• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Gotta. My friend Gordon Hunt, a lot of you will know him, aced #1 short out of the car at Johnson Street today.

Two of my playing partners have aced #1. I have hit the cage twice but not aced it...yet. JSP is great.

This seems like a good (active) thread to ask this question. Plans are moving ahead to hold the High Country Throwdown this Saturday at Ashe County Park (for free!). My 13- and 14-year old sons are begging me to take them. (They've wanted to play in tournaments for a while, and my oldest has played the Raleigh Winter Jam at good ol' Kentwood). So my question, since I haven't played this highly touted course yet, is this track too beastly from the long tees for the likes of my sons and me? I'm a noodle arm, but reasonably accurate, 880ish rated. My boys can throw further, but with less accuracy and would probably be low- to mid-800 rated. Ashe County Park longs too much or should I quit whining and let the boys play? (Note: this tournament will be a "play when you arrive" deal: play any time between 8am and 3pm, so maybe we wouldn't hold up other players too much if we were to play..."at our own pace".)

It depends on your appetite for challenge.

I'm a broken-down old guy with an arm so weak that when my drives land, I can still read the stamp. Or so it seems. Ashe County is one of my favorite courses---especially from the longs.

The worst that would happen is that you'd throw a lot....but be doing so on fabulous holes.

This seems like a good (active) thread to ask this question. Plans are moving ahead to hold the High Country Throwdown this Saturday at Ashe County Park (for free!). My 13- and 14-year old sons are begging me to take them. (They've wanted to play in tournaments for a while, and my oldest has played the Raleigh Winter Jam at good ol' Kentwood). So my question, since I haven't played this highly touted course yet, is this track too beastly from the long tees for the likes of my sons and me? I'm a noodle arm, but reasonably accurate, 880ish rated. My boys can throw further, but with less accuracy and would probably be low- to mid-800 rated. Ashe County Park longs too much or should I quit whining and let the boys play? (Note: this tournament will be a "play when you arrive" deal: play any time between 8am and 3pm, so maybe we wouldn't hold up other players too much if we were to play..."at our own pace".)

It's a very tough course from the longs but only 1 hole should prove a major challenge for those who can't throw as far. Hole 3 from the long's has a very tough water carry that probably requires at least 300' to play safe for par, though I'm sure people can find a safer way to play for Bogey. The downhill holes off the mountain on 9 & 18 can be rough for lost discs if you don't throw far but the rest, while tough and punishing, is manageable. Definitely be ready for a long round.

#15 from the long tees will punish any disc that goes left. You're 2/3 up the hill, throwing over the ravine. Anything left means you're walking back down the hill to retrieve the disc then throwing an even harder shot.

Same concept on #17, but the slope is to your right. And with more trees you most likely won't roll THAT far down the hill.

This seems like a good (active) thread to ask this question. Plans are moving ahead to hold the High Country Throwdown this Saturday at Ashe County Park (for free!). My 13- and 14-year old sons are begging me to take them. (They've wanted to play in tournaments for a while
Ashe County was my home course from 2014-2017, so I know it well and have many fond memories of that great course. I have a few comments and questions...

1) If your boys are begging you to go, then take them! That is really the end of the discussion. But make sure to warn them that they will get beat up. There will be tons of hiking up and down hills, so prepare to be tired. Also advise them to dial back on the power and stay in the fairways. With Sugaree and Black Jack listed as extinct Ashe Co is currently the highest rated course in NC, on DGCR. What a great experience to play a great course with your sons!

2) The Discgolfunited event page does not say if you will play to the long or short baskets, and that makes a big difference. The long baskets (blue) are far harder and have much more elevation changes. They would definitely beat up you and your sons. I also have a noodle arm, so I get demoralized by my high scores playing long tees to long baskets.

3) I think it would help you to check out my file on Hole by hole ratings in the Files section. That will give you elevation changes, and also look at the Red Score averages. Be aware that the file is dated, though, because it was uploaded before there were long baskets.

4) If you can in any way weasel your way on to a round at Sugaree, by all means do it! A trifecta of Ashe Co, Black Jack, and Sugaree would be a perfect trifecta of NC mountain disc golf. I like Highland Hills in North Wilkesboro too, and you can find tees there that suit your moods and your games.

-I know this is a tournament, but it's one division so none of you is going to win anything anyway. My favorite way to play Ashe Co is to alternate holes playing short and long tees. Honestly, I would suggest forgetting the tournament and playing Odd holes- Short tees & Even holes- Long tees. That will allow you to play hole 18 from the longs. It may well beat you up, and be ready to spend lots of time looking for your discs before you even get out of the chute in the woods, but that is an epic hole with one of the greatest elevation drops in all of NC! That hole alone is worth the trip.

P.S.- Some unsolicited advice-- if your sons haven't played in the State Games of North Carolina that is a great one day event that they should enjoy.

...Plans are moving ahead to hold the High Country Throwdown this Saturday at Ashe County Park (for free!). My 13- and 14-year old sons are begging me to take them.
If you go, you need to make sure to play hole 11 to the long basket, even if your real score is to the short basket and you play 2 discs. It is one of the most unique holes that I have ever played and very polarizing. You may be with those who hate it, and honestly it probably takes playing it a few time to appreciate it. It is super tough, and you need to help each other by spotting for each other because you have to throw 2 thumbers over high canopy walls. If/when you get off the fairway you are in jail, so even on your drive take it easy and do all you can to stay in the fairway, even if you have to throw a mid.

Wellspring has reopened

Wellspring DGC at Cedarock Park in Burlington has reopened.
Check out this review from the original designer:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1089&mode=rev#84730

To summarize: All the teepads, short and long, have been completely repoured, concrete 6X12s. Trimming of the fairways, tee areas and greens have cut back the summer growth.

So, along with Cedarock, the Figure 8 of 36 holes is open again.

There is also some great history of these courses and DG in the Burlington area, PLUS the carrot on the stick that there may soon be a 3rd permanent course at the park. If you play all three consecutively, would that be a snowman?

Thanks for all you have done Rob Nicks, Alamance P&R and others mentioned, and continue to do. You are all THEY!!

I played Glenburnie Park in New Bern today. It was <chef's kiss>. Made a 60 foot putt, and 2 other C2s to boot.

For those of you on FB, this was posted today by Ace Run Disc Golf Shop:

https://www.facebook.com/acerundiscs/posts/2393502810959317

For those of you not on FB, it is a posting of a Temp course for the Lion or Lamb Invitational tournament this Saturday, 8/8. It is a C-Tier event that is FULL at this time. But, the course can still be played, here is the FB posting:

WEDNESDAY RANDOM DOUBLES🥏⛓:
We have been working hard getting the Wallace Farm Temp Course ready for Saturday's "Lion or Lamb Invitational" PDGA C-Tier! We want you to come out and enjoy the course even if you aren't playing the Lion or Lamb! $5 buy in, $5 ace pool. Wednesday 8-5-20, 5:30 registration, 6:00 start. 4992 Mrs. White Ln Mebane. Look for the Innova banner! We recommend wearing long pants, bringing water and bug spray. A signed waiver is required for all participants and guests. The course will be open all day Friday to the public!

If I get a chance to play the course on Friday, I plan to make a donation to the charity selected. :hfive:

Wellspring DGC at Cedarock Park in Burlington has reopened.
Check out this review from the original designer:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1089&mode=rev#84730

To summarize: All the teepads, short and long, have been completely repoured, concrete 6X12s. Trimming of the fairways, tee areas and greens have cut back the summer growth.

So, along with Cedarock, the Figure 8 of 36 holes is open again.

There is also some great history of these courses and DG in the Burlington area, PLUS the carrot on the stick that there may soon be a 3rd permanent course at the park. If you play all three consecutively, would that be a snowman?

Thanks for all you have done Rob Nicks, Alamance P&R and others mentioned, and continue to do. You are all THEY!!
Rock Creek layout or something drastically different? If they put in Rock Creek it would overlap heavily with the footgolf course they installed.

I doubt the last few Rock Creek layouts could become permanent, they used walking paths and camping areas as fairways on nearly all of the wooded holes. It seems like every year at the tournament, some poor soul tries camping right in the landing zone of that amazing semi-open par 4 by the creek.

Maybe just the open holes of Rock Creek could be worked into something. I do like those holes more than what's at Cedarock.

Zebulon also has a new foot golf course that overlaps with disc golf. I haven't heard of much interference yet, but there's already enough walking traffic there as-is.

I played the "original" course at White Oak River Campground today in Maysville (between Cape Carteret and New Bern). Based on a conversation with Mike, the owner and a disc golfer, I believe the course has been substantially redesigned.

I found it to be quite satisfying to play. A fair course, plenty of distance from the white tees. The pars on the blue tees might be a little generous, but that's just a number. I imagine bigger arms will just play the blues as a par 54. It wends its way through fields and fairly open mature growth trees along side some ponds and the river.

Cool hanging basket on 14, with a nice bridge view of the river as you make your way to the tee.

The course ends a little ho-hum on 15 through 18, but I have a feeling Mike has ideas. He mentioned that he didn't want to put the baskets in concrete so he could move them to give variety to the course He also encouraged me to play some blue tees as if they were 15 through 18.

All in all, well worth $3.

Rock Creek layout or something drastically different? If they put in Rock Creek it would overlap heavily with the footgolf course they installed.

Update on this - I'm now hearing chatter that it really is Rock Creek becoming permanent, and that the wooded holes would be the first to receive teepads. If so, that's great news! Depending on layout details from year to year, Rock Creek is often one of my favorite courses in the state.

I wonder how they'll handle the walking paths and camping areas that interfere then.

I played Middle Creek DGC down in Apex yesterday. I wrote up a review and while I was doing it, I was wondering why my impression was so different from others who have played there. I thought it was a little bit of a train-wreck given all of the other aspects of the multi-use park, but the average review is over 3.

Anyone else played there recently? Looking at the pictures, part of the issue is that the number of fields, sidewalks, etc. in the park have grown by a massive amount since the course went in, so maybe that explains it?

If you are around, DiscGolfCraig, I'm particularly interested in your take, as you seem to have a different opinion.

If you are around, DiscGolfCraig, I'm particularly interested in your take, as you seem to have a different opinion.

When you're writing reviews, you'd earn more respect by not attacking people by name in them. Keep the personal attacks to yourself, or at least out of there.

When you're writing reviews, you'd earn more respect by not attacking people by name in them. Keep the personal attacks to yourself, or at least out of there.

Huh? Who did I attack? Kenan?

I'm genuinely curious what I've missed about the course, because every review of his I've read of a course I've played has been spot on with my impression. He has way more experience than I do, so I respect the difference of opinion and wanted to point out that I may have just missed in my assessment.

But if that's not coming through, maybe I need to edit the review.