• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Has anyone played The Bear in the past year or so? I have been wanting to get out there to play it for years. I have finally started hitting up courses in the Hickory area, and was going to try to play it the next time I drive through the town, but have noticed not so stellar reviews as of late. Was wondering if it was still worth checking out.
The recent reviews on UDisc or the Hickory club's FB page would have the most current conditions.

Speaking of which, I just found out that G-Town DG Club is breaking ground on their new course at Tryon Park this Saturday and are looking for Volunteers.
Where is G-Town? Greensboro? Greenville? Gastonia? Goldsboro?

Gastonia in this case. I believe the club is actually called G Town
I see you've played The Regulator. I got to play it last week. I was pretty impressed, of course we know why it opened at such a high quality (USWDGC), plus there were so many fun, challenging, but fair holes.
What did you think?

I see you've played The Regulator. I got to play it last week. I was pretty impressed, of course we know why it opened at such a high quality (USWDGC), plus there were so many fun, challenging, but fair holes.
What did you think?
I enjoyed it. Really fun Advanced level course. Some of the par 5's were a little soft but they are good holes none the less. It's a great addition to the complex. I really wish Cedarrock was closer to my house. Would love for that to be my local trio of courses.

I'm going to have several hour layover in Charlotte in two weeks, first time in the city!

If the weather's not horrible, I'm going to try to get a round in... the question is..

Nevin or Hornet's Nest? It seems like the consensus (from my limited research) is that Hornet's Nest is slightly prettier, but I'm leaning Nevin because of the Pro Tour Championship being hosted there the last two years. I love getting to play courses that are actively on the Pro Tour. What are your thoughts?

Both of them can be tough, depending on what kind of day you're having off the tee. No question about that.

For a scenic park, Hornets Nest. It's always been a really beautiful place, to me. I like that the front side is more park-style golf, and then you get into the woods on the back side. A nice mix.

Nevin is also in a nice park, but I always feel a little more claustrophobic in there. It's tight and punitive if you're not clean off the tee...

Really can't go wrong with either of them, though. Flip a coin!

I'm going to have several hour layover in Charlotte in two weeks, first time in the city!

If the weather's not horrible, I'm going to try to get a round in... the question is..

Nevin or Hornet's Nest? It seems like the consensus (from my limited research) is that Hornet's Nest is slightly prettier, but I'm leaning Nevin because of the Pro Tour Championship being hosted there the last two years. I love getting to play courses that are actively on the Pro Tour. What are your thoughts?
Both are excellent, challenging courses.
Comes down to personal preference.

Nevin is tight, and feels longer than it is because of the control required. It's the kind of course elmex would love. But objectively, lacks a "healthy" balance between tight and somewhat more open holes. Some might call it repetitive, and they wouldn't be wrong.

Nest has more of a "mix" resulting in a more balanced feel overall. I think most people would say it's the prettier course, but that's more subjective, and due to longer, more scenic sight lines that you just can't get on tighter, well-wooded courses.

I'd say they're both in the 4.25-4.5 range.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the responses. I'm going to lean Nevin, those daunting wooded tracks are some of my favorite. Fingers crossed the weather remains good. I know I'm going to love it and will be definitely be looking for more excuses to pass through Charlotte in the future to play your world-class courses.

Thanks again.

Your biggest issue is going to be what several hours means regarding your layover. It's 25-30 minutes without traffic to get from the airport to Nevin once you're in a vehicle. A round for a first timer is 1-2 hours. Add in the leaf factor of having to search longer for discs. All told, your probably looking 3-4 hours to get there and back.

As @DiscGolfCraig said in his post, I think a lot of it will be determined by how long your actual layover is, and what time you will be in Charlotte. If it is anytime during rush hour, it could take upwards of 30 to 45 minutes to get to the park, depending on traffic situations. I would expect it to normally take 20 to 25 minutes to get there during normal traffic. Even if you get there at a decent time, if you are finishing up anytime around rush hour you can get hosed. Both courses can be long. I personally have always liked Nevin a little bit better than the current iteration of Hornets Nest, and with the final two holes at Hornets Nest being shortened/changed due to construction in the park, I think Nevin would definitely be my course of choice. I think finishing either course in an only an hour during peak leaf fall season would be an aggressive estimation, even if you are familiar with the course.

One benefit to Hornets Nest, is that it does have 9 hole loops meeting back at the parking lot. In fact Hornets Nest can be played 1-7, A & B to create a 9 hole loop. You can then play 8 & 9 and find yourself looped back to the parking lot yet again (making an 11 hole loop). With Nevin your only easy bail out is when finishing Hole 13, and it isn't labeled super well.

Man, speaking of leaves...

We played Hornet's Nest Saturday, and easily lost an hour looking for discs at different points...It didn't help that we had some youngsters with us (one's like 10 or 11, and the other barely 18). It's so hard to keep them focused on watching where their discs land...And to top it off, the older of the two was Lone Wolfing it, so throwing twice from every lie. Lord, it got frustrating. The ground cover out there is no joke right now. Won't be a problem for someone used to tracking their discs, but even then, you sometimes have to literally walk over the thing. Like, one or two more large leaves on it, and it would be invisible.

Leave your orange and red ones in the bag! :D

Latest posts