• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Not digging the Star Valkyrie

breynnmike

Birdie Member
So for almost 13 years I've been a huge fan of the Valkyrie disc. I've been using mainly a CE Valkyrie, a Champion Tie Dye Valkyrie, a Pro Valkyrie and a Glow DX Valkyrie. I figured that I had the extra cash and thought a Star Valkyrie may be awesome, so I bought one. I just don't know about that plastic. Almost feels like a Pro plastic but even a hair worse. What's the story here? Is this a disc that needs to be broken in? Is the main part of the high price the fact the disc takes tree hits like a champ? I'm hoping my opinion changes after more frequent use.

Yeah. this is a break in disc fro me, I dislike the feel of star and champ initially, but they are my go to discs after a little but. Didn't take too long for me to break in me star plastics to where I like them.

Definitely a break in disc, but Star Valks in the sweet spot are amazing discs and they stay in that sweet spot for a long time.

If you really don't like the disc you can just send it my way.;)

So for almost 13 years I've been a huge fan of the Valkyrie disc. I've been using mainly a CE Valkyrie, a Champion Tie Dye Valkyrie, a Pro Valkyrie and a Glow DX Valkyrie. I figured that I had the extra cash and thought a Star Valkyrie may be awesome, so I bought one. I just don't know about that plastic. Almost feels like a Pro plastic but even a hair worse. What's the story here? Is this a disc that needs to be broken in? Is the main part of the high price the fact the disc takes tree hits like a champ? I'm hoping my opinion changes after more frequent use.

Star does break in. You might find that the Starlite fits more of what you were expecting in terms of flight characteristics. I hated losing my nicely working Star Valkyrie. Replacements just didn't work until I got a Starlite one.

There are also a bunch of unmarked plus mold Star Valkyries out there that are a lot more stable than the numbers indicate.

^All the new ones that don't have Sandstroms name are stiff, domey as heck and are plus molds. They are all stable, not what your looking for in a valkyrie. I know I was shocked how crappy it felt in my hand. I just went to my local play it again and found a beat in used on that was older. They do the trick. Like I always say, you find something you like buy 5-10 of them because ya never know when innova will retool the molds.

^All the new ones that don't have Sandstroms name are stiff, domey as heck and are plus molds. They are all stable, not what your looking for in a valkyrie. I know I was shocked how crappy it felt in my hand. I just went to my local play it again and found a beat in used on that was older. They do the trick. Like I always say, you find something you like buy 5-10 of them because ya never know when innova will retool the molds.
I always stock extras of favorite discs. Makes more practice throws easier with it, plus back-ups if I lose one, or if big tree hits mess up how it flies for me.

Nice bump.

I'd still say a nice fresh star valk is pretty stable for most players. And now you can bump up to halo star if you want a bit more stability...

Nice bump.

I'd still say a nice fresh star valk is pretty stable for most players. And now you can bump up to halo star if you want a bit more stability...
I've got two old patent no. champ Valks I found in the used bin in various places and they're very workable but not crazy understable. I wanted to pick up something to compliment them on the more OS end and on the recommendations of DGCR users got a halo Valk and it flies how I think a CD1 or Dynasty might fly. Really underrated.

That aside, I've found the regular star somehow less reliable compared to the halo and champ. They're a little more angle sensitive; too much hyzer and they don't want to move. Too little and they flip right over. The champ ones I have are more predictable for me.

There are so many Valks produced. I find both Champ and Star are produced in a wide variety of: dominess, wing height, wing flatness.

Halo star this far has at least been fairly consistent with slightly above average dome and wing height (from what I've seen). But that could be there just haven't been years of runs and plastic supply changes.

Latest posts