• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

hey olorin, i'm wanting your professional opinion...coming from Wake Forest, do you think I can make the drive to Burlington to play both Cedarock and Wellspring and then up to Reidsville to play Lake's Edge all in a day? it's gonna be about 200 miles of driving plus at least 1 relatively long course with Cedarock...what do you think, biting off more than i can chew?

If you have MS Streets and Trips I can get you a file with every course in NC, and a bunch of others in the U.S. You could plan a route and answer that in a few minutes... I'll check it...

hey olorin, i'm wanting your professional opinion...coming from Wake Forest, do you think I can make the drive to Burlington to play both Cedarock and Wellspring and then up to Reidsville to play Lake's Edge all in a day? it's gonna be about 200 miles of driving plus at least 1 relatively long course with Cedarock...what do you think, biting off more than i can chew?

Well, there are lots of variables so it's hard to be definitive. It depends on how fast you play and when you start. Will you be by yourself or with friends?

I checked Streets & Trips and you could should be able to make that trip, though.
7:00 a.m. Dep WF
1:15 drive to CR.
4 hrs to play CR and Wellspring. (If a local can show you the "figure 8" it'll save a few minutes)
1:00 drive to Reidsville
2 hrs to play
~3:30 head home
1:45 drive to home

If you could add 45 min of driving I'd highly recomend going to Albemarle, instead. A great course! The drive home would be longer too, though.

thanks man, it's gonna be a long day, but well worth it...i read your review of Lake's Edge, but you like Fox Chase more? i've already got Fox Chase on my next Charlotte loop...I tried to get there last trip to Charlotte but only got Renny, Hornet's nest and half of Reedy Creek before I got rained out...but another trip is in the works...any words of advice for Lake's Edge?

.any words of advice for Lake's Edge?
Be prepared for some unusual routes and layouts.

Reiterating from my review:

You be the judge-
I have great respect for Russell Schwartz' course designs, but I expect that this course will continue to produce some strong reactions, as it already has. Some of the holes have creative design intentions which require uncommon shots. These are intended to add variety, to stretch the boundaries of hole design, to make the best use of the available terrain, and to force a player to think about their shot selection. In addition to the Schwartz signature "L" shaped fairway on hole 7 these unusual holes are 4, 12, 14, 15, 17, and 18. Most of these holes have forced layups which require more accurate, lower power, and shorter shots. Some players will appreciate the creativity and diversity of playing fairways that are different from the norm, while others will be frustrated because the holes don't play the same way that they're used to. Big arms may be especially frustrated when they have to hold back their power on some holes. On a few of these holes (especially 17 and 18) I was baffled how to throw the hole and wondered what the intended shots were. It may have been because I didn't have the skills for certain shots, but several times I couldn't figure out how to make a disc follow the fairway. Personally, I rather liked the unusual holes because for the most part they add variety, but by the end having them on 6 of 18 holes may have been a little too much. I suspect that the typical Advanced (Blue level) player that the course is most suited for may not like these holes as much, so my rating is a little lower because of this.

NC

I can't speak for Reidsville, never played it. I've been in that park, just prior to the course being put in. Fox Chase is a must play if you are in NC. And if ever near the Triangle(Raleigh, Chapel Thrill, Durham) try Buckhorn....to me it's Fox Chase with some water thrown in. And I haven't been to Burlington, but I will be next week....can't wait to try CedarRock and Wellspring on. And there is always Charlotte....

Cedarock & Wellspring= excellent! I played them both for the 1st time at the Sneeky Pete DG tourney back in October '08. I'd like to go back & play a non-tourney round some day.

Buckhorn is a must play if you are in the Raleigh area. Very beautiful course, well thought out. Very challenging. Bring an extra disc cause a couple of the water shots are a little tricky.

You guys really know how to keep a newbie's addiction going.
Lucky we have these top-notch courses close by (with gas prices dropping as well.)

Just finished a round at Renny Original. It was a beautiful day down here, 60 degrees and no wind. Great way to avoid black friday shopping crowds.

Can anyone give me directions to the Barrons? My friends and I looked for it for about an hour and a half. Also, I'm not sure what it means by private course; can anyone explain to me what exactly that means. Can I play it or do I have to be a member of some super secret club?

They've got a few more (new) baskets at Brevard college but no signs or Teepads yet.

The signs for the back nine holes at Brevard College go up Jan. 17th, and from what I heard, they may not be looking at teepads for awhile... Something about the school not wanting 'em. The course is pretty good without them, except when it is soggy. What they need are some stairs leading up to #12 behind Ross Hall at the top of the hill. Overall, it's a fun course for a beginner like me!

Can anyone give me directions to the Barrons? My friends and I looked for it for about an hour and a half. Also, I'm not sure what it means by private course; can anyone explain to me what exactly that means. Can I play it or do I have to be a member of some super secret club?

The Barrons (Private)

(in Vander, east of Fayetteville)
18 Holes

You must contact the owner first for permission to play.

Directions: I-95 to Eastover exit, Exit 56. Take Dunn Rd about a half mile towards Fayetteville. Turn left on Rockhill Rd. Cross two overpass bridges (3 miles) to 473 Rockhill Rd on the right (yellow house).
From Fayetteville: Get on 24 East. After a sign for "I-95 Benson" turn left on Downing Rd. At the stop sign turn right in Rockhill Rd. Cross two overpass bridges (3 miles) to 473 Rockhill Rd on the right (yellow house).

Contact: Byron "Hack" Hackney, 910-483-7860, [email protected]
Cell: 919-815-6474

-----------
These notes were taken from my "NC Course Guide" available in the Files section of my [FONT=&quot]Yahoo group "DG Course Reviews", http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DGCourseReviews. [/FONT]

Also, I'm not sure what it means by private course; can anyone explain to me what exactly that means. Can I play it or do I have to be a member of some super secret club?

The meaning of "Private" varies from course to course. We do have a super secret club with a secret password and a secret handshake, but it's so private that I can't give any details here. (jk :))

The meaning of "Private" varies from course to course. We do have a super secret club with a secret password and a secret handshake, but it's so private that I can't give any details here. (jk :))
If he told you he would have to kill you.

There's not a "super -secret" password....you just have to give the complete answer to "what is Par??"

There's not a "super -secret" password....you just have to give the complete answer to "what is Par??"
:D ! Yup, that's it. Of course that answer means "Gold CR Par", complete with the appropriate lengths for each shot!

I am so glad I stumbled along this page, I live in NC and have been playing for about 6 months. Although I am fortunate enough to call Fox Chase my home course I will use your list to visit some other higher ranking courses!

Thanks

I just played the High Country Disc Golf Course in Jefferson (Ashe County) for the first time and would highly recommend this course. I struggled whether to give it a 4 or 4.5 out of 5 but it's a great experience especially if you love the mountains and are not used to playing mountain courses. Granted everyone has their own opinions but I think its more fun and more challenging than Richmond Hill in Asheville.

Latest posts