• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nuke OS & SS

If I asked Kenny what his "most stable" disc is, he's going to tell me Firebird and not Teebird. I'm not using this to prove right or wrong, just to prove that there is more than one accepted way to describe discs with these terms. If someone called CDGS and said they wanted the most stable driver we have, and we sent them a Teebird, 9/10 people are going to be pissed.

True zero turn zero fade discs don't exist. It takes a thrower with good form to make a disc fly anywhere close to this ideal. However, anyone can throw a really understable disc and have it turn right, and throw a really overstable disc and have it turn left. That's why I don't use the word stable to describe a disc that flies straight for me. More stable means more resistance to turning at high speed for me. Although I do usually try and be more specific and say HSS and LSS.

As a nit pick i would imagine that a snap dominant thrower could throw a seasoned good DX Roc flat and not have it turn and not fade with enough power on a head high throw. So there might just be a perfectly neutral stable disc for some flight lines and distances. Provided one has world class form.

JR said:
As a nit pick i would imagine that a snap dominant thrower could throw a seasoned good DX Roc flat and not have it turn and not fade with enough power on a head high throw. So there might just be a perfectly neutral stable disc for some flight lines and distances. Provided one has world class form.

These shots happen to be my specialty, so I definitely know it's possible. My worn in Vector, thrown fairly hard and flat will hold the line at 10' of height until it hits the ground without turning or fading at all...However, put a degree of hyzer on the release and the flight is a little different, so it's still a skill as many cannot throw a disc completely flat.

Back to the topic...I'm thinking Discraft is doing something in the molding process to ensure the flatness of the NukeOS/SS because they are so uniformly flat with a small degree of variance. I've suspected they've been doing this to the Buzzzes for a long time as well.

discspeed said:
JR said:

These shots happen to be my specialty, so I definitely know it's possible. My worn in Vector, thrown fairly hard and flat will hold the line at 10' of height until it hits the ground without turning or fading at all...However, put a degree of hyzer on the release and the flight is a little different, so it's still a skill as many cannot throw a disc completely flat.

Flat throws are my faves as well.

Maybe we use it incorrectly here, but we say stable is straight, "more stable" is a relative term depending on the examples. "a new rr is more stable than a beat one, a flat firebird is more stable than a flat t-bird." ect.

Kind of like saying a disc has more dome, it could mean a slight dome or a huge dome depending on what discs are being compared.

So I finally gave a nuke SS some throws this weekend and I'm not really seeing the point of this disc. It is flippier and doesn't have very good glide. I would rather just throw an X nuke for the spot the nuke SS is supposed to fill.

Yeah, they suck for about anything other than low power, low ceiling drives. They won't glide on an anhyzer and are squirrely when thrown with the extreme hyzer you have to put on them to throw them with any power. Perhaps it would be a killer tailwind distance roller with that profile.

So, this past weekend, I got a round in with a couple of guys that were throwing the Nuke OS for thumbers. Now, I have played quite a few rounds with these guys in the past when they were thumbing Firebirds out around 300-320. The first one I saw thrown with the OS convinced me enough to get one in the bag as they put it within putting range on hole 7 at Big Creek(Was probably about 350 ft., give or take about 10 ft. And this was a "controlled" thumber).

Several people have written that the Nuke OS flies farther than FBs, XXX's and RESPECTis on thumbers, but on every single throw I've seen by anyone that just flip faster than those discs. Perhaps it's just that much faster that it flies long on a powerful chuck even without the extra carry provided by the slow turn?

jubuttib said:
Several people have written that the Nuke OS flies farther than FBs, XXX's and RESPECTis on thumbers, but on every single throw I've seen by anyone that just flip faster than those discs. Perhaps it's just that much faster that it flies long on a powerful chuck even without the extra carry provided by the slow turn?

Perhaps it's being thrown on a lower trajectory?

The nukeOS indeed is a long thumber disc despite it does its rotation pretty fast. I throw it more easily to my max thumber distance than I do XXXs or Respectis.

discspeed said:
jubuttib said:
Perhaps it's being thrown on a lower trajectory?
I'd need to see it for myself, I've only read about it. For me with my puny weakling thumbers, discs that flip fast work better on higher lines (they have no carry and a higher trajectory gives them more time in the air) and discs that flip slower work better on lower lines (they stall quickly on high lines but can fly on lower lines nicely because of the added carry).

A couple of big thumber guys around here throw the NukeOS as their thumber disc and they can bomb it. Maybe you need a certain level of power with the thumber before you notice the difference.

They rotate too fast for them to be useful for me on overhands. I prefer a disc with a smaller rim as well.

These guys were throwing them on the same trajectory that they would throw their firebirds on. And these weren't flipping fast either. It had a fairly close resemblance to what a flat top 11x would look like for a thumber flight.

All the firebirds I've ever seen haven't been that slow to do the flip. Only two discs I've seen that are actually slow in my opinion are XXX and the slowest, premium respecti.

Haven't seen a Firebird that flips slowly either, but then again I haven't seen a flat 11x FB that is most often recommended for thumbers.

..I like the Nuke OS as a thumber disc up to about 350Ft controlled shots. I only use it for thumbers or extreme hyzer line shots.

..I can get more d out of an xXx, but the OS has an uncanny ability to bounce and stick near the basket. It hits and just flips.

What do you guys think of the NukeOS, Z Nuke and X Nuke as the Max D setup? Is the OS enough to replace the Predator? I've been struggling to find the good flat Preds lately.

I think it'd work pretty damn well myself.

Just for reference, I mainly throw Teebirds off the tee from 325 to 400ft.

Latest posts