• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oakland, SF, Petaluma- Xmas in California

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Flying out right now and will be in town for 10 days. Plan on hitting up Aquatic and Golden Gate parks for sure. Any others easy to access or worth making a trip to? Hello sunshine goodbye snow'

Let's hear it No.Cali dgers whats the 411 with the scene and area.

Aquatic is nice, but a disc eater (water) when the wind is cranking, but tends not to be an issue this time of year. Depends on how far you want to drive? If you do, your best bet is a fun day in Santa Cruz (2hrs south west). De La, Pinto, and Black Mouse are about 20 min apart. Plus you can spend some downtime and enjoy Santa Cruz. Although the board walk will be closed.
Other must plays are Stafford Lake (30 to 40 min north of S.F.) and Skyline Wilderness (about an hour +). Skyline is a sidearm or lefty dream come true.
Enjoy your visit! you picked a killer week to be here! sun, sun, sun more sun!

Thanks a lot for the info! Weather does look beautiful hopefully i can get this casper look some color lol. Probably wont make it to s.cruz that far out but we will see.

Is stafford a pain to navigate 1st time or with noobs? Cousins might tag along..

Rescue hit on pretty much everything.

Santa Cruz is where it's at, but I understand if its too far out of the way.

Stafford Lake(Novato) is a bit tricky to navigate at points if you've never been there, but if you bring a map (they usually have them at hole 1, you pull in, park and walk down the paved trail until you see stairs and the sign w/ brochures). I am gonna be there next weekend sometime hopefully if weather permits. New players dont like this course because of the length, personally its one of my favorites.

Only played skyline once so I can't say much about it, but I drank a fair amount of beer and had a good time.

Moraga is a fun nine hole course that is somewhat challenging, also the new walnut creek course is close to that one. Played Walnut Creek for the first time yesterday and it's a very small course with lots of intersecting fairways, pretty easy overall (shot even and -1 the two rounds I played)

Do *not* play San Ramon, its a tiny course crammed onto one hillside. Aquatic is my second least favorite course in the area.

If you play Chabot Park make sure to play all of the alternate tees to make it worth your time. This is the closest course to me and if you played by the signs you can use a midrange/putter on almost every shot, so stick to the alternates.

San Jose has Hellyer Park and Parque La Raza within a mile of it, both 9 hole courses and good fun. Hellyer has some nice elevation changes and is typically windy at spots, they did well planning with the somewhat limited terrain. La Raza is more challenging and has some longer holes. I lived in San Jose for awhile and there are a lot of cool players on the SVDGC~

If you have any questions on the bay area courses you can pm me, I tend to bounce around to them all. Have a good time!

Last edited:
One more thing, if you are going to play Golden Gate Park I would try to go early. It's an awesome course but can be a bit backed up at times~

Wow thanks!! Ill be in town for a while so for sure will holler' always great to have the local input when never played a course b4.. This site doesn't always do them justice lol..

You should just man up and make a 6 hour drive up here to Humboldt. Get a hold of Caleb and you might be lucky enough to get to play Birds Of Paradise.

^Dude is right, IF your lucky enough, in all seriousness if you can arrange a time to play BOP is worth it but my guess is your restricted on time. So, just do what Rescue presented with the Santa Cruz area being the best. Pinto I have mixed feelings about there are about 4-5 throw away holes.

If you're in Petaluma, make sure you hit up Lagunitas Brewing. :thmbup: There's an unmapped 9-holer right down the street from it, but you'd be better off skipping it and drinking more beer.

^im at my cousins right now just down the street from there so for sure will be partaking in those actives tomorrow lol. we can get limited lagunitas in MN so been looking forward to seeing that place since i've been 21.

You should just man up and make a 6 hour drive up here to Humboldt. Get a hold of Caleb and you might be lucky enough to get to play Birds Of Paradise.

hmm.. 6 hours is not horrible but not my car either and realllllly don't know if i want to risk the ride solo. Its do-able but we will see. going to peep the BOP page right now and see what its all about.

Maxed out at restaurant tonight which was a old Hotel on west side of Richmond.. good time' CA always good for these and this sun is the $#!t. I haven't even wanted to play DG at home lol this weather has me itching!!

Oh, You might know this? Stafford and Skyline are pay to play ($5.00). GGP has random doubles on tues @ 2:30 pm. Can be fun or you can get stuck with a whiney pro, who would kick the dirt and sometimes his bag :-/ OK, 1 bad time out of 100+. I'm sure you know how random doubles can be :)

Wish I was going to be around, but like you, i'm off for the holidays. Have a great time!!!

Sorry, back again. Sounds like you're near P town (petaluma). If you like to have a few drinks? Moylins has some decent food, but great beers. Their barley wine (don't let the name fool you) is the best I've had.
Enjoy!

Sorry, back again. Sounds like you're near P town (petaluma). If you like to have a few drinks? Moylins has some decent food, but great beers. Their barley wine (don't let the name fool you) is the best I've had.
Enjoy!

Yep! in petaluma right now. will have to check out the Moylins and good looking out on dubs maybe ill stop up tomorrow.

Played Crane Creek today.. What a waste of a course really but at least its there. I look at that terrain and see so many cool holes but all you really need to worry about are roll aways lol. I think i threw a hyzer putter shot every hole except one tangent anny and a spike hyzer with a resistor... cool course though just imagine it would suck on a hot summer day out there'

...on to the next!

Hitting up Lucchesi Park with little cousin in a bit.

Sounds like an epic course...lol but hes only 7 so it will be fun no matter what'

The kid sunk a 50~ footer yesterday on his 2nd hole ever played was even a good shot for me!

photo_1.jpg

Future McBeast^

^ Played crane creek yesterday with a friend who is just starting out. Good beginner course. If you're in the east bay hit Moraga for sure...much better than Walnut Creek IMO.

Hotel Mac in Richmond? Good wine selection last time I was there, been a few years though. Some good breweries in the area as well.
:thmbup:

I am in Richmond today with the OG's and everybodys lol...might make it up to aquatic later and def. will be playing Golden Gate Park this coming Monday before we leave Tuesday. Ill have to see about Moraga and will be going back to Petaluma tomorrow night'

Yes Hotel Mac-- was nice!! Service well, ehhh!

This 70 and sunny sure beats back home below zero and snow.

I may not leave until March...lol im sure my aunt wouldnt care. . . Hmmm

This 70 and sunny sure beats back home below zero and snow.

I may not leave until March...lol im sure my aunt wouldnt care. . . Hmmm

Ha, if you end up staying hit me up and we can play some rounds.

Also, yeah moraga is light years ahead of walnut creek. I'm very happy Walnut Creek is around now, more courses in the area is a good problem to have

Lol i wish i could but would be out of business by end of Jan if that were to happen .

Damn real life. Vacation is exactly that no work stuff when normally on call 365 24/7 but it will be all over in few days.

Couldn't live here 4 sure' love visiting...

Latest posts