feels like you're out in the middle of nowhere, but once you're back on 220, you can get to Greensboro or Winston in no time.

Forgot to mention at the corner of 801 and Farmington road as you turn south you will see an older brick building on your left. This is a disc golf shop. Not sure of the name, but their selection is good. Stop in and spend a buck or two. [emoji106][emoji41]

Bangin' Chainz - name of shop

^^^^^^

"Diavolo coming to fruition has allowed us to show off what disc golf can be to a lot of other municipalities," Sink said. "I can't tell you how many tours we've given since the course came online to other Parks and Rec directors. Hopefully we've been able to be a catalyst for other local parks."

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

..... and ya gotta looove Pendleton King! [emoji106][emoji16]

Pendleton King was a fun intermediate level course. And that was before some of the upgrades. It's a shame the locals turned it into the butt of jokes online.

It is a very good course, but remember, this is based on UDisc reviews.

I spent several days volunteering on the course (including one when Elaine King came out) it is fun and long but not terribly difficult. It doesn't feel like NC golf to me. The woods just aren't as "woodsy" as I expect in the Triangle. That said, the length could make a "woodsy" round take a really long time.

Played Sawmills on Saturday for the first time. Definitely won't be the last. We played the Blue tees, thinking "More golf for your money," and enjoyed it immensely. Didn't score very well (5-over), but had such a good time. The bridges and other work to improve traversability were really cool...

I loooooove that course! Holy cow. Might try to hit the Bear, and then Sawmills again, next weekend. Great golf in the Hickory area. Hoping to get a snow round in up there. Just a lovely corner of the world.

That might be the funniest thing I've seen all day. Sounds a like the great Pendleton King ratings conspiracy of '13.

Ha don't think it's quite that bad.

Diavolo is a very good course that is definitely a top course in NC where Pendleton wasn't close to a top course in GA.

However the idea of it being top 10 in the world is a bit much. I'm not sure it's in my personal top 20 but it's still a great course. It got a lot of traction because it looks pretty, is well maintained and is different than anything else I. Eastern NC or probably within a 2 hour drive.

Udisc ratings are always inflated. If a course looks good and has good signage.

Looks like Dorothea Dix Park in Raleigh now has a second temp 9-hole course, this one much longer than the one from the fall and utilizing a different part of the park. It is now open, and will be available during Feb and March.

https://dixpark.org/pop-disc-golf-course

https://dixpark.org/sites/dixpark/files/2021-02/PRCR-Pop_Up_Disc_Golf_PDF.pdf

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12095

Cool that every hole is at least a par 4! Don't think I've ever seen that for a 9-hole course. It's way longer than a lot of 18-hole courses.

Looks like Dorothea Dix Park in Raleigh now has a second temp 9-hole course, this one much longer than the one from the fall and utilizing a different part of the park. It is now open, and will be available during Feb and March.

https://dixpark.org/pop-disc-golf-course

https://dixpark.org/sites/dixpark/files/2021-02/PRCR-Pop_Up_Disc_Golf_PDF.pdf

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12095

Cool that every hole is at least a par 4! Don't think I've ever seen that for a 9-hole course. It's way longer than a lot of 18-hole courses.

I posted this announcement on the CADL FB page (tks aredoubles) and got a question I was also wondering about, "Are the baskets at Forest Ridge Park still there?"
Yes, I checked them out today on my lunch break and the Forest Ridge course is still there. So I guess that means that Raleigh PR&CR now has 18 portable DISCatchers.

Latest posts