• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not much money producing tournament videos?

Because they don't want to feed the trolls and since they don't have day jobs where they sit locked at a desk they have better things to do with their time

LOL yeah self promotion and moving company product for profits sounds like a huge waste of time for a pro disc golfer.

LOL yeah self promotion and moving company product for profits sounds like a huge waste of time for a pro disc golfer.

You really think posting on some random thread on a forum is going to move that many discs that it makes a difference? Their time would be much better spent posting on facebook or instagram and obviously they would agree since almost none of them post on here.

Lol. Oook! So do it on xyz platform but not abc...

No not on xyz platform since but yes on Facebook and instagram since those are real places that lots of people see. A random post in a random thread here will be seen by what 10-20 people? Most of whom already have picked their company to fanboy over and won't be swayed anyways.

I feel like I'm a pretty avid disc golf video watcher (pretty much watch all new stuff, day of release), but I don't see a scenario where I'd pay to see the videos a week earlier...especially when most of them are released well after the actual event.

Overall views would go down and popularity would wain, meantime a free, possibly lower quality video would garner more views and possibly have a higher chance of the said sponsorship.

I think the thread has run it's course, but I will close with I wasn't thinking just any video could work in this format, mainly just the really polished videos with good graphics, cut scenes, pro commentary, etc, plus it would need to be a major event with the top guys playing, etc, etc. At that point there probably is no other video competition to worry about. That's when something like this might bring in some extra revenue by releasing it for a week or so as a ppv before releasing it the general public for free.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict something like this (or exactly like this) is going to happen within the next year. :D It really shouldn't cost them a penny more to do this. "It will cost them views, I'll stop watching their videos, etc, etc" rrrright....you'll still watch the videos, just perhaps 1-2 weeks later than usual. ;)

I don't think it's a bad idea honestly. Yeah they probably aren't going to get thousands of buyers, but even if 200 people in the whole world pay $5 to view it right away, that's a win.

I think the goal of tournament coverage at this point is more so for promotional purposes, but the creators probably wouldn't mind being reimbursed some of their expenses. As long as the content is eventually uploaded for free, then all the benefits of exposure are still there. Someone not involved with disc golf who stumbles across a youtube video doesn't care if they're watching a tournament from last week or one from a year ago. The hardcore players who want to see it but not pay will still watch it eventually

I participate in another niche sport that has gone the same route in the last few years. Video coverage was free for as long as youtube has been around but in the last 2-3 years, premium content has gone to the PPV system and has been a great success despite the initial complaints of many who aren't willing to pay. They actually wait about a year before finally uploading the content to youtube (which would be too long in our case) and other than the initial outcry, people have learned to live with it. It's a sport with significantly less money in it than disc golf does (which says a lot).

Until the PPV system came out, the top professionals made roughly $0. Currently the money from each PPV sale is split evenly between the athlete and the videographer, they aren't making much but now at least the athletes are making something and the content creators who were also just donating their time, film equipment, etc are at least able to cover some expenses. Sure, there will always be that guy who buys it and passes it around to his friends, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who are happy to toss the cost of a beer towards a sport they enjoy. Even if 100 people buy it and pass it on to another 100 people, that's still 100 more paying than if the content had just been uploaded to youtube straight away.

I really don't see a downside to this model unless you're someone who doesn't want to or is unable to pay for content (which I can respect), but creating a system where more people are being compensated for their contribution to disc golf only allows them to donate more time to their efforts which would create more and better content. Surely there will be a massive outcry at first but after a while people will adjust and I believe the sport will be better off as a whole after a while

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad idea honestly. Yeah they probably aren't going to get thousands of buyers, but even if 200 people in the whole world pay $5 to view it right away, that's a win.
Is it? $1000 bucks doesn't even cover the man hours for 1 person. In exchange you get an irritated audience that most likely won't care about your video when you release it a week(s) later.

At this point, PPV seems like a step backwards for disc golf. We've been through those days already (Clash DVD's, DGPlanet, etc). People don't pay. Everybody on this board, of course, will give you the 'if-only-they-would-take-my-money-please' routine. But when it actually comes to talking with their wallet.... ::crickets::

Patreon is the best way to support these creators. Its reliable and steady income.

Patreon is the best way to support these creators. Its reliable and steady income.

CCDG has a store as well, which is how I try to give back to them, buying hats and discs. The merchandise is quite awesome in its own right, and hopefully marked up enough to give some profit back. Honestly, my CCDG hats are the best, if only they made me putt better :eek:

http://centralcoastdg.com/shop/

Last edited: