• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Don't know if the club/town made a conscious, volitional decision to "abandon" Highland Hills, but a combination of things apply. Two other good courses, storm damage over time, the topography at HH will always dictate some unique maintenance issues (very labor intensive), and the semi-isolated parking area may have attracted illicit parkers. And I think some baskets"walked off". All things that could/would be addressed with motivation.... and nowhere else to play. I for one miss HH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverdog - Olorin is trying to get a hold of you, see his post #400 in this thread.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get in touch with Riverdog to see if I can play Ramcat Ridge this Sunday, 9/18, but I'm not sure if I still have his current phone number. Plus his DGCR mailbox is full, and I can't find him on Facebook.

Riverdog, if you see this would you please let me know the best way to get in touch with you?

He frequents the What are you listening to right now? thread. A post there might get noticed (especially if accompanied by good tunes).:thmbup:

Forest Ridge Park - Wake Forest

UPDATE on Forest Ridge -
The course will be opening again on October 15 with a scheduled run of 6 months, until March 15. This version will be bigger, and better, than the previous 9 hole versions. It will be 18 holes (with one alternate to avoid a water carry), using most of last year's 9 holes and adding several, including 6 Par 4s and a water carry, with the tee shot similar to #10 at Buckhorn.
The tee pads will still be crushed gravel, but enlarged to 6' x 12'.
Be sure to stop by the office and let them know your thoughts on the course. :hfive:

Hopefully, we can promote this to a permanent layout soon, much needed in this area of the Triangle. :thmbup:

The new layout has already been updated here:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13464

The course map is updated here:
https://udisc.com/courses/forest-ridge-park-18-hole-course-vqSf

UPDATE on Forest Ridge -
The course will be opening again on October 15 with a scheduled run of 6 months, until March 15. This version will be bigger, and better, than the previous 9 hole versions. It will be 18 holes (with one alternate to avoid a water carry), using most of last year's 9 holes and adding several, including 6 Par 4s and a water carry, with the tee shot similar to #10 at Buckhorn.
The tee pads will still be crushed gravel, but enlarged to 6' x 12'.
Be sure to stop by the office and let them know your thoughts on the course. :hfive:

Hopefully, we can promote this to a permanent layout soon, much needed in this area of the Triangle. :thmbup:

The new layout has already been updated here:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13464

The course map is updated here:
https://udisc.com/courses/forest-ridge-park-18-hole-course-vqSf

aredoubles, Tripper, kenanflagler01 - or anyone else available - it will be interesting to hear how the 18 hole layout plays. I PMed with the Park employee responsible for the layout and they sounded proud of it. Please and thank you! :)

aredoubles, Tripper, kenanflagler01 - or anyone else available - it will be interesting to hear how the 18 hole layout plays. I PMed with the Park employee responsible for the layout and they sounded proud of it. Please and thank you! :)

I went out and played this on Saturday. It's a pretty sweet course to be honest. In the woods the fairways are narrow and, in true piedmont NC fashion, if you go off the fairway it's pretty dense with a lot of trees and a lot of opportunities for redirected discs. I benefited some from this by getting a favorable kick back onto the fairway or at least mitigating the damage. But I also got wrecked by this on a couple holes as my disc pinballed into a challenging position.

The hole layout was really actually nice, I thought. There were a few holes where it was fairly open but still required a pretty accurate. A lot of the holes had gaps or landing zones that needed to be hit to play for birdie. The variety in distance was really cool too. The short holes had a lot of challenge to them, either the direction of the dogleg or guardian trees to navigate. I forget which hole it was but it I think it was under 275' and it needed a flex forehand (which I don't have) but it's such a short distance that even accomplish that would require a good amount of touch.

I didn't really feel like any of the holes were particularly easy and guaranteed birdies or anything like that. I really liked the par 4's that were created. They all had specific landing zones that couldn't be bypassed. But, unlike Diavolo (in my opinion), the first shot usually required me discing down to a putter or midrange and working on getting the power right and angle right. I really appreciated how thought provoking this course was. I'm not saying Diavolo isn't a tough course but the fairways are fairly wide in most cases and generally forgiving even if going off the fairway. This course is definitely shorter but every bit as challenging in different ways.

All that and I haven't mentioned what I think is the signature hole...Hole 10. This is a super cool hole that gives you two options. First is a ~250' water carry that, when thrown rhbh, should fade back into the tree-line and (hopefully) onto the fairway. If done well there was still a tricky shot required to go for birdie. There is a second option for a 340' water carry that is directly inline with the basket. As the disc fades toward the tree-line there is an opening for it to pass through and skip up to the basket. I was feeling particularly adventurous and attempted this route. I nailed it except that my throw was a bit low...The beach on the lake is about 3-4' lower than the fairway in all locations and it's just a straight wall so if the shot goes too low the sand will snag it or it will crash into the face of the wall. But one upshot later (fairly simple) and I was a tap in for birdie.

I was really really impressed with this course and sincerely wish it would become permanent. I understand the reasons for keeping it temporary but this was really a treat and I will be going out there as much as I can. I think this course is really unique in the raleigh-durham area.

I went out and played this on Saturday. It's a pretty sweet course to be honest. In the woods the fairways are narrow and, in true piedmont NC fashion, if you go off the fairway it's pretty dense with a lot of trees and a lot of opportunities for redirected discs. I benefited some from this by getting a favorable kick back onto the fairway or at least mitigating the damage. But I also got wrecked by this on a couple holes as my disc pinballed into a challenging position.

The hole layout was really actually nice, I thought. There were a few holes where it was fairly open but still required a pretty accurate. A lot of the holes had gaps or landing zones that needed to be hit to play for birdie. The variety in distance was really cool too. The short holes had a lot of challenge to them, either the direction of the dogleg or guardian trees to navigate. I forget which hole it was but it I think it was under 275' and it needed a flex forehand (which I don't have) but it's such a short distance that even accomplish that would require a good amount of touch.

I didn't really feel like any of the holes were particularly easy and guaranteed birdies or anything like that. I really liked the par 4's that were created. They all had specific landing zones that couldn't be bypassed. But, unlike Diavolo (in my opinion), the first shot usually required me discing down to a putter or midrange and working on getting the power right and angle right. I really appreciated how thought provoking this course was. I'm not saying Diavolo isn't a tough course but the fairways are fairly wide in most cases and generally forgiving even if going off the fairway. This course is definitely shorter but every bit as challenging in different ways.

All that and I haven't mentioned what I think is the signature hole...Hole 10. This is a super cool hole that gives you two options. First is a ~250' water carry that, when thrown rhbh, should fade back into the tree-line and (hopefully) onto the fairway. If done well there was still a tricky shot required to go for birdie. There is a second option for a 340' water carry that is directly inline with the basket. As the disc fades toward the tree-line there is an opening for it to pass through and skip up to the basket. I was feeling particularly adventurous and attempted this route. I nailed it except that my throw was a bit low...The beach on the lake is about 3-4' lower than the fairway in all locations and it's just a straight wall so if the shot goes too low the sand will snag it or it will crash into the face of the wall. But one upshot later (fairly simple) and I was a tap in for birdie.

I was really really impressed with this course and sincerely wish it would become permanent. I understand the reasons for keeping it temporary but this was really a treat and I will be going out there as much as I can. I think this course is really unique in the raleigh-durham area.

Thanks a lot SF - looks like you can copy and paste that into a Course Review!! :D
As many rounds that Diavolo has gotten since it opened, I'm sure that has helped beat down the rough. But this course, carved out of some pretty old-growth forest, will take a while to beat in, even if they keep this layout.
Thanks for the reply, it sounds like this will be a tough, challenging course. :clap:

Great new video by aredoubles...fly through at Rolling Pines !

...We love seeing folks from DGCR, especially when we know they are coming !
Does anyone from DGCR want to meet me at Sugaree this Sunday Oct 23? If the weather is clear then I'm going! Please message me if you want to go. It would be great to have a spotter with the fall leaves, but if I play solo I will play "Olorin's Favorite 18".

Does anyone from DGCR want to meet me at Sugaree this Sunday Oct 23? If the weather is clear then I'm going! Please message me if you want to go. It would be great to have a spotter with the fall leaves, but if I play solo I will play "Olorin's Favorite 18".

Hate I missed this. I was up at Black Jack this Saturday.

So, if I can only squeeze in one big, "pro level" course in the Charlotte area, which one should it be?

I have Hornets Nest penciled in for now but are there better options?

My wife and I will be playing mostly smaller, shorter courses because they agree more with her health but I always get to play one "real" course when we travel.

So, if I can only squeeze in one big, "pro level" course in the Charlotte area, which one should it be?

My wife and I will be playing mostly smaller, shorter courses because they agree more with her health but I always get to play one "real" course when we travel.

I liked Nevin and Renaissance Gold better than Hornets Nest. But, I don't think you would be disappointed in HN. I think most Charlotte courses have a similar flavor. Renny Gold is a bit different. I would not discount Angry Beaver either. It also has a smaller brother on site in Eager Beaver Have fun. This is a TERRIFIC mecca.

I personally like Nevin better than Nest. Nest can be a tough course to navigate your first time so it might not be a great place to go if you are on a time crunch.

I personally like Nevin better than Nest. Nest can be a tough course to navigate your first time so it might not be a great place to go if you are on a time crunch.

I haven't played Nevin, but loved Hornets Nest.

Echoing BT43 on Renny, Gold is a LONG layout, essentially covering two other courses, Pro Player and Renske. And it plays out, then turns around and comes back, so it does take some time. Plus, with the overlapping courses, the signage can be confusing. But its been several years since I was at Renny, so that may be cleared up.

danhyzer is playing Sugaree for the first time, friday at noon (10/28). His course count is 2145. I'm sure he would appreciate another set of eyes, if anyone is in the area and available to join him.

Sugaree

Hate I missed this. I was up at Black Jack this Saturday.
I hate this too because it would have been fun to share the fairways with you! We still have never played a course together. On Sunday the weather was glorious, and I achieved my hope of not losing a disc in the leaves. As always, Sugaree refreshed my spirit.

danhyzer is playing Sugaree for the first time, friday at noon (10/28). His course count is 2145. I'm sure he would appreciate another set of eyes, if anyone is in the area and available to join him.
Dan and I shared the fairways at Torma Town on Weds and had lots of fun. He is a very cogenial playing partner with tons of experience. Danhyzer parked hole 11 right under the hanging basket for a tap in birdie. Almost all of his drives were right down the center, so his game is super consistent. That will serve him well at Sugaree.