• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Northern Virginia Course Due Diligence

epetchnut

Hi Everyone, First time poster.

Have 115 acre farm near harpers ferry in loudoun county brew and wine trail. It is located next to a 800 acre state park with miles of trails. Our farm has an extensive network of timber road trails and 8000 feet of piney run creek running through the property. Lots of wooded areas and topographic changes. We are looking into a backpack brewery on site of big barn. And, wondering of a disc golf course running through the 40 acres of woods would in this area of washington dc would be of interest to the player community. I've played in the woods before and really enjoyed it, especially during the heat of the summer. Attached are two aerial photos of the property.

Any reaction would be appreciated.

Attachments

• disc2 copy.jpg
    disc2 copy.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 37
  • disc1 copy.jpg
    disc1 copy.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 33
Your best bet is to reach out to the LOCO disc club. I am sure they can help you with gauging interest and help you with planning.

http://www.locodiscgolf.com/

I am not sure if you are aware but they are currently working on a course at Freedom Center off of Route 15.

Personally speaking it hard for me to get that far north during the work week due to traffic. I am looking forward to more courses south of Leesburg. The county will eventually be putting in a new course at Hanson Park near boardlands Just north of route 50.

https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=2652

The answer is simple, if you build it they will come.

Slightly more complex answer is, if you build a great course, with variety, challenge, and well designed holes (especially with a brewery); they will come again and again.

There are some very good designers in your area that should be able to walk the property and give you a quick feasibility / possibility of the land available. At least one of whom has built some amazing courses not too terribly far away.

While I am certainly looking forward to the course at Freedom Center, I would certainly welcome and support additional courses here in Loudoun. Add a brewery to that and I will be there every weekend.

I would be interested in a challenging, well-designed course in that area. Its proximity to population centers like DC and Baltimore, and their suburbs/commuters, is favorable. If you pursue this option, I highly recommend spending a little extra to hire an experienced professional course designer--their knowledge will help provide a safe and fun layout beyond what an average golfer would create. Biscoe is an excellent local designer, and there are others nearby as well.

Excited to see and hear about your progress!

wondering of a disc golf course running through the 40 acres of woods would in this area of washington dc would be of interest to the player community.

Yes. The biggest complaint about Loudoun's existing course is that it's too open. The Loco disc golf community is starved for a more wooded option (thus the Freedom Center). If you build a course there, it will be played.

First answer: Yes.

Second answer: Yes, though if you're looking for a certain (high) number of paying players, maybe not.

If it's a good or great course, people will play it and love it. If you're hoping for a significant revenue, you might find they don't play it as often as you'd hope.

Latest posts