• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Northern Michigan Weekend Trip Suggestions?

sparty

A group of 8-10 of us always go up to Ludington in July every year. We usually do this:

Friday: Morning round at Whitehall. Setup camp at mason county park and do night round at Beauty.

Saturday: Beast and maybe Beauty or another course like Leviathan. (we play 2)

Sunday: Flip city

We all love this trip but we have done it for several years and I wanted to try some new courses. anyone have any suggestions on a new route somewhere in the state? We like to play 2 courses Friday and Sat, then one coming home Sunday.

Would be great if we could camp in cabins, but tent camping is also fine.

Tell me where you all disc for a weekend trip in Michigan! BTW, we are from Kalamazoo so we have a ton of nice courses we play around here.

Not exactly northern, but plenty of options in the area around (and especially North of) Ann Arbor. Hudson Mills, Kensington, Independence Lake to name a few gooders...

I don't necessarily think you'll find "better" courses than those, but if your looking for change of pace, I'd recommend these:

Whiskey Hills close to Ludington. Don't let the ratings fool you. The owner may be a twit, and people have had some issues, but the course itself is pretty spectacular.

These are a bit further away, but still excellent discing:
Hickory Hills
Wild Haven Yettisberg
... and while I haven't played it I've heard very good things about Mt McSauba from people whose opinions I trust.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think you'll find "better" courses than those, but if your looking for change of pace, I'd recommend these:

Whiskey Hills close to Ludington. Don't let the ratings fool you. The owner may be a twit, and people have had some issues, but the course itself is pretty spectacular.

Hickory Hills
Wild Haven Yettisberg
... and while I haven't played it I've heard very good things about Mt McSauba from people whose opinions I trust.

Mt McSauba is a nice course, played that last year while at a friends wedding for the weekend. Was TOUGH! Not easy to navigate either but was an excellent course.

Thx for the other suggestions! We may try some of those new ones out!

Whiskey Hills has ski hill like elevation... it can tire you out as well.

Yikes....Michigan is a pretty good disc golf state. Pick a state park and start looking for courses with the features here. Want my advice. Go to Boyne Mountain and stay. Several bars and restaurants right on site. Golf at one of the good course around all day, jump in the pool for after round drinks. Walk to dinner/bar and back home. Repeat. Golf will not be as stellar as Ludington.....but, few places around the state (country) are. Golf is not too bad either. (including another shot at McSauba). It is worth playing every year!!!!

have been dreaming about getting back to mason county since I left last October.

nothing to add because I make the same trip in july as well. so I got a lot of stones to turn over as well.

for what's it worth I played a course in maple city, can't recall name. it is close to sleeping bear dunes. the course was a solid four. never made it to sleeping bear.

the night I played the local league was their and got to play in the league. and my partner was like go to the look out point on the dunes, etc.. man, if it weren't a weeknight I'd take you up their myself.

yeah, good stuff. hope to hit the lotto and buy a summer home up their to specifically just dg, drink micro and kick back.

As Bogey said, Hickory Hills is fantastic. One of the most beautiful courses in the area. Challenging wooded course with a lot of elevation change. Hole... 19 I wanna say, is on a huge hill overlooking Traverse City and Grand Traverse Bay. Flippin' gorgeous. Definitely worth the trip up from Ludington.

Any good spots to camp near Ludington? or even Traverse?

Yes.....both. I mean, it is hard to give you advice without knowing what you considers good camping. There are KOA's with nearly every amenity known to man. State Parks that offer a ton, State Forest Campgrounds offering a more rustic opportunity or you could pull permit from the DNR and just go camp on some State Land. Mason County has a campground across the street from the courses. Ludington State Park is the State's busiest State Park, I find some of the rules and crowds a bit tedious. If you can do without electricity or flush toilets, State Forest Campgrounds are terrific.

A campground with showers is always nice! But a clean river will do the trick as well. We like to stay in Mason County Parks campground, unfortunately the sites we like were booked already... Looking for a new place for a new adventure!

Hickory Hills
Wild Haven Yettisberg

I'm planning a trip to Michigan and spoke with the Yetisburg guy. He informed me that Hickory Hills may be closed or partially closed for a portion of the summer due to course work. Just a heads up. I'd contact a local before driving all the way there to find it isn't playable.