• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

I finally got a chance to drive over to the Shelby area and play the courses out there. I was pleasantly surprised/impressed by Wolfman Woods. Although I was having one of those rare days where I felt like I was just playing incredibly well, I thought the design and maintenance of the course were really on point. I think it may have found it's way into my Top 10 favorite courses. Felt like a nice compliment to Gardner-Webb too!

Either way, playing there has definitely rekindled my interest in playing more of the courses around the state.

Speaking of Torma Town shutting down again (for good this time), and RL Smith closing again for the greenway construction, isn't Charlotte losing Robbins too pretty soon?

Attachments

• 20230826_100252.jpg
    20230826_100252.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_100959.jpg
    20230826_100959.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_101020.jpg
    20230826_101020.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When is RL Smith supposed to shut down? I haven't played it this year and planned to head out there soon. Hoping the rough on the front half isn't as bad as last time I played.....

I must have picked a good time of year to play Cornelius because the rough wasn't bad at all when I played.

When is RL Smith supposed to shut down? I haven't played it this year and planned to head out there soon. Hoping the rough on the front half isn't as bad as last time I played.....

I must have picked a good time of year to play Cornelius because the rough wasn't bad at all when I played.
According to the R.L. Smith Volunteer FB page,at least 6 baskets have already been pulled, as well as the temp pads, which I think probably extends to a couple more holes. @1978 or @david W would both probably know more than me though.

A while back, after noticing a skew in favoritism towards Patriot DGC from non-TR reviews, I became interested in the difference between course ratings of Trusted Reviewers and the other reviewers for NC courses. I wanted to see if that trend continued on more open courses, as opposed to wooded courses. From the results, it does look like hilly, wooded courses tend to score better from Trusted Reviewers. Though some, like Cornelius Rd Park and Stumpy Creek, probably suffer from undergoing redesigns without receiving a new page. It was also interesting to see a decent number of Charlotte courses tend to score better from TRs than they do from other reviewers.

In case anyone wants to look at the numbers for the courses I looked at here is an, as of today, updated spreadsheet:

North Carolina Course Review Deviation

A while back, after noticing a skew in favoritism towards Patriot DGC from non-TR reviews, I became interested in the difference between course ratings of Trusted Reviewers and the other reviewers for NC courses. I wanted to see if that trend continued on more open courses, as opposed to wooded courses. From the results, it does look like hilly, wooded courses tend to score better from Trusted Reviewers. Though some, like Cornelius Rd Park and Stumpy Creek, probably suffer from undergoing redesigns without receiving a new page. It was also interesting to see a decent number of Charlotte courses tend to score better from TRs than they do from other reviewers.

In case anyone wants to look at the numbers for the courses I looked at here is an, as of today, updated spreadsheet:

North Carolina Course Review Deviation
This is quite interesting. Well done on this analysis!

How did you get the "Other reviewers" average? I'm not aware of how to separate out the TR ratings from the rest. Did you do that manually or is there a way to filter the ratings to show this?

I think it's a safe hypothesis that non-TR (Other) reviewers have less experience rating courses than TRs.
(Corollary: The higher the TR level the more extensive the reviewing experience. e.g.- Diamond has reviewed more than Bronze.)
Am I missing anything with this assumption?

This is quite interesting. Well done on this analysis!

How did you get the "Other reviewers" average? I'm not aware of how to separate out the TR ratings from the rest. Did you do that manually or is there a way to filter the ratings to show this?
I did it all manually. When I first looked into it, I think selecting the "Trusted Reviewer Only" option removed non TR's from the graph, which made things much easier. But I just counted the TR reviews and then subtracted them from the totals. Have plans to look at a few more courses, but mainly stuck to ones I've played, ones that seem fairly popular, and/or courses that have a reputation.

I think it's a safe hypothesis that non-TR (Other) reviewers have less experience rating courses than TRs.
(Corollary: The higher the TR level the more extensive the reviewing experience. e.g.- Diamond has reviewed more than Bronze.)
Am I missing anything with this assumption?
I think it is likely a safe hypothesis. That is probably why the TR scores tend to have a tighter grouping. For instance, when I first looked at the numbers a year or so ago, Dry Creek had the same rating among TR and Non-TRs at 3.818181, but the Non-TRs had a much wider spread.

The only real argument againsts it would be:
  1. The number of reviews written doesn't always correlate with the number of courses played.
  2. It is possible to have written plenty of reviews, but not have the TR status.
Obviously neither are great arguments, because TR have proven their ability to write reviews that are deemed helpful by the community, and tend to try to remain subjective while doing so. So while there are likely to be outliers in both groups of reviewers, I think the statement is likely true in most cases.

I will probably try to go through a couple more courses sometime soon. I just find the differences kind of interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if overall course difficulty/scoring opportunities plays a role in non-TR scores. I know The Rock at Stonewall almost half a point better by TRs- I imagine if it would be easy to be less enthused about a 12,000' course if you didn't have a big arm.

It's also interesting that Richmond Hill has 41 more reviews than the course with the second most reviews in the state.

Last edited:
According to the R.L. Smith Volunteer FB page,at least 6 baskets have already been pulled, as well as the temp pads, which I think probably extends to a couple more holes. @1978 or @david W would both probably know more than me though.
We pulled like 5 baskets and 6 tees but have plans after the Tour championship to add some fun holes to make 18 while construction does its thing. Then there will be a redesign to final layout. It all takes volunteers.

Recently, I was finally able to get out to play Sugaree. Absolutely beautiful course that I regret not playing sooner. Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from that trip.

Attachments

• IMG_8231.jpg
    IMG_8231.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230916_114730.jpg
    20230916_114730.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Ashton Park in Asheville has a new six hole course.
I played Aston yesterday (Sunday). It's a pretty park, but the tees are not marked at all. Having 3 sets of color coded and marked landscaping flags would make navigating the 3 layouts SO much easier!

There were also several homeless people in the park and a small homeless encampment to the right of basket 1. Not being sure about what they might do I kept my radar on alert, so that was a bit uncomfortable. Tee 18 is right near a pavilion where a couple of homeless men were camped out.

Has anyone played The Bear in the past year or so? I have been wanting to get out there to play it for years. I have finally started hitting up courses in the Hickory area, and was going to try to play it the next time I drive through the town, but have noticed not so stellar reviews as of late. Was wondering if it was still worth checking out.